Signing(s): Madison Bumgarner signs with the Diamondbacks (5 years, $85 million)

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks, Hazen. While Orioles sucks so much, i'm on Dbacks train. Good job, good job. Hazen is so good.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I did not want the Angels to sign Bumgarner so I’m ok with this. If we miss out on both Ryu and Keuchel, then I’ll start to worry.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I did not want the Angels to sign Bumgarner so I’m ok with this. If we miss out on both Ryu and Keuchel, then I’ll start to worry.
I know he's not the guy he was in 2012-2015 but he's much better than Ryu and Keuchel.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I know he's not the guy he was in 2012-2015 but he's much better than Ryu and Keuchel.

bumgarner is better than both those guys
Bumgarner had an ERA over 5 on the road last season, and has been trending the wrong way for awhile. Ryu and Keuchel won’t have the same term commitments, and Keuchel being a ground ball pitcher, is a very good fit with our great infield defense

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not surprised. Madbum now gets to face his former team 3-4 times a year.

He seems like that type of dude lol

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Bumgarner had an ERA over 5 on the road last season, and has been trending the wrong way for awhile. Ryu and Keuchel won’t have the same term commitments, and Keuchel being a ground ball pitcher, is a very good fit with our great infield defense
Plus Bumgarner has a draft pick attached to him while the others do not

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So apparently the fact that he owns a couple horses in the Phoenix area won him over. I.E it was D-Backs or bust as long as the offer was good enough. I love that guy.

Just imagine the money he would have made had he been a free agent after that insane 2014 run.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
So apparently the fact that he owns a couple horses in the Phoenix area won him over. I.E it was D-Backs or bust as long as the offer was good enough. I love that guy.

Just imagine the money he would have made had he been a free agent after that insane 2014 run.
Hopefully the giants will now stop trying to chase there even year magic days and move one from the rest of their remaining core. I don't think poesy is that valuable as a first basemen though for the giants or as a trade asset.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hopefully the giants will now stop trying to chase there even year magic days and move one from the rest of their remaining core. I don't think poesy is that valuable as a first basemen though for the giants or as a trade asset.

They won't be able to trade Posey until next year if at all due to his contract. Same with most of their big contracts. They'll probably trade Samardzija this year since his contract is expiring but Posey, Belt, Crawford, and Cueto all expire next year and Longoria the year after that. They should be able to get something good out of Samardzija but that's about it for now. They still have at least two or three seasons of basement dwelling while these contracts play themselves out.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Still not sure why the non-tendered Pillar. Yeah, he doesn't get on base, but everyone knew that before the trade. He covers a ton of ground on that field.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Ouf, that's quite a decent amount to swallow for a mid-market team.

This signing was a classic case of paying a guy for what he did and not what he was about to do.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I was nervous the Giants would resign him - it was clear he was in full decline the last two years before his contract ended. At this point, I think he's done - maybe he gets one more chance, but I doubt it'll change anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->