Value of: MAF to the Devils

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I'm losing faith in Blackwood and Bernier is out for god knows how long. Devils need to find stability in net and goaltending has been their Achilles heel this year. The Devils defensively have not been awful when looking at the metrics, yet they're bleeding goals. They're 10th in xGA / 60 in all situations.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
1) Fleury has 10 team no trade list and I’m guessing the Devils are very likely on it.

2) While Stan Bowman is toast he did agree to not trade Fleury against his will when he lured him to Chicago. I’m guessing being sent to a non-playoff Metro team is going to be a definite no-go for MAF and Chicago will try to make him happy if/when they pitch him on bidding playoff teams.

3) I assume they want a 1st/good shit for him and spending that on a 37 year old goalie is not a move Fitz will make.

4) Yes, Fitz should have found another goalie after Wedgewood was lost. Gillies as a Bernier & Wedge replacement is just sad. Bernier is out for the season and Blackwood is going to be gimpy for a long time with a post-surgery messed up heel and neck/back issues.

We’re basically f***ed at goal, just close your eyes and accept the pain.

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don't know how anyone can say Blackwood's performance is out of his hands unless you're referring to his glove hand often missing the shot completely, which actually in a way would mean his performance never really was in his hands in the first place. :laugh: And his five-hole has been really bad this year.

But if you guys are looking for a goalie, the Sharks may interest you in James Reimer. He's been absolutely stellar this year, but he's on a one-year deal and he's 33 but he's been really good and he's certainly not declining (his workload in his career hasn't been crazy). Willing to take a 2nd rd pick for him, any year.

Reactions: abo9

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I'm losing faith in Blackwood and Bernier is out for god knows how long. Devils need to find stability in net and goaltending has been their Achilles heel this year. The Devils defensively have not been awful when looking at the metrics, yet they're bleeding goals. They're 10th in xGA / 60 in all situations.
David Blitzer did an interview on MSG in between peroids of the Flyers game 3-4 weeks ago and said the organization was behind Fitz plan targeting the medium to long term. Giving up assets for a 37 year old goalie would not seem to fit into any medium to long term plan IMO.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Honestly think we need a goalie for the future and MAF isn't it. He's a target for someone trying to go for a deep playoff run.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
1) Fleury has 10 team no trade list and I’m guessing the Devils are very likely on it.

2) While Stan Bowman is toast he did agree to not trade Fleury against his will when he lured him to Chicago. I’m guessing being sent to a non-playoff Metro team is going to be a definite no-go for MAF and Chicago will try to make him happy if/when they pitch him on bidding playoff teams.

3) I assume they want a a 1st/good shit for him and spending that on a 37 year old goalie is not a move Fitz will make.

4) Yes, Fitz should have found another goalie after Wedgewood was lost. Gillies as a Bernier & Wedge replacement is just sad. Bernier is out for the season and Blackwood is going to be gimpy for a long time with a post-surgery messed up heel and neck/back issues.

We’re basically f***ed at goal, just close your eyes and accept the pain.
I was impressed by Daws and Schmid in the little action they had. To be thrown in like they were is tough. They handled ok. I haven't given up on Blackwood but i agree the lesh is short going fwd. A MAF is not tge best fit fie all the reasons stated, plus what is tghe return (which none of us will like)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I was impressed by Daws and Schmid in the little action they had. To be thrown in like they were is tough. They handled ok. I haven't given up on Blackwood but i agree the lesh is short going fwd. A MAF is not tge best fit fie all the reasons stated, plus what is tghe return (which none of us will like)
Both Daws and Schmid have each played 10 AHL games so far as pros, neither is ready.

Having either of these dudes sitting on the bench as a back-up or practicing with taxi squad for a long stretch instead of playing in the AHL is bad for their development. Gilles is the back-up and when he’s off the COVID list Schmid is presumably going back to the AHL. (Daws is still injured.) And we could really use a veteran AHL guy for the taxi squad but good luck digging one up now.

I think Blackwood is an excellent goalie when healthy but he has had real difficulty with the “healthy” thing. The endlessly problematic heel surgery mishap plus extra mysterious ailments is very on brand and he started the season injured. C’mon, he played two pre-season games and then was out for a month.

“He had some bumps & calluses removed from his heel!” “He’s rehabbing his heel!” “Oops, he had a setback!” “The heel going to cause him pain and be a problem for the rest of the season!” cool, cool

He was out for “neck problems” and not the heel but is suspiciously declared “healthy” when Gillies goes on the COVID protocol and then played like garbage (because he’s not healthy). This has happened before in his career when he’s been nursing random injuries but played a lot because we had literally no one else who wasn’t way worse.

The Bernier/Blackwood tandem played together for 17 games and who knows if Bernier will be back even next year. (The hip is supposed to be pretty bad.) We’re cursed and f***ed.

And again, we’re likely on Fleury’s 10 team non-trade list and he would probably threaten to immediately retire if the new Hawks GM tried to pull a dick move like trading him to the Devils (if we weren’t on his list somehow). And Fitz isn’t trading key assets for him.

The OP isn’t wrong though, we could really use another goalie but the team’s plan for now seems to be play a gimpy Blackwood into the ground.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think the Devils should have gone for Ullmark. Now he’s tied in Boston with an NMC

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
If they could move a fourth round pick and a third tier prospect for a veteran on an expiring contract who can at least be functional at the NHL level it wouldn’t be a big deal.

I doubt Chicago would go that low even for a 37 year old MAF

But if that's the price, I'd do it in a second.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
First it was Schneider's hip, then Crawford retired before playing a game with us, then Bernier's hip, Blackwood's everything.

Just accept that we used all our goaltending luck on Brodeur and are cursed for the next 50 years.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I think the cheeky play for NJ would be to get in on Koskinen when Edmonton finds their goalie

offer to be the “3rd team” and take on Say, koskinen+4th for Fiture Considerarions, then you get a more useful goalie than Gillies and grab an asset. NJ is a team that’s either gonna miss the PO or sneak in, so they shouldn’t waste assets just to get knocked out in rd 1

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: