Mackinnon or Matthews

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
So ignorant. I will be the first to say MacK is better right now tho.

Is it not fair to compare them at the same ages? Matthews first four seasons absolutely blows MacK's out of the water. MacK is clearly the better player right now, but Matthews is younger and his body of work at the same ages is much better. Will he be the player MacK is now? Not sure.

Matthews is injury prone? Well I guess MacK is too because hes missed pretty much the same amount of games. MacK has played 82 games in 3 of 6 seasons prior to this one. Even missing time for shoulder injuries.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And Matthews is awful defensively? You are so misinformed its hilarious, bias is clearly showing. Is this based on a 10 second shift you watched 1 game? Currently Matthews is third in the ENTIRE LEAGUE in takeaways.. even ahead of a defensive player such as ROR.. Matthews has 63 takeaways and 33 giveaways , MacK has 29 takeaways and 44 giveaways.. Yet Mac is clearly the better defensive player right?

On to the contact. Title from NHL.com:
Nathan MacKinnon signs 7-year contract with Avalanche

Forward had 21 goals, 31 assists for Colorado last season

Mack signed his deal coming one of the worst years of his career. 52 points in 72 games, and then followed it up with 53 in 82 games.. So much production. Matthews signed his after 73 points in 68 games while scoring 37 goals (on pace for around 45). Not to mention Matthews had been over 1 PPG (and still is) career wise, and has never scored lower than 34 goals in a season. Mac's career high before signing that deal was 24 goals.. Goals are paid at a premium in this league. If you dont understand the difference in contract scenarios... then lol.

SO much wrong with your post its hilarious.

Thanks for coming out.
Thanks for doing exactly what I said you leafs fans love to do, and thanks for getting triggered so hard. I especially loved the big font xD I'm not going to respond to all of your points, mostly because they're just the same old bringing up MacKinnon's seasons from 5 years ago shenanigans that I discussed in my previous post. MacKinnon has missed 8 games in the last 3 seasons. That's almost 30 less than Matthews. I even said he could start removing that label with this full season.

If you don't understand the difference in contract scenarios in the context of this thread, then LOL because we both lose our guys after 4/5 years respectively and they're to UFA. And MacKinnon costs half as much. It's just reality. Sorry AM bent your GM over, and sorry the Avs got lucky with their timing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Mackinnon for now but there's a solid chance Matthews over-takes him in the near-future.

I don't think Matthews is a finished product yet and believe he still has another level to reach in terms of commitment to all-round play.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He plays primarily with playmakers, so his assist totals will always be lower than if he had another goal scorer on his line.
If he didn't play with playmakers, and had another scorer on his line, you don't think his goal totals would go down?

Only difference is Matthews is younger and has blown out every year of Mack's career so far, except this one where is going to roughly tie in points while having more goals.
Mack is on a 116 point pace while Matthews is on a 98 point pace. Thats about as close as Matthews is to Kyle Connor or JT Miller. (rOuGhlY)

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hey, it's almost like injuries are random and aren't tied to individual players.
Some people are more easily injured than others. Some players will play through injuries that another player would choose to rehab instead and miss games.

We're just looking at a pattern of injuries in his career so far, and it could very well change. Stop taking the label so personally.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
He's only missed 8 games in his last 4 seasons versus 34 for AM34. MacK hasn't missed significant time since his second season. Both are stellar players who are really fun to watch.
in their first four seasons, Matthews has missed 34 games, Mack missed 28. Very similar.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for doing exactly what I said you leafs fans love to do, and thanks for getting triggered so hard. I especially loved the big font xD I'm not going to respond to all of your points, mostly because they're just the same old bringing up MacKinnon's seasons from 5 years ago shenanigans that I discussed in my previous post. MacKinnon has missed 8 games in the last 3 seasons. That's almost 30 less than Matthews. I even said he could start removing that label with this full season.

If you don't understand the difference in contract scenarios in the context of this thread, then LOL because we both lose our guys after 4/5 years respectively and they're to UFA. And MacKinnon costs half as much. It's just reality. Sorry AM bent your GM over, and sorry the Avs got lucky with their timing.
hilarious. Did i not say in the first line that Mack is better right now than matthews?

Matthews missed 34 games in his first four seasons, Mack missed 28.. is that not similar?

You did not address any of the FACTS I provided and simply decided to answer with ignorance and bias. thanks for proving my point. What a joke.

I understand you clearly have a problem with comprehension and i noticed your location is "Denver", but i did address that Mack is the better player right now. I addressed your clearly terrible biased takes on Matthews.. with statistical evidence..

You have not done so whatsoever.

Again..

thanks for coming out.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
hilarious. Did i not say in the first line that Mack is better right now than matthews?

Matthews missed 34 games in his first four seasons, Mack missed 28.. is that not similar?

You did not address any of the FACTS I provided and simply decided to answer with ignorance and bias. thanks for proving my point. What a joke.

Again..

thanks for coming out.
Looking forward to Matthews nearly doubling his career high in points next season, since their careers are taking the exact same trajectory.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Very similar. MacKinnon has proven he can play a full season, several times over, since then.

I just love how incensed you are about my post. I say Matthews has injury concerns and isn't good defensively. I still stand by that even with the takeaways. He plays so nonchalantly sometimes, no intensity for full length games. Like he's detached from the game sometimes. Even leafs fans see it, I know. When he is engaged, I think he's an above average defender.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
People don't watch Matthews and it's clear. The narrative that he is a shot and nothing else is laughable to the point it proves people do not watch him.

His game overall has grown so much this year. Defensively he has been a beast. He won't win a Selke because he doesn't PK but he is 2nd in take aways and all underlying defensive stats are amazing.

He plays primarily with playmakers, so his assist totals will always be lower than if he had another goal scorer on his line. And people like to use the team mates argument against him but ignore Colorado has Rantanen (who was better than Marner on here last summer), and their team is right up there with goals for. They play the same run and gun style as the Leafs.

Only difference is Matthews is younger and has blown out every year of Mack's career so far, except this one where is going to roughly tie in points while having more goals.

The answer is Mack only due to his steal of a contract, but as raw players, anyone saying it's not close is out to lunch.
Matthews has been much better defensively this season but his defensive stats are far from amazing unless you consider slightly above average as amazing.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Shocking take but what if neither players get any better? Growth is not linear. Matthews may be done growing already.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Shocking take but what if neither players get any better? Growth is not linear. Matthews may be done growing already.
Yes, I'm sure he will be the only player in the history of the game to not improve after 22, if you wish hard enough.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Mackinnon, but I am not surprised the usual suspects can barely hold back their "AINECs". Any opportunity to put down Matthews is like Christmas morning for some here.

In particular, I can't fathom why so many Oiler fans are obsessed with Matthews threads.

If someone said that to belittle Mackinnon 3 years ago, I would have thought it was just as dumb as you saying it here.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I like how Matthews at 22 is so young and has time/room to improve but apparently MacK at age 24 doesn't lol. Right now it's MacK, going forward who knows. Both guys are getting better each year so it's hard to say.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
People don't watch Matthews and it's clear. The narrative that he is a shot and nothing else is laughable to the point it proves people do not watch him.

His game overall has grown so much this year. Defensively he has been a beast. He won't win a Selke because he doesn't PK but he is 2nd in take aways and all underlying defensive stats are amazing.

He plays primarily with playmakers, so his assist totals will always be lower than if he had another goal scorer on his line. And people like to use the team mates argument against him but ignore Colorado has Rantanen (who was better than Marner on here last summer), and their team is right up there with goals for. They play the same run and gun style as the Leafs.

The answer is Mack only due to his steal of a contract, but as raw players, anyone saying it's not close is out to lunch.
People also loved using linemates as an excuse why Mack produces so much. When both Rants and Landy got injured he was playing with Donskoi, Burakovsky, Calvert and Nieto those players were seen as 3rd/4th liners before the season started. I remember some people laughing at Avs fans thinking Donk, Bura et Nuke would fix our 2nd line issue. Of course 16 games is a small sample though but to me he proved that he can play without Rantanen and Landeskog some Avs fans including myself even think he was better playing with those 3rd liners.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Those saying Matthews might surpass MacKinnon, do you think he'll reach McDavid level? Because that's the only way he'll surpass MacKinnon.

Matthews simply doesn't have the tools to get to MacKinnon's level, his skating isn't good enough.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If he didn't play with playmakers, and had another scorer on his line, you don't think his goal totals would go down?

Mack is on a 116 point pace while Matthews is on a 98 point pace. Thats about as close as Matthews is to Kyle Connor or JT Miller. (rOuGhlY)

I mean, I was pretty clearly talking about Mack's breakout season, which aligns with Matthews season this year age / draft development wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->