TV: Mad Men All-Purpose Thread: I'd Like to Buy The World a Coke...

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Eyjee wrote in the last thread...
"Kind of the definition of an anti-hero, no? Tony Soprano and Walter White. You root for them when you know you shouldn't."

Yes I cheered for both tony and Walter however they both did die in the end which was the right thing and satisfied me as a viewer. Instead, Don ended up with the greatest success of his career. And he didn't deserve that.
(Yes I know Tony's death is up for debate. I think he died)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Eyjee wrote in the last thread...
"Kind of the definition of an anti-hero, no? Tony Soprano and Walter White. You root for them when you know you shouldn't."

Yes I cheered for both tony and Walter however they both did die in the end which was the right thing and satisfied me as a viewer. Instead, Don ended up with the greatest success of his career. And he didn't deserve that.
(Yes I know Tony's death is up for debate. I think he died)

But that's who Don is. A successful piece of ****. He has been established that way from the start and he never changed. That's what makes him a "tragic" character, IMO. No matter how successful he is, he will always be a mess and ALWAYS make people aren't him miserable. In a nutshell, he is a very toxic person. Success doesn't bring happiness and Don is a perfect example of that.

I agree with you that we are not supposed to like him; he is pretty unlikable. The way he treats most people is just wrong. He is selfish, arrogant, overconfident and manipulative. It is not a surprise that he succeeds in a shark environment like Madison Avenue :)

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
But that's who Don is. A successful piece of ****. He has been established that way from the start and he never changed. That's what makes him a "tragic" character, IMO. No matter how successful he is, he will always be a mess and ALWAYS make people aren't him miserable. In a nutshell, he is a very toxic person. Success doesn't bring happiness and Don is a perfect example of that.

I agree with you that we are not supposed to like him; he is pretty unlikable. The way he treats most people is just wrong. He is selfish, arrogant, overconfident and manipulative. It is not a surprise that he succeeds in a shark environment like Madison Avenue :)

I agree that this is the point over most of the series, but I think the character development is supposed to paint him in a more sympathetic light. The point of the final episode is to show that what Don really wants, for all his pride and bluster, is for someone to care about him, and he never really got that. That's why he was so close with Peggy (and Roger, to some extents).

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Just finished a watching of the series from the start of the third season on. AMA!

Did anyone feel like Peggy's story ends on an empty note? She finds a guy, hooray, but now she's a tiny cog in the wheel at a giant firm and I don't think they think she's anything special. I understand a series can't wrap up everyone's story unless they are going to do that "Peggy went on to become....." stuff which is a little too literal for this show.....but still, thoughts?

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I stopped watching before the final season. Is it worth continuing? It's easy to forget now but Mad Men had that "one of the best shows on television" tag for a couple of years before fizzling out and being overtaken by the likes of Breaking Bad.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I stopped watching before the final season. Is it worth continuing? It's easy to forget now but Mad Men had that "one of the best shows on television" tag for a couple of years before fizzling out and being overtaken by the likes of Breaking Bad.

I thought so. I don't know where you felt it "fizzled out" for you, because I found season 4, 5 and 6 to be pretty top notch. Season 7 is good, maybe not overall great, but with some classic episodes.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Watched a couple of episodes and could never get into it. The writing and acting just seemed so damn stiff and on the nose.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Watched a couple of episodes and could never get into it. The writing and acting just seemed so damn stiff and on the nose.

Yeah, that's some people's take on it. It was mine at first after the first few episodes of season one. I'm glad I stuck it out.

member 51464

Having watched all of both series, I think Mad Men is just on a whole higher level of being than Breaking Bad. BB for me was just a bit too, I don't know, stylized and silly for me. I like the slow burn of Mad Men. But on rewatch a while back, I definitely can see how it would be tough to someone just getting into it. I do not care for the flashbacks to Dick Whitman's childhood at all, but other than that, I think it is a fantastic show.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
It never fizzled out at all and Breaking Bad never held a candle to it. So yes, the final season is very worth watching.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

The show is essentially a glass of really nice Scotch. You enjoy it slowly over a long period of time and any other way would be a waste. It's one of my favorite shows ever

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The show is essentially a glass of really nice Scotch. You enjoy it slowly over a long period of time and any other way would be a waste. It's one of my favorite shows ever

While I agree, sometimes you just can't help yourself and drink a little too much too quick.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
My wife and I are on our last episode. Awesome show. Ranked right up there with Breaking Bad, Shameless, etc...

f***, people cheated a lot in that industry. I guess that's what happens when alcohol and beauty mix. Fun time to live in if you were the right gender and color!

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I thought so. I don't know where you felt it "fizzled out" for you, because I found season 4, 5 and 6 to be pretty top notch. Season 7 is good, maybe not overall great, but with some classic episodes.
I honestly dont think there was a bad season, though my standards aren't very high. I love the humor in this show. Subtle but effective.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Having watched all of both series, I think Mad Men is just on a whole higher level of being than Breaking Bad. BB for me was just a bit too, I don't know, stylized and silly for me. I like the slow burn of Mad Men. But on rewatch a while back, I definitely can see how it would be tough to someone just getting into it. I do not care for the flashbacks to Dick Whitman's childhood at all, but other than that, I think it is a fantastic show.

I think the first episode I watched was when they went on a picnic. I thought "OK, cool retro feel, cars are very cool, costumes harkened back to a different time", but what sold me was the details, like when they get up to leave the picnic spot, they just leave their garbage on the grass. I thought ugh, but yes people used to do that*, I was a kid in the 60's and 70's and they started the "Keep America Clean" campaign and the crying "indigenous" guy on the side of the road ad, so it as a problem. Little details like that sold me on it. Sure Don was a jerk, and they addressed the societal issues of the day without breaking out of the focus on Jerk Don winding his way through life.

*(Living near a holiday beach destination, I have come to realize that people still do that)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Just finished it and loved it. Never really heard of it until John Hamm was on Spittin Chiclets which for me to start watching it.

Was hooked from the start and binge watched it. I already want to rewatch it. I love when shows are based in the 70’s etc.

Crazy how causal drinking and cheating was. I mean cheating isn’t much better now I suppose, but it was almost to be expected that it was going to happen when you got married.

Not sure how I feel on the ending yet. May have to rewatch the last episode again.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I am fully going thru it for the first time right now, about half way thru season 3 (just saw the British guy get his foot mauled). I loved the pacing of the show, fast forwarding every season and even between episodes. There are overarching storylines, but most episodes can be enjoyed on their own.

The characters really drive the show, certainly one of the all time great ensemble casts. Christina Hendricks was so damn good in that role. Roger Sterling is IMO the most entertaining character, every scene he is in has you laughing. January Jones plays the oblivious wife so well. Pete Campbell you love to hate.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Just finished it and loved it. Never really heard of it until John Hamm was on Spittin Chiclets which for me to start watching it.

Was hooked from the start and binge watched it. I already want to rewatch it. I love when shows are based in the 70’s etc.

Crazy how causal drinking and cheating was. I mean cheating isn’t much better now I suppose, but it was almost to be expected that it was going to happen when you got married.

Not sure how I feel on the ending yet. May have to rewatch the last episode again.
Small fix, but Mad Men was based in the 60s, which is an amazing time period to set a show up in. A lot of historical achievements + a lot of gender/race roles were beginning to be challenged. Trudy, Pete's wife, would've been looked at as progressive, or a bad wife depending on who you ask, for leaving his ass after all of his affairs.

Still my favorite show ever. I don't have time to watch through it again, so I get my fix through clips on Youtube, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad