Value of: madison bowey to toronto

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Leaf fan respectfully asking: a) do the Caps have any interest/need in trading Bowey for an upgrade in any area of their teams structure and if so, b) what would be the return they would be asking for?

I acknowledge he's a valuable player with good upside, but I'd also suggest that he's not yet fleshed out to be the player he was hoped to be. I'm not trying to insult him, I like him, but because he's still an AHLer (ttbomk) I can't see the Leaf's doing a move where Cap fans ask for a Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Rielly/Gardiner/JVR type return.

With that said, is there a player/players/prospect/combination of picks that might entice Washington?

yay

While I personally agree with you in saying that Bowey hasnt developed as well as hoped, he is still very important to the Caps plans and his value is high for that reason. Over the next two off seasons both Karl Alzner and John Carlson will be hitting UFA and Dmitry Orlov and Nate Schmidt will be arb eligible RFAs. Guys like Bowey (better than average, close to NHL ready) will be needed to help fill in those gaps cheap.

I feel the only real things the Caps should consider in a trade for Bowey would be a similar high end D prospect, which of course would defeat the purpose, or the type of player on your No Trade list (many of which would obviously have the Caps adding.)

[Edit: damn phone autocorrect]

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
I think the only way to lure Bowey away from the Caps is as a part of a bigger deal that balances Caps cap structure a little better.

Say, Bowey, Orpik and a high pick

For

JVR (1M rsa) and Polak.

Caps could then ice

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
JVR-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Johansson-Eller-Williams
Winnik-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-Niskanen
Orlov-Carlson
Schmidt-Polak

Holtby

They'd also be in a better position with regards to re-signing their free agents next off season (Kuznetsov, Oshie, Burakovsky, Alzner, Orlov, Schmidt, Williams).

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
I think the only way to lure Bowey away from the Caps is as a part of a bigger deal that balances Caps cap structure a little better.

Say, Bowey, Orpik and a high pick

For

JVR (1M rsa) and Polak.

Caps could then ice

Ovechkin- -Oshie
JVR-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Johansson-Eller-Williams
Winnik-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-Niskanen
Orlov-Carlson
Schmidt-Polak

Holtby

They'd also be in a better position with regards to re-signing their free agents next off season (Kuznetsov, Oshie, Burakovsky, Alzner, Orlov, Schmidt, Williams).

This is a joke right? JVR with retention for garbage

How about Kuznetsov with a million retained for Hunwick, Leivo and a 2nd then

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Cap fans and their delusions over draft pick values. :shakehead

How many 30th overall picks over the last two decades played more then 20 games in the NHL? I don't even need to look to tell you it's probably zero or one.

Despres, Rakell, Pearson and thats just from 2006 to 2012. So you can take your probably's outta here.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It's actually 9 that have played more than 20 games since 1996. That said Bowney and a 2017 1st probably would get you JVR from Toronto,

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps wont trade Bowey. No need. Top 4 defenseman are really hard to get out of other organEYEzations. Its better to draft and develop your own. See the Caps. Carlson, Alzner, Orlov and Schmidt are all home grown. Oprik and Niskanen were expensive ufa's.

Oprik is aging out and the Caps will lose one of the two young D to expansion. They will need to 2 d in the next couple of years. If Bowey is a top 4, they have to keep him

Meanwhile, if the Caps draft 30th with a cup. You can have Bowey for nothing

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
You can have Bowie if you take Orpik too. So maybe something like Bowie and Oprik for Polak and 2nd round pick.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Leaf fan respectfully asking: a) do the Caps have any interest/need in trading Bowey for an upgrade in any area of their teams structure and if so, b) what would be the return they would be asking for?

I acknowledge he's a valuable player with good upside, but I'd also suggest that he's not yet fleshed out to be the player he was hoped to be. I'm not trying to insult him, I like him, but because he's still an AHLer (ttbomk) I can't see the Leaf's doing a move where Cap fans ask for a Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Rielly/Gardiner/JVR type return.

With that said, is there a player/players/prospect/combination of picks that might entice Washington?

No thanks, then.

DrTucker

Jan 29, 2015
Halifax

Yeah Bowey nets nowhere near a return like that. There is no reasonable person who would even think of asking for anything like that for Bowey

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Yeah Bowey nets nowhere near a return like that. There is no reasonable person who would even think of asking for anything like that for Bowey

The OP asked if we were willing to speak about a trade and if so what we'd like in return. There is no reason for the CAPS to trade the player so in order to get the conversation going names you don't want to trade are going to get bandied about. That's not to say that's what it will take but a lot depends on who picks up the phone and makes the call. You know this so your indignation is misplaced.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Leafs have a number of forwards with top 9 potential outside of the big 3. I love Bowey and if he develops to his full potential he'd bring an element of size and physicality we currently lack. What about straight up for one of Kapanen/Leipsic/Bracco?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Interesting, I think I've seen this thread (or some slight variation of it) somewhere before. Perhaps even within the past 4 months?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2104091

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2107617

These threads have an established format. Toronto fan asks for Bowey while simultaneously spouting some nonsense about how he's not developing properly or he's behind 7 or 8 guys on the Caps. Same Leafs fan proceeds to remove all incentive for the Caps by placing essentially every worthwhile asset on an untouchables list. Caps fans reply there's no reason for us to trade Bowey for any of Toronto's expendable forward prospects. Wash...rinse....

Leafs have a number of forwards with top 9 potential outside of the big 3. I love Bowey and if he develops to his full potential he'd bring an element of size and physicality we currently lack. What about straight up for one of Kapanen/Leipsic/Bracco?

Kapanen is probably the best of those options and the Caps have a superior prospect in Vrana. Simply stated Wsh and Tor are not good trading partners today as far as Bowey (or really any D) is concerned.

And to put the final point on my thoughts on this proposal; in no way is Bowey progressing in any way othen than exactly as expected. His growth curve for his post-draft year was astronomical, since then his progress has been more measured as he's eased in to the AHL by a coaching staff and organization that seems like they know how to develop Dmen. Bowey looked NHL-ready in the pre-season and my guess is the Expansion Draft will essentially mark Bowey's graduation to full-time duty on the Caps when Orlov or Schmidt are taken. All that beside the ridiculous notion that a team would trade a prospect that has "not yet fleshed out to be the player he was hoped to be" before his 22nd birthday. We did it once with Forsberg, we're not exactly scrambling to do it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: