Movies: Mad Max: Furiosa (2024)

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Fury Road was apparently an incredibly brutal shoot, so I suppose it's no surprise that they didn't go to the same lengths to film this one.

Not gonna lie, you can see the difference in that trailer. I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's going to be nearly impossible to live up to Fury Road.

Reactions: Hivemind and Kurtz

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the trailer earlier today and didn't like the look of it at all. It looked way too stylized and fake for my taste. I wasn't really a fan of Fury Road, either, but at least it looked more believable.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Gibson > Hardy > Nothing
Theron > Taylor-Joy

Not sure I give a damn about this universe anymore, seems a plug-and-play with the characters now.
Will download it for the visuals. The 3D on the last one was top-notch:thumbu:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I've gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed by the trailer.

It looks cheap. Looks like it was mostly shot on a volume stage. Lots of mediocre CGI.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
George Miller is 78, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't too keen on spending nearly six months filming in the desert again. It's unfortunate, since the franchise is known for its cinematography and practical filmmaking.

I wonder if it's going to end up underperforming. It has a whopping $230M budget and Fury Road made only $380M at the box office. This will have to do a lot better than Fury Road in order to break even, and that could be hard if audiences are lukewarm on it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It looks very CG and being a direct prequel with Immortan Joe and his gang heavily involved wasn't the best choice.

Unfortunately it's a really rough time to release with a young lead who isn't a superstar, and Chris Hemsworth is currently associated with Marvel fatigue.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I won't be surprised if Furiosa has more CGI than Fury Road, though they still went to the outback and filmed most of the movie on location. They are likely going to use more CGI for some of the stunts and such than in Fury Road, as Fury Road's practical effects (touched up with CGI and such) look incredible, it came with tons of filming problems.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
People don't hate CGI, they hate when they notice something is CGI.

Fury Road was a VFX triumph, both in terms of incredible extent they went thru for practical in-camera effects, but also its CGI. Those reels showing off the practical effects are incredible, but they also aren't the final versions of those shots that made it into the movie, either. There's tons of CGI that goes into readying those shots for the final release, let alone the giant CGI & matte painting set pieces like the "don't become addicted to water" or sandstorm scenes. Heck, the movie was released in 3D and featured some pretty blatant CGI "throwing stuff at the viewer" moments.

The issue with the Furiosa trailer is that we're noticing it's CGI. The missing arm and prosthetics feel way more blatant than they did in Fury Road, for example. The last shot of the trailer with her removing her mask feels like a CGI double entirely, and almost looks like it's out of Alita. I'd be willing to bet there's still a ton of practical effects in Furiosa, but the CGI elements stick out much more in this trailer than they did in Fury Road.

Here's to hoping that some of these VFX shots get polished to feel more "real" between now and release. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
George Miller is 78, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't too keen on spending nearly six months filming in the desert again. It's unfortunate, since the franchise is known for its cinematography and practical filmmaking.

I wonder if it's going to end up underperforming. It has a whopping $230M budget and Fury Road made only $380M at the box office. This will have to do a lot better than Fury Road in order to break even, and that could be hard if audiences are lukewarm on it.
If you film in Australia and use a mostly Australian cast and crew the project can qualify for a 40% rebate.

Considering how important Miller and Mad Max is to the film industry down under, I'm assuming they'll be getting the full rebate.

I only know this because I recently contributed money to a indie film, and they plan on shooting in Australia because of the tax incentive.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Will Mel Gibson return to his role as a Mad Max?
for-real.gif

Yeah sure. He will fight the Ukrainian "Golddiggerosa" on "Sugar T*t Island" in the second act.

Reactions: Hivemind

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
No Max, no buy. I liked Furiosa in Fury Road. This just looks boring which is weird for a Mad Max movie.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
We can argue about that, but an origin story for Furiosa is not interesting at all when we already know what happens.
Prequels can be great. Better Call Saul, Godfather II, The Phantom Menace

One reason to have hope here is Miller commissioned back stories to each of the main characters during the Fury Road production. They apparently put a lot of thought into those characters, even if they didn't say much.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Prequels can be great. Better Call Saul, Godfather II, The Phantom Menace

One reason to have hope here is Miller commissioned back stories to each of the main characters during the Fury Road production. They apparently put a lot of thought into those characters, even if they didn't say much.
Yea the good thing is unlike most prequels they won't be writing the backstory after the character has already been established. They wrote backstories for all the main characters for Fury Road during production as part of their world building for the movie.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
No, he's too busy filming Braveheart 2.
Is that the one where the camera will follow each individual body part to it's final destination in the UK?

Though technically it already got a sequel

Robert the Bruce was released in 2020, an unofficial Braveheart 2 that continues the story in an unexpected way. Actor Angus Macfadyen reprises his role as Robert from the critically acclaimed 1995 epic, Braveheart, in the earlier moments of Robert’s life before the final battle of Bannockburn. Where Braveheart follows the life of Gibson's William Wallace, Robert the Bruce follows the life of Macfadyen’s downtrodden Robert before his rise as king.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad