Mac's Midget prospects

HockeyMind9

I'm not sure how well known this tournament is but it's in Calgary and one of the biggest Midget tournaments (similar to the Telus Cup).

The Finals were yesterday and here's some names that stuck out. It was between Notre Dame and Russian Severstal.

Anyone think these guys can become legitimate prospects or even NHLers? Or is it too early to tell.

Notre Dame
James Henry (Vancouver Giants own his rights)
Rylan Schwartz (really impressive with well rounded game, good hands too)
John Esposito (Angelo's brother, looks good but not as skilled as Angelo)
Mathieu LaRochelle (the winning goalie)
Brayden McNabb (big defenseman)
Kyle Bigos (another big defense)

Russian Severstal
Andrey Smirnov (skilled but dives a ton)
Maxim Trunev (great hands, knock is he likes to hold onto the puck too much)
Nikolai Kazakovtsev
Dimitry Potapkin
Alexey Trandin
Nikolay Kostichkin

Calgary Royals
Steven Stanford (goalie)

Anyone have thoughts on these guys? I think most guys draft years are still a few years away.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Dmitri Potapkin is eligible for the 2007 draft and is ranked 13th amongst Russians in the preliminary CSS rankings.

Nikolai Kostichkin is also eligible for the 2007 draft and is ranked 23rd amongst Russians.

Anyone know if any of the others 07 eligible?

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Dmitri Potapkin is eligible for the 2007 draft and is ranked 13th amongst Russians in the preliminary CSS rankings.

Nikolai Kostichkin is also eligible for the 2007 draft and is ranked 23rd amongst Russians.

Anyone know if any of the others 07 eligible?

All I know is two of the ND guys, James Henry, he's '09 eligible, while Esosito is a late-born '91, maing him eligible for the 2010 draft.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
you might be leaving one of the biggest prospects off that list...Brandon Gormley who is 14 years old playing for the Notre Dame AAA team has 8 points in 9 games in AAA. People are comparing him to Scott Niedermayer, already slated to go 1st overall in next years QMJHL draft.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
you might be leaving one of the biggest prospects off that list...Brandon Gormley who is 14 years old playing for the Notre Dame AAA team has 8 points in 9 games in AAA. People are comparing him to Scott Niedermayer, already slated to go 1st overall in next years QMJHL draft.

Gormley didn't play at the Mac's. ;)

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I've been following Sanford since Bantam. Technically sound keeper, does well with a small workload, keeps his pads tight on low shots and never lets a squeaker by. He reminds me a lot of Turco stylistically.

As for the NHL... the big thing with someone who's always played on very good teams is how well he faces sudden changes in momentum against his squad. Since I've never seen Sanford in a game in which his team isn't a notch above the competition, it's tough for me to evaluate whether or not he can. He also needs to challenge more, although he fills the net as it is.

Ultimately, he has the sound fundamentals to be a potential NHL draftee. Everything else is up to him.

Last edited:

HockeyMind9

I've been following Sanford since Bantam. Technically sound keeper, does well with a small workload, keeps his pads tight on low shots and never lets a squeaker by. He reminds me a lot of Turco stylistically.

I used to play with him in minor hockey. What does his future in hockey look like? I've heard he's about top 2 goalie in Alberta but is he good enough to get drafted in the NHL and be a starter for Prince Albert next year?

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Steven Stanford had a really good camp this year in P.A. P.A also has David Aime and Tyler Esau as young goalies too so one of them might have to be moved next year to make room.

HockeyMind9

Steven Stanford had a really good camp this year in P.A. P.A also has David Aime and Tyler Esau as young goalies too so one of them might have to be moved next year to make room.

At this point does it look like any of them have the upper hand? And will they be fighting for the back up spot only or is there a chance they can be the starter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->