OT: Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
They finish the floor yet?

A ways to go.

From the looks of it they have all of the reinforcing steel mesh down but I believe they'll be laying down a final layer of concrete as the rink base.

I'm sure the scoreboard and the rest of the construction will be completed before they begin freezing any water though.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
So I had the opportunity to speak with Dave Howard today.
Asked for his legal opinion on the Garden's lease, he said the only reason it was an issue is because its time for a mayoral election (and there is no incumbent) and that there won't be a problem ten years from now because it'll be in the middle of a mayor's term.
He said that the lease is basically a rubber stamp that is usually received as a matter of course for all arenas on a routine basis.
He said it's not unlikely that the Garden will receive a lease in perpetuity as they own the land and air rights.
He said the notion that you can recreate Penn into what Grand Center is now is a fantasy given the fiscal situation. The plans were 8 years ago would've cost the city 14 billion.
He also said moving in ten years is not an option as the plans for moving would've had to start now and it would in fact be a little late. He said the entire plan for Citi field when he was with the Mets started 14 years before it opened so even ten years isn't enough time for a place like MSG.
Oh and also that eminent domain would likely never be a factor with the city as they would cooperate if it made sense for them financially.
He said the post office plans didn't fall through mainly because of the tax break issue, but because the city and all the different railroads couldn't get their **** together in time and actually agree on something. To stay competitive with all these new arenas being built, they needed to build a new arena or completely redo MSG and they had a deadline on how long they would wait. This last part was way before he joined the company though fyi, so he didn't have any input on what happened there.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness style, I wanted to get as much down as I could before I forgot.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I didn't want to start a new thread, but have they announced any plans on where the new MSG is going to be.

I'm actually a flyers fan, but I attend a few flyers rangers at MSG yearly.

It also is weird that they would force MSG to move to renovate penn station. After they spent alot of money renovating MSG the last few years.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I didn't want to start a new thread, but have they announced any plans on where the new MSG is going to be.

I'm actually a flyers fan, but I attend a few flyers rangers at MSG yearly.

It also is weird that they would force MSG to move to renovate penn station. After they spent alot of money renovating MSG the last few years.

There's no plans because there's probably not going to be a new MSG for about 30 years.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
VR_Chase_Bridges_1_1.jpg

Vomit..........

Last edited:

SupersonicMonkey*

Hopefully that's what it looks like if you were standing behind the top row, which would make the bridge seem higher if you were seated.

Unfortunately that is probably wishful thinking.

These bridges are *** stupid.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
It's getting built. No amount of classist complaining will change any part of the renovation plan. I'm amazed that people are casting such judgments based on artist's conceptions, too.

If you don't like what's being done, pay for different seats or don't attend games in person.

There will be no issues selling the building out.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Is there some kind of rule that the bridges need to be brought up every few days? Those pictures are old, why are they still being brought up?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
do we have an idea what row that rendering is portraying the view from? hopefully it's behind the last row as puckrush suggested.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
that picture is over 1 year old, and nobody has seen proof of what the view behind the bridges is except for the few construction pictures we have, and the limit views on the rangers iomedia website.

Everything above row 15-18 will be behind the bridges is my thought. I think they're being built higher than originally planed

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Is there some kind of rule that the bridges need to be brought up every few days? Those pictures are old, why are they still being brought up?

I would say probably because that's the current 'phase' of the renovation being implemented? Only makes sense that people would want to discuss what's currently under construction. That and the fact that the bridges will drastically change the appearance of the Garden's ceiling and will have an impact on the viewing experience of the fans who sit in the upper bowl

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I would say probably because that's the current 'phase' of the renovation being implemented? Only makes sense that people would want to discuss what's currently under construction. That and the fact that the bridges will drastically change the appearance of the Garden's ceiling and will have an impact on the viewing experience of the fans who sit in the upper bowl

OK, and this needs to be brought up once a week for what reason? Bridges are going up, nobody here likes the idea, we get it. I have tickets in row 21 of the upper bowl. I am worried about my view, but do not feel the need to complain about it over and over again. If I go to the home opener and my view is seriously hindered, I am going to complain to my rep and see what can be done.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
I need to see these things in person to really judge them. In the end it won't really bother me since I focus on the ice for most of the time anyway. It's certainly not gonna stop me from coming to games. I do imagine it would be rather unnerving to sit directly beneath those bridges though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad