Madden 18

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Madden 17 was the best playing Madden game in years, period, and it made NHL look horrible in comparison.

But I already own Madden 17 and most of the improvements in 18 were to game modes I'll never touch, so...meh.

Bought Madden 17 at Black Friday last year for 30 USD. Didn't regret it at all. Started playing again over the weekend. The fact that you can now download rosters really is a game changer and one that's gonna make me keep playing 17 instead of buying 18, especially since I play franchise 98% of the time. I used to only do fantasy drafts when playing the game after a year, but now I can keep playing with the right teams and real rosters, pretty fun!

Will skip this one and wait for reviews of NHL 18 to see if I buy it (again based on franchise mode). Haven't bought it since like 2013.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Question for you franchise players in either 17 or 18. How is the progression of players? I know the last Madden game I played, (i forget which year) there were huge progression issues. Have they fixed the sim stats? Do you get close to realistic stats when you supersim?

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Question for you franchise players in either 17 or 18. How is the progression of players? I know the last Madden game I played, (i forget which year) there were huge progression issues. Have they fixed the sim stats? Do you get close to realistic stats when you supersim?

Can only talk for 2017:

Simming? Yes. Supersimming? No.

Supersim, I've seen numerous teams cross the field on 15 3-4 yds rush in one drive. Supersimming a game, RBs often end games with 30-40 rushing attempts. Not realistic at all.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Can only talk for 2017:

Supersim, I've seen numerous teams cross the field on 15 3-4 yds rush in one drive. Supersimming a game, RBs often end games with 30-40 rushing attempts. Not realistic at all.

Shame, I just don't have the time anymore to be playing full games like I used to.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Long shot is a good idea, poorly executed. A story that long you HAVE to at least give the option to skip over some talking. There's not much interaction in the first 2+ hours of it. I just passed the legends game and it took me all last night and this morning to do. I planned on doing it over and answering the questions differently but it's a full time job to even power through it

And come to find out, there's no real end game to it. Can't continue his NFL career.... all gets thrown into MUT. Wasted hours for me

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I ended up turning everything off and turned on the orchestrial music. I couldn't take it anymore.

I've simmed three seasons so far and I can't spot any changes with the draft yet.

Gameplay wise, the ratings feel like they matter more. I was playing with a QB that was rated in the 60s and I had accuracy problems. I think this is a positive.

The pass dropping is back. I think it took them a couple weeks last year to fix this.

Supersim feels different. It seems like your defense gives up more points when simming during games.

AI route running is still poor and a point of frustration.

That's good about the draft.
I've noticed at times Dak will go all Hackenberg on short to medium passes. Tried to hit Beasley on a slant across the middle and it ended up hitting Dez on a Go route. 20+ yards off target. Every once in a while, with no pressure or scrambling I will have an extremely off pass. Tad annoying when it's a short pass and not a bomb.

I had to bump the Slider to 60 for catching the ball. Went 17 out of 40 one game and I gave up on keeping it at 50.

Can only talk for 2017:

I've done some supersimming for the defense, and yea, the CPU will run the ball a lot, minus the Packers. Carlos Hyde had 36 carries for 120 yards(including OT), majority of it came off simming.

Think the Packers ran the ball 8 times lol.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Jeez... my receivers drop so many passes. And I can't seem to win on all-pro after killing the computer on all-madden about five years ago. Did the AI get so much better or something?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Jeez... my receivers drop so many passes. And I can't seem to win on all-pro after killing the computer on all-madden about five years ago. Did the AI get so much better or something?

I bet you go a difficulty lower and win like 100-0 huh. Always happens to me. Too easy or too hard a lot of the time

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
It really is incredible how the AI is. Every hit causes a fumble, they catch everything, etc. And your players can't catch anything.

I just had seven fumbles and a pick in the game I just finished. I lost, of course.

Jul 10, 2010
It really is incredible how the AI is. Every hit causes a fumble, they catch everything, etc. And your players can't catch anything.

I just had seven fumbles and a pick in the game I just finished. I lost, of course.

are you playing on Arcade? Arcade has fumbles every second or third hit.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I just lost 45-7... five fumbles and four picks...

Edit: To the computer, not to someone online.

I'm getting slightly better at passing. It really matters nowadays if you choose a bullet, touch, or lob passes it seems. You make one mistake and it's most likely picked.

I still feel like Madden eases up on you or makes it so hard depending on the random game. The Vikings decimated me but then I squeaked out a win versus the Pats somehow. I still have fun playing nonetheless.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The AI catches everything on defense. It's so annoying.

Five more fumbles last night in another loss... I feel like I should find a new game to play since I'm so bad.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I've been playing since launch and overall I think it's a pretty great game. I really only play franchise mode and it is so just mind blowing how far ahead of NHL it is. It really is just about on par with 2k maybe even slightly better. Gameplay wise I think it is very strong as well. Overalls matter and it feels very realistic playing on simulation. My only complaint is the amount of passes my receivers drop. It is incredibly frustrating how often they drop passes either it just bouncing off their hands or the computer somehow lining them up for a monster hit to knock it out every time. And the catching and spectacular catch attributes don't seem to affect this a whole lot. It seems the only consistent passes I complete are 5 or 6 yard dumps and anything over 10 yards has about a 40/60 or worse chance of completion even on perfectly placed balls. There's no way a receiver should drop the ball from a corner tackling from behind but it happens way too often. Injuries seem to come in waves too. I'll have no or very few injuries one season, keep a majority of the team, and next year my qb, running back, and #1 wr will all be out in the same game on top of 5 or 6 other guys from weeks before. I haven't played longshot yet but the idea seems good as long as it is like 2ks story mode. I don't care for MUT at all but seems like it is the same with some added legends for those into it. Overall this was the first Madden I've bought since 15 because i usually would only buy it for a few weeks then get NHL and it would collect dust but I am very impressed. I don't think I am getting NHL this year unless their Franchise mode can come close to Maddens which I am not expecting. I would give this game a 9/10 and on par any other sports game in the genre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad