Macster's First Round Mock Draft v1.0

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
For now just first round, no comments, current standings, trades taken into account. Comments will be added once we get closer to the draft, but in making this list I have taken into account prospect skill sets, team prospects position depth / needs, and drafting trends.

1) Flyers - Alzner D

2) Kings - Turris C

3) Blue Jackets - Voracek RW

4) Blackhawks - van Riemsdyk

5) Coyotes - Kane RW

6) Capitals -Esposito C

7) Panthers - Ellerby D

8) Blues - Cherepanov RW

9) Bruins - Gagner RW

10) Avalanche - Blum D

11) Oilers - Couture F

12) Rangers - Sutter RW

13) Leafs - Gillies C

14) Hurricanes - Hamill C

15) Canadiens - Veilleux C

16) Oilers - Katic D

17) Blues - Negrin D

18) Flames - Plante D

19) Wild - O'Brien LW

20) Penguins - Mayorov LW

21) Ducks - Andersson C

22) Canadiens - Hickey D

23) Canucks - Aliu RW

24) Senators - Torquato C

25) Coyotes - Petrecki D

26) Oilers - Perron RW

27) Blues - Repik RW

28) Flyers - MacLean LW

29) Red Wings - Shattenkirk D

30) Capitals - Moller LW

As with any mock, some people might disagree with my picks. However I think they are pretty reasonable and the only real off the board pick IMO would be the Torquato pick.

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
someone allways disagrees. imo espo is to high, cherpanov is to low, gillies is to high, couture is to low. katic may not crack the first round, but no one knows for sure right now. i like the torquato pick. somehow i really like those kind of picks. surprise picks are kind of fun.

again someone allways disagress with something when you do a 30 player mock, but it wouldnt be any fun if we all had the same rankings and thoughts.

habs91

Jun 1, 2006
I dont know, but I'd be stupid not to. I have been very impressed with both Plante and Aliu, and I hope BG has too.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
I wouldn't mind Cherepanov in the Blues' organization at all... the Blues already have a solid prospect playing with Avangard Omsk (defenseman Nikita Nikitin) whom they are very high on, and whom they will probably try to get over here next year. So that might be an advantage in getting Cherepanov over here sooner rather than later as well..

I have my doubts that Cherepanov will last until the eighth pick of the draft, however.

I don't know much about Negrin, but I can't see the Blues taking him when Petrecki and James O'Brien are still on the table. Americans seem to always grade high when the Blues' organization is evaluating draft prospects.

The organization also has a need for centers, and Jarmo Kekalainen likes to go for Europeans who can fill a specific role, so I wouldn't rule out either Joakim Andersson or Mikael Backlund for the Blues at that spot, either.

Finally, I can't see taking Repik ahead of Moller at this point. Moller is performing very well on an expansion team, whereas Repik is kind of hiding in the background on a major junior powerhouse. Repik does have more history of perfoming in North America, being in his second year of major junior, but as neither is particularly big, and both equally skilled IMO, I can see the Blues going with the center Moller as opposed to the wing Repik.

P_B

:bb:

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
How far do you think he'll slip? He reminds me of Jesse Joensuu from last year, a big guy who's stock has slipped considerably.

I'll be honest. I've never seen him play. :biglaugh:

However, I havent heard things about me which would make me believe he'll be a first rounder, let alone a high first rounder, or even a mid first rounder.

I have a very strong feeling feeling the Leafs will draft Zach Hamill or Brandon Sutter, maybe Bill Sweatt.

I'd like Brandon Sutter above the other two though, with the second being Billy Sweatt. This kid can fly!

I've heard Gillies is an amazing skater, but lacks hockey sense and offense. Not what the Leafs should go after at all.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'll personally kick George McPhee in the shins if he picks Esposito over Cherepanov, Couture and Gagner.

Default101

like the pic with edmonton on Katic, they tend to take semi risky picks and i think he'd be a good fit in oiler country they could really use a speedy defensive responsible puck mover like him, they drafted coffey 20 years ago, take away some of the offensive talent and you got katic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->