Mackinnon vs Eichel

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
There is an "argument" of sorts going on over on the Playoffs forum in the wake of the Avs ousting the Flames about whether Eichel is on the same level as Mack. I figured we shall put the question to the people. How do Mack and Eichel compare?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Mackinnon > Eichel

Eichel is a few younger than Mackinnon and can get to or eclipse Mackinnon's level one day, but right now give me Mackinnon 10/10

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'd say MacKinnon is better. He plays with better linemates but also puts up better numbers. He also gets more playing time, but the difference there isn't enough to make me vote against him. Both are impressive to watch for me, but MacKinnon impresses me more visually.

He is a beast in the playoffs - maybe Eichel can be as well, but you can't know before he's played in the playoffs.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Oh great timing for this, I’m sure it won’t be a landslide. I do wish Eichel had the chance to get to the main stage so people could see him more, not many have as it stands and everyone knows hockey is a team game and if your forward is your best player then he’s not playing 2/3 of every game so that’s not on him to miss the playoff ms the same way like it’s not on mcdavid.

By the way this was never an argument from me about who was better. When brought up all I said was when you go from point per game numevrs in similar year comparisons Eichel was doing a lot better then Mackinnon in the same way Matthews and Pettersen are doing/did better then Eichel.

However Mackinnon right now is ahead and I never denied that anywhere.

All I said was their skill sets are highly comparable, eichel getting second and third fastest skater in the all star game in the last two years. Both have amazing hands but Mack is a better sniper, Eichel gets a ton of chances and progresses each year whether it be corsi, plus minus, and especially back checking and leadership this year. Every source talked about how he had matured in a major way this year but his teams lack depth, they lack goaltending and they’ve never had structure or a good coach so it’s been pretty tough circumstances.

Before going down in December he was sixth I. The nhl in points, he was fourth In offensive zone possession, top five in shots and scoring chances, as well as transition rushes while being second in the entire eastern conference in scoring in early December before going down to a minor injury. (Only being kucherov)

Also at that point he had 17 multi point games only behind Rantanen and Mackinnon who as you know usually play together and did at the time.

Eichel has put up close to a PPG career wise but in his last 203 games he has put up 201 pts on some of the lowest scoring teams in the league. This is despite the fact he’s up against the best competition every shift and returned from two sprained ankles as well.

I believe he’s the only one in the top twenty five in scoring this year who’s never had a linemate to get over 65 pts. If people don’t find that inorsssice I don’t k is what to tell you. I am saying all this because I think it’s ignorant for people to not realize that having linemates who regularly get on the board, that helps you out big time at the end of the day when looking at total points.

Mackinnon had a better rookie year by six points but Eichel from years two to four has been on pace to get 80 pts or over and pace DOES matter when you’ve played 3/4 of the seasons. He proved he could do just that when given the chance to play 77 this year, with 82 points. So many chances were fanned on by certain linemates, I can think of countless crossbars, Empty side net tap ins sheary fanned on. (Felt like a dozen and someone like Rantanen would of surely buried making up the 15 pt gap there was this year.) so in saying all that I don’t think it’s outrageous to suggest Eichel could be better one day.I mean I’m sure if that did happen and Rantanen was with him he could get 100 pts, I mean, Mackinnon for a few seasons was in the fifty point range and the second Rantanen came his production doubled. Rantanens never had less then 80 pts I do believe. But it’d be ignorant to suggest it’s all Rantanen, they help each other. It’s a good situation for both of them and seeing Rantanen producing on the second line with Colin wilson in an excellent play is also telling. Mack’s took his game to another level though there’s no denying that.

But the bottom line is Mackinnon has set himself above right now To be a top 2-5 center in the game today. Eichel is no doubt In my mind top ten and it remains to be seen if he can climb up with it past one day. All I know is you’re environment matters, puck moving dmen matter, and as far as making the show a team matters (see Connor) both are players you would pay money to see. But as the poll will ultimately show everyone is going to say Mackinnon. I’d hope they’d know it’s surely not a landslide though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Salt

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
You felt the need to make a poll, of which you know what the outcome will be, because of one person?

Lame.

And I never once in that thread said Eichel was ahead. It’s just for validation.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Voted option 2.. Eichel is younger and let’s say that he doesn’t have a ton of help. I would like to see what he would do with a winger like Rantanen but Mack is playing his best hockey right now he is dangerous in almost every shift. His consistent playoffs performances will be hard for Eichel to dethrone though. Can see any argument going for Eichel right now beside the « Ifs ».

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I take Mackinnon but I really don't think the gap between them is as huge as people make it out to be. Took option 2

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
MackInnon carried his team to the playoffs his rookie year, then again last year after they traded one of their best players and were written off. This year he had another fine year and as good as Rantanen is, he really fell off in the second half (&I say that as someone who had him on their fantasy team)

DrRad

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure why you needed to make this poll. MacKinnon is obviously better than Eichel right now. Does Eichel have the potential to be better? Sure. But right now MacK is clearly better

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Depending on form, I think you could say MacKinnon is slightly better, Eichel is slightly better or its a tie. MacKinnon is having a great playoffs and Eichel's team isn't in the playoffs, so I'll say MacKinnon is slightly better right now.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I guess I misread or forgot to read all the thread. My apologies there.

No problem I probably didn’t explain it well enough. Cheers.

MackInnon carried his team to the playoffs his rookie year, then again last year after they traded one of their best players and were written off. This year he had another fine year and as good as Rantanen is, he really fell off in the second half (&I say that as someone who had him on their fantasy team)

No he didn’t, they had solid goaltending that year and were motivated lead by the Jack Adams winning coach, The chemistry was on point that year. Mackinnon was the driving force sure but they also had stastny, landeskog, Ryan o Reilly, and a couple other great players. He had 62 points, that doesent carry you to the playoffs and he was on the ice for one third of every game. This is hockey not basketball. Star forward don’t take you on there own.

I’ve gone on about how unreal Mack is so if someone sees this post and thinks I’m bashing Mac, I’m not I’m just pointing out he didn’t carry them to the playoffs that year. The same way Matthews didn’t Carry his team by himself either, I hear that Babcock, Nylander OH and those two guys regularly called leaf MVPs in Freddy Andersen and Mitchell Marner kind of helped Toronto get there too. But Matthews 69 pts stood out due to the four goals in first game or scoring 40 as a rookie, him being the top overall pick, etc etc it takes a team to make it. Ask mcdavid.

Matthews and Mackinnon were the driving forces of making the playoffs in 14 (avs) and 17 (leafs) but they didn’t get there on their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spilot23

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Not sure why you needed to make this poll. MacKinnon is obviously better than Eichel right now. Does Eichel have the potential to be better? Sure. But right now MacK is clearly better

Sorry Eichel will never be the player that MacKinnon is.

Reactions: Voight

DrRad

Sep 30, 2017
Sorry Eichel will never be the player that MacKinnon is.

I never said he would.

But since you obviously know the future, I'm sure you predicted MacKinnon to go from 50 point seasons to 90 point seasons.

And just throwing it out there, Eichel's ppg and points have increased every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad