MacLean wants Nylander to play with Matthews to bust slump

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Weird, it won't allow me to put the video with a direct link, it's on the Sportsnet landing page, scroll a bit down.

Sports News: World and National Sports Headlines, Score Updates, Highlights, Stats & Results - Sportsnet.ca

What say you?

I generally agree with Doug MacLean, I think he's one of the more logical analysts (as analysts go) and I do understand his argument, I can't subscribe to it though.

I don't care if Nylander doesn't score more than 5 goals in a season, the goal should be wins and the Stanley Cup. He made his bed, he has been WELL compensated for taking his position. I don't begrudge him, I don't question the reasons, but, I say, "you don't just get to play with Matthews, you earn it" He didn't do yourself any favours by sitting out.

In time, maybe he will earn the Right to be on his line, but right now, I say no. To ANY player on this team who might venture into this forum, play to win. Put the team first, put your name on the Cup and then we can have discussions about what Babcock should or shouldn't do. Even when I disagree with Babcock, I have to trust him, he's earned it. His faith in this defense for instance, which as a team has certainly improved; is one such example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafling

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
Diasagree. Nylander should not be treated like a prima donna. He has to earn the right to play with Matthews. The way to do that is to work, play a 200 ft game and put up points. Prove he is worth the new contract. He also needs to earn the respect of his teammates as well as Babs.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't care if Nylander doesn't score more than 5 goals in a season, the goal should be wins and the Stanley Cup. He made his bed, he has been WELL compensated for taking his position. I don't begrudge him, I don't question the reasons, but, I say, "you don't just get to play with Matthews, you earn it" He didn't do yourself any favours by sitting out.
You're arguing against yourself here, in my opinion. I totally agree that Nylander made his own bed. I don't see a reason to sympathize with him. However, if the goal is team success then you do whatever it takes to get the most out of everybody, even if that includes letting the contract negotiation be history and give Nylander a chance he hasn't earned yet this season.

I don't think that's the move myself. At least not that for that reason. What he needed was to catch up to a league that was a few months ahead of him. That's starting to happen. Putting him with Matthews would just make that process look quicker by artificially boosting his production with some easy points.

If last game was an indicator, he should be ready to be back as a prime contributor for us.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This has been the plan all along. Babs is waiting until Nylander's 100% to put him there permanently.

Reactions: FishManSam

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Weird, it won't allow me to put the video with a direct link, it's on the Sportsnet landing page, scroll a bit down.

Sports News: World and National Sports Headlines, Score Updates, Highlights, Stats & Results - Sportsnet.ca

What say you?

I generally agree with Doug MacLean, I think he's one of the more logical analysts (as analysts go) and I do understand his argument, I can't subscribe to it though.

In time, maybe he will earn the Right to be on his line, but right now, I say no. To ANY player on this team who might venture into this forum, play to win. Put the team first, put your name on the Cup and then we can have discussions about what Babcock should or shouldn't do. Even when I disagree with Babcock, I have to trust him, he's earned it. His faith in this defense for instance, which as a team has certainly improve; is one such example.
Babcock seems to like a heavy presence on every line. If Willy replaces Kappy, it is likely he puts Hyman back on that line. JT plays a heavy enough game to account for that line.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't think linemates or lack of opportunity explains why Nylander hasn't been playing up to his capabilities just yet. Missing camp and games takes time to get back up to speed. Imagine he'll be firing on all cylinders and alongside Matthews soon enough. In the event he's not - and that's what's best for the team - so be it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Didn't Nylander start on Matthews line last game... and was demoted down as the game went along?

That's probably the formula going forward... he gets "some" ice time with Matthews, until he seizes it for the balance of the season.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Diasagree. Nylander should not be treated like a prima donna. He has to earn the right to play with Matthews. The way to do that is to work, play a 200 ft game and put up points. Prove he is worth the new contract. He also needs to earn the respect of his teammates as well as Babs.
he is lucky he STILL A LEAF plus hell get about 17 mill before u can trade him
poor DUBAS if the leafs don't win a play off round

Reactions: thewave

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

What say you?

In time, maybe he will earn the Right to be on his line, but right now, I say no. To ANY player on this team who might venture into this forum, play to win. Put the team first, put your name on the Cup and then we can have discussions about what Babcock should or shouldn't do. Even when I disagree with Babcock, I have to trust him, he's earned it. His faith in this defense for instance, which as a team has certainly improved; is one such example.

If how much he makes comes into the discussion when arguing where he should play, then you aren’t fully influenced on winning a cup.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander still trying to get up to mid season form. His icetime currently reflects Babs still needs to work on that - as he becomes ready for an extra 2-3 min per game he’ll get moved up the lineup though.

Personally I’d hope they slide Kappy over to the left side and have a dominant first line. And drop Marleau back with Kadri

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I hate Marleau with Matthews so I'd love to see

Johnsson Tavares Marner
Kappy Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Brown

That would require loading up not one but two lines........something babcock keeps telling us won't work.
Lucky for us we have a smart coach and not one of those stupid ones who do load their lines.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That would require loading up not one but two lines........something babcock keeps telling us won't work.
Lucky for us we have a smart coach and not one of those stupid ones who do load their lines.

Marleau-Kadri-Hyman should get Babcock excited enough to forget about the other lines being loaded up. Only problem is that line would be on for 30+ mins a game.

Reactions: frizzer1

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I would like to see Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander tried for a longer period of time with Hyman out. Nylander wasnt the reason that line wasn't working against Detroit. Matty and Kap were a bit off that whole game.

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner(loving this line)
Hyman-Kadri-Brown (pain in the a** line)
Marleau-Goat-Moore/Lindholm

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I like it. It will drag down AM's scoring and make him cheaper to sign:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad