WC: Mackinnon: World Championships 2013

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Not talking the World Junior Championship here. I'm talking about the Senior Men's World Championship in the spring. And since Hockey Canada had the stones or the stupidity (your choice) to include a yet to be drafted 18 year old defensemen Ryan Murray last year, will they have the stones to bring a 17 year old Mackinnon to Sweden in May? Mackinnon is by far a better prospect than Murray. (for the life of me, I still don't get the hype about Murray.) I think Hockey Canada should do it...since Olympic seeding has already been decided, this tournament means nothing in the grand scheme of things; and Hockey Canada doesn't seem to be interested in sending a serious team to it anyway...but since the Olympics are only a year away, some players will be inclined to accept invitations to play rather than reject them.

If the lockout wipes out the season (unlikely) but if it does, Hall Crosby Mackinnon would be my 2nd line. It would do some serious shredding of defenses over there.

Last edited:

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
You would think that this tournament would be a logical pre tournament for canada to take a look at potential olympic line combinations, and a chance for players to compete for a roster spot. Ofc I dont know much about team canada but it would make zero sense to have macK on the '13 team, since he's not competing for a spot on the olympic team anyway. I also dont
understand what murray was doing on the team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You would think that this tournament would be a logical pre tournament for canada to take a look at potential olympic line combinations, and a chance for players to compete for a roster spot. Ofc I dont know much about team canada but it would make zero sense to have macK on the '13 team, since he's not competing for a spot on the olympic team anyway. I also dont
understand what murray was doing on the team.

logically, but in all likelihood there's going to be an NHL season, playoffs - meaning most of Canada's Olympic team will either be busy or decline invitations anyway (as usual) so there'll be no testing of line combinations anyway. I also did not agree that Murray should have been included last year, but the fact is, he was included, and if Canada is going that route, then taking Mackinnon makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than Murray. The new players (change-over from Vancouver) know who they are, Stamkos, Tavaras, Giroux... they already know they got spots, there's no audition for them vying to make the team. The World Championship is an afterthought on the Hockey Canada calender anyway. So, why not take Mackinnon. He'll be a rookie the Olympic year and who knows could very well be in the conversation.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
logically, but in all likelihood there's going to be an NHL season, playoffs - meaning most of Canada's Olympic team will either be busy or decline invitations anyway (as usual) so there'll be no testing of line combinations anyway. I also did not agree that Murray should have been included last year, but the fact is, he was included, and if Canada is going that route, then taking Mackinnon makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than Murray. The new players (change-over from Vancouver) know who they are, Stamkos, Tavaras, Giroux... they already know they got spots, there's no audition for them vying to make the team. The World Championship is an afterthought on the Hockey Canada calender anyway. So, why not take Mackinnon. He'll be a rookie the Olympic year and who knows could very well be in the conversation.

Even though it would make more sense to have MacKinnon than Murray, it doesn't mean it actually makes sense to have MacKinnon on the team :laugh: . Seriously though, there are so many grown up players in the NHL that are better than MacKinnon, that there's no point in having him there, nor will he be trying to convince the management to pick him for the olympics, thus I don't see a point having him there. However, like you said, if they picked Murray (for whatever reason) then with that logic they should pick MacKinnon. It won't make any sense though :laugh:

Also what I meant was that team Canada can have an "olympic hopefuls" team, where players have a chance to prove the management that they should be considered.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It could be a weird WC year, depending on when, or if at all, we actual get NHL hockey this season. Maybe we'll se 0% NHL'ers or maybe 100% NHL'ers at the worlds...

If the season is pushed forward we'll might very well see MacKinnon play for Canada.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It could be a weird WC year, depending on when or if at we actual get NHL hockey this season. Maybe we'll se 0% NHL'ers or maybe 100% NHL'ers at the worlds...

If the season is pushed forward we'll might very well see MacKinnon play for Canada.

You could very well be right.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It could be a weird WC year, depending on when, or if at all, we actual get NHL hockey this season. Maybe we'll se 0% NHL'ers or maybe 100% NHL'ers at the worlds...

Against 17-year old opposition in the Ivan Hlinka tournament, MacKinnon scored five goals in five games. Some accounts suggest that he was outshone by some of his teammates on Team Canada. Hard to imagine considering him for the World Championships as a 16-year old, when he produced only better than average statistics at an U18 tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Against 17-year old opposition in the Ivan Hlinka tournament, MacKinnon scored five goals in five games. Some accounts suggest that he was outshone by some of his teammates on Team Canada. Hard to imagine considering him for the World Championships as a 16-year old, when he produced only better than average statistics at an U18 tournament.

I'm open to the idea, but only if he has an especially dominate season in the Q. And is available, i.e. not busy in the Memorial Cup which is mid to late May. I know the WHC begins early May, but if he's not available early, then there's no point at all of flying him in if he does become available. I really don't care what his stats were in the Ivan Hlinka or that a couple of players on Team Canada played a couple of better games. He should not have been with the U18 team anyway. He should have been with the U20 team.

I think if he has a dominate season and is available early, then lets let it all hang out.

And another little added bonus for me, I love the idea of bringing a 17 year old, it's sort of like giving the IIHF the finger!

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
All depends on if the NHL season is completely wiped out. If it is I believe there will be a large influx of players who would jump at the opportunity to play in the WHC in 2013.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Too many unknown factors but I highly doubt it. Assuming the labor dispute is resolved, Hockey Canada won't receive as many declined invites as normal as players will want to audition for the upcoming Sochi Olympics and with Canada's depth and competition for limited spots, few players could realistically turn down an invite and not hurt their Olympic chances.

He's an amazing prospect but this is Canada we're talking about and I just can't see it happening.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Too many unknown factors but I highly doubt it. Assuming the labor dispute is resolved, Hockey Canada won't receive as many declined invites as normal as players will want to audition for the upcoming Sochi Olympics and with Canada's depth and competition for limited spots, few players could realistically turn down an invite and not hurt their Olympic chances.

He's an amazing prospect but this is Canada we're talking about and I just can't see it happening.

re: lockout and all NHLers jumping at a chance to play in the WHC? If you look at the roster of the 05 team, not a whole lot of names there you'd expect to see when all players were available. 1 year out from the 06 Torino games. So, I'm not sure that argument stands up. The team wasn't a bad team, but it wasn't exactly the O4 World Cup team either... So, interesting question for sure.

espo*

I'm with Bonney on this one, Canada's depth makes it highly unlikely.

It's not impossible however, I believe Kariya was in his freshman year at Maine when he played in it for the first time for Canada so that is fairly close to what age Mackinnon would be if he played.

The bigger question is do people really think he is ready for that level of play against seasoned MEN pros? Super prospect but let's face facts, he's still a kid.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
You guys are forgetting one thing...pretty solid chance his Halifax Mooseheads will still be playing by the time the WC rolls around. Clear contender to go deep in the Q playoffs, perhaps even go to the Memorial Cup.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Not talking the World Junior Championship here. I'm talking about the Senior Men's World Championship in the spring. And since Hockey Canada had the stones or the stupidity (your choice) to include a yet to be drafted 18 year old defensemen Ryan Murray last year, will they have the stones to bring a 17 year old Mackinnon to Sweden in May? Mackinnon is by far a better prospect than Murray. (for the life of me, I still don't get the hype about Murray.) I think Hockey Canada should do it...since Olympic seeding has already been decided, this tournament means nothing in the grand scheme of things; and Hockey Canada doesn't seem to be interested in sending a serious team to it anyway...but since the Olympics are only a year away, some players will be inclined to accept invitations to play rather than reject them.

If the lockout wipes out the season (unlikely) but if it does, Hall Crosby Mackinnon would be my 2nd line. It would do some serious shredding of defenses over there.

If Mackinnon is chosen, it will be to gain experience as the 12th-13th forward.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You guys are forgetting one thing...pretty solid chance his Halifax Mooseheads will still be playing by the time the WC rolls around. Clear contender to go deep in the Q playoffs, perhaps even go to the Memorial Cup.

I don't dispute that, but upsets can happen. Last year they surprised people with coming back from an 0-3 deficit to finish off the Ramparts, they could be in tune for a 2nd. year swoon so many young teams endure when having to face and fight through expectations of being the favorite. Not saying that it will happen, just that it does happen from time to time. We've all seen it happen. But they could go on to be a finalist in the Mem. Cup. And that will be great for young Mackinnon and his gang of young budding stars. I'm saying, if the circumstances are right, then let him play with the men this spring. If Murray can do it at a much more difficult position, then Mackinnon can do it.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I'm with Bonney on this one, Canada's depth makes it highly unlikely.

It's not impossible however, I believe Kariya was in his freshman year at Maine when he played in it for the first time for Canada so that is fairly close to what age Mackinnon would be if he played.

The bigger question is do people really think he is ready for that level of play against seasoned MEN pros? Super prospect but let's face facts, he's still a kid.

For Russian and other fans, the happiest scenario would be that Canada would find itself in a situation where they had to depend on a 16-year old to advance in the World Championships. In all seriousness though, I can't think of a single reason why it would benefit Canada or MacKinnon to put him in the WC's. To get him ready for the Olympics, which are only nine months after the WC's? Will Canada really be forced to depend on a 17- or 18-year old in Sochi? I hope so!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
For Russian and other fans, the happiest scenario would be that Canada would find itself in a situation where they had to depend on a 16-year old to advance in the World Championships. In all seriousness though, I can't think of a single reason why it would benefit Canada or MacKinnon to put him in the WC's. To get him ready for the Olympics, which are only nine months after the WC's? Will Canada really be forced to depend on a 17- or 18-year old in Sochi? I hope so!

Now I'm even more convinced than ever, if Mackinnon is available, then he should be included on the World Championship team.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Mackinnon has as much a chance as Georges Laraque to make the World Championship squad, none. Only a Crosby calibre player would even receive consideration as a junior. Especially being the last Worlds before the Olympics, with only realistically 4-5 spots available at the forward position, they're not going to give a 17 year old an opportunity to prove his worth when there's more accomplished and experienced players like a Jordan Staal, Eberle, Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Skinner, Benn, Spezza, Neal..etc... all who are vying for those final positions. That's not saying he's not a grade A prospect. He definitely is and I think he'll have a similar impact to what all the recent number one picks are having and will be a future lock on any national team in the very near future.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Mackinnon has as much a chance as Georges Laraque to make the World Championship squad, none. Only a Crosby calibre player would even receive consideration as a junior. Especially being the last Worlds before the Olympics, with only realistically 4-5 spots available at the forward position, they're not going to give a 17 year old an opportunity to prove his worth when there's more accomplished and experienced players like a Jordan Staal, Eberle, Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Skinner, Benn, Spezza, Neal..etc... all who are vying for those final positions.

Tavaras has already made the Olympic team. He doesn't have to audtion for squat. Spezza? Hockey Canada has no interest in Spezza. Spezza wanted to play in last spring's championship, HC told him politely no thanks, not interested. Eberle has already played in 2 WHC and is the 5th highest scoring RW in the league. Don't think he has to audition any further. Jordan Stall, Hall and Seguin, I get those, but you are assuming all these players will be available, there'll be a season after all. And I'm assuming too that Mackinnon will be available.... you are missing the point of the thread, it has nothing to do with a tryout for the Olympic team.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I frankly think that is a stretch for Mackinnon to be on the WC team. It likely will not happen, but people might forget that the seeding for 2014 Sochi is already decided. Thanks to Getzlaf and his highstick penalty that resulted in Canada losing to Slovakia, Canada is in the easiest pool for Sochi 2014. We are in a group with Finland, Norway and a yet to be named qualifier. Getzlaf is a patriot for thinking about its nation first and foremost in 2014, than a meaningless tournament played in Europe that nobody cares about here in North America, in the middle of the playoffs. Canada should win that pool easily, finish first overall and get an 8th place team in the Quarter finals, and get the 4-5 winner in the Semis. It will face its toughest test in the finals. Thanks to Getzlaf we have a much easier road. It is too early to talk about 2013 WHC.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I frankly think that is a stretch for Mackinnon to be on the WC team. It likely will not happen, but people might forget that the seeding for 2014 Sochi is already decided. Thanks to Getzlaf and his highstick penalty that resulted in Canada losing to Slovakia, Canada is in the easiest pool for Sochi 2014. We are in a group with Finland, Norway and a yet to be named qualifier. Getzlaf is a patriot for thinking about its nation first and foremost in 2014, than a meaningless tournament played in Europe that nobody cares about here in North America, in the middle of the playoffs. Canada should win that pool easily, finish first overall and get an 8th place team in the Quarter finals, and get the 4-5 winner in the Semis. It will face its toughest test in the finals. Thanks to Getzlaf we have a much easier road. It is too early to talk about 2013 WHC.

It may be a bit of a stretch, but not as big of a stretch as Murray being on the team last year... that was just brutal, he had no business being there....

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Player performance at the 2013 WC will have little or no bearing on who Hockey Canada selects for the next Olympics. The roster choices will be primarily based on how players are doing in the NHL leading up to the selection deadline. I can't see North Americans taking the next WC any more seriously than any other WC.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Player performance at the 2013 WC will have little or no bearing on who Hockey Canada selects for the next Olympics. The roster choices will be primarily based on how players are doing in the NHL leading up to the selection deadline. I can't see North Americans taking the next WC any more seriously than any other WC.

I see what your saying but a solid performance at the Worlds does help in terms of gaining recognition of how your game translates to the international arena. Doughty's performance in 09' Worlds basically showed the selection committee that this kid is something unique and he just rode that confidence into the next season.

I really hope a player like PK. Subban can have an opportunity to play at this tournament, he's not on the same level of Doughty but his puck rushing skills and o-zone capabilities can really break down opposition teams. He's improved in his own zone as well and i'm sure just one look playing against this level can truly boost his stock.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I see what your saying but a solid performance at the Worlds does help in terms of gaining recognition of how your game translates to the international arena. Doughty's performance in 09' Worlds basically showed the selection committee that this kid is something unique and he just rode that confidence into the next season.

I really hope a player like PK. Subban can have an opportunity to play at this tournament, he's not on the same level of Doughty but his puck rushing skills and o-zone capabilities can really break down opposition teams. He's improved in his own zone as well and i'm sure just one look playing against this level can truly boost his stock.

I don't see why not, but he would have to be hands down the MVP and best player at the tournament (unlikely) to even be in the conversation for 2014... as of now P.K. has a few bodies to crawl over before he even gets to be considered for the 7th D-man position. He was selected to play on last year's WC team, but suffered a bruise in practice and bailed big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00