Madden 18

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I can't run worth a damn in the game.

Need to figure out which runs are more successful.

Even with the Dallas line and Zeke, I had 8 carries for -2 yards at one point. Feels like the linebackers know exactly what is called before the snap. Ended up with 24 carries for 46 yards. Tried dives, stretches, pitches etc. Only 2 games in so that could change.

Definitely a change in the graphics. Some players look good, and Jeff Heath(for example) looks creepy AF.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
ahhhhh, the good 'ol lets bring back something old and call it a new feature EA sales pitch. Never gets old

I think I read that they are bringing back receiver shadowing. Of course, they are saying that is a "new feature" when it existed a few years back.

I pre-ordered it since it was cheaper using Amazon Prime, and that I hadn't played a Madden game since Sherman was on the cover (I think that was '15). I don't have high expectations for it, though.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Did I read right that the NCAA EA games are back, or is that all just still fan made stuff?

Those were literally the only reason I used to buy the Madden game. So I could import my NCAA draft classes.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Already pre-order the standard version. I don't know if that means I will play the game early or will get the game at the standard release date. The new passing mechanic has me worried, but I will adapt.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Already pre-order the standard version. I don't know if that means I will play the game early or will get the game at the standard release date. The new passing mechanic has me worried, but I will adapt.

If you got it through EA Access (XBox One) then you get 10 hours of access 4 days early (which is basically the only reason my XBone gets turned on anymore). Otherwise you're waiting until release date.

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm a franchise/owner mode-only player and they didn't touch that mode this year apparently...couple that with ever-decreasing interest in the NFL and I feel like I should kick the annual purchase cycle if they're not going to touch the one game mode I play.

Sep 19, 2008
If you got it through EA Access (XBox One) then you get 10 hours of access 4 days early (which is basically the only reason my XBone gets turned on anymore). Otherwise you're waiting until release date.

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm a franchise/owner mode-only player and they didn't touch that mode this year apparently...couple that with ever-decreasing interest in the NFL and I feel like I should kick the annual purchase cycle if they're not going to touch the one game mode I play.

The sad thing is most of these games don't add anything new to franchise or owner mode...it's all about MUT and online play now. I think the funny thing about 17 is how you can't change preseason opponents. I went through like 6 or 7 years of playing the same teams in the preseason :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The sad thing is most of these games don't add anything new to franchise or owner mode...it's all about MUT and online play now. I think the funny thing about 17 is how you can't change preseason opponents. I went through like 6 or 7 years of playing the same teams in the preseason :laugh:

Yeah, and when you see how much money they make off those modes it feels like it's only going to be harder and harder to get the sports game that I actually want.

Sigh. Multiplayer ruins everything I like :laugh::cry::rant:

Oh, how I miss NCAA Football. Recruiting, custom schedules, the ability to create a few teams (even if it was via importing), more variation in the gameplay...

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Yeah, and when you see how much money they make off those modes it feels like it's only going to be harder and harder to get the sports game that I actually want.

Sigh. Multiplayer ruins everything I like :laugh::cry::rant:

Oh, how I miss NCAA Football. Recruiting, custom schedules, the ability to create a few teams (even if it was via importing), more variation in the gameplay...

Madden games have been trash for a while now. Like I posted above, literally the only reason I used to get them was so I could import my NCAA draft classes.

And even then, I still barely played.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, thinking about things now I think I've only skipped one version of Madden since my primary console was the Dreamcast - and that was because Madden 10 came out while I was studying abroad some 4,000 miles away from my 360...and there's no reason for that to be considering how much less I play Madden than NHL or NCAA on average (and I've skipped multiple versions of NHL in that time frame). From around about Madden 03 until 13 the only reason I got the game was to import my NCAA draft classes and see how they did in Madden...I simmed more than I played. Now without the draft classes to import I think I just get Madden more out of habit than anything. I probably should stop that...

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
Madden games have been trash for a while now. Like I posted above, literally the only reason I used to get them was so I could import my NCAA draft classes.

And even then, I still barely played.

Honestly, this is just objectively untrue. If you go back just 3 years there has been such a massive improvement in the game compared to virtually any other sports title. I'm curious what people are expecting from sports games. And, let's also ignore the big add this year was obviously Longshot which is not a microtranscation based game mode.

Sep 19, 2008
I used to be in the "Madden is trash" boat but honestly it isn't that bad. It still does the job. There are a few glitches which I already described but you can still get some fun out of running a franchise mode.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Honestly, this is just objectively untrue. If you go back just 3 years there has been such a massive improvement in the game compared to virtually any other sports title. I'm curious what people are expecting from sports games. And, let's also ignore the big add this year was obviously Longshot which is not a microtranscation based game mode.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm so much more a College fan than an NFL fan. I routinely used to book off a week from work when the EA NCAA game came out every year and dive into it hard. The Madden, and to a lesser extent, the NHL games, I buy every year just cause I feel like I have to.

The NHL games are still loads of fun, I just find Madden boring, and I agree with what Big posted above. Without the added intrigue of my imported draft classes, there's like zero reason to play franchise mode, or w/e they are calling it these days.

You don't have a flag, but I'm assuming from your avatar that you are Canadian?

If you haven't lived College sports in the US like a lot of the Americans here have, or at least are knowledgeable about them, you might not understand how deeply College athletics runs for a lot of us.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
This year's soundtrack is painful to listen to.

Yea...

Almost done with the 10 hour early access and I've turned off a lot of songs. Man, listen, listen man listen, man.

Slowly getting used to the changes in play from 17 to 18, but feel like All-Madden is a step harder this year compared to last year.
Just about every game has gone down to the wire.

Edit, still haven't gotten to the draft yet. I've noticed in M17, draft classes got weak 5-8 years in. Dunno if it was just random luck or what.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Maybe it's just the fact that I'm so much more a College fan than an NFL fan. I routinely used to book off a week from work when the EA NCAA game came out every year and dive into it hard. The Madden, and to a lesser extent, the NHL games, I buy every year just cause I feel like I have to.

The NHL games are still loads of fun, I just find Madden boring, and I agree with what Big posted above. Without the added intrigue of my imported draft classes, there's like zero reason to play franchise mode, or w/e they are calling it these days.

You don't have a flag, but I'm assuming from your avatar that you are Canadian?

If you haven't lived College sports in the US like a lot of the Americans here have, or at least are knowledgeable about them, you might not understand how deeply College athletics runs for a lot of us.

Madden has made great improvements recently, it's far from trash. Your posts come across as someone who has not played for a couple of years.

Affinity for College sports has nothing to do with whether Madden is trash or not.

Saying the games are trash is just simply not true.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Madden has made great improvements recently, it's far from trash. Your posts come across as someone who has not played for a couple of years.

Affinity for College sports has nothing to do with whether Madden is trash or not.

Saying the games are trash is just simply not true.

Was going to say, Madden has made a huge jump in a lot of areas the past 2 years. Gameplay, graphics, physics. Franchise mode is good, and you can edit the entire draft class/any player, post draft, if you want to have "realistic" future drafts.

So, if you have time to burn, you can make just about everyone from the 2018 draft class if you want.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Was going to say, Madden has made a huge jump in a lot of areas the past 2 years. Gameplay, graphics, physics. Franchise mode is good, and you can edit the entire draft class/any player, post draft, if you want to have "realistic" future drafts.

So, if you have time to burn, you can make just about everyone from the 2018 draft class if you want.

Yup, Madden makes the NHL franchise look like a piece of flaming poop.

I usually buy madden every 2nd season and after the disappointment of NHL 16 and 17 I wont be buying an NHL for quite a while.

I do hope that Madden has improved the franchise relocation with customizable uniforms, stadiums, logos etc. that is the only thing that NHL 17 did right.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Madden 17 was the best playing Madden game in years, period, and it made NHL look horrible in comparison.

But I already own Madden 17 and most of the improvements in 18 were to game modes I'll never touch, so...meh.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Yea...

Almost done with the 10 hour early access and I've turned off a lot of songs. Man, listen, listen man listen, man.

Slowly getting used to the changes in play from 17 to 18, but feel like All-Madden is a step harder this year compared to last year.
Just about every game has gone down to the wire.

Edit, still haven't gotten to the draft yet. I've noticed in M17, draft classes got weak 5-8 years in. Dunno if it was just random luck or what.

I ended up turning everything off and turned on the orchestrial music. I couldn't take it anymore.

I've simmed three seasons so far and I can't spot any changes with the draft yet.

Gameplay wise, the ratings feel like they matter more. I was playing with a QB that was rated in the 60s and I had accuracy problems. I think this is a positive.

The pass dropping is back. I think it took them a couple weeks last year to fix this.

Supersim feels different. It seems like your defense gives up more points when simming during games.

AI route running is still poor and a point of frustration.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Quick question, when did Madden abandon the deep "Be a Pro" mode? I think it was 07 or 08 I got DEEP into it and really enjoyed it, played a couple of season in 17 and it's so... meh.. It's basically, "oh created character? 70 rating? Here's 1st string minutes, just play and meet goals and yah, never get any feedback or anything, goodluck". I miss doing the interviews and all that jazz. These "Utimate Team" modes are killing EA Games.. too worried about those microtransactions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad