Mackinnon or Matthews

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
A couple of years ago I would have agreed. In fact, when Matthews entered the league, I would have projected him to be a slam-dunk choice over MacKinnon but things have changed to be honest.

MacKinnon has rounded out to be one of the elite point getters in the NHL and is scary game to game, if not shift to shift. Matthews is more inconsistent--he occasionally floats during some shifts and can spend a chunk of the game looking sluggish and invisible. Granted, he can then break a game open with his laser shot, but MacKinnon is more consistent and reliable for my liking.

Also, I think personality has something to do with my decision. I know it's silly to even go here, but I am--the young Leafs players (Matthews included) are starting to really annoy me. Between their contract demands, underachieving, and the way they present themselves, I think their heads have gotten a little too big for their own good. It's like Matthews is just trying way to hard to be "different" or "standout" with that cheesy mustache, pants that are 4 sizes too small for him, and the sudden interest in tattoos. Meanwhile, MacKinnon just shows up every night, does his job, doesn't try to make any flashy fashion statements, and has been his team's best player rather consistently.

Unfortunately, I see the young Leafs starting to dabble in the "PK Subban" school of brand building. They have this attitude about them that they're bigger than the game. Just my opinion. Even McDavid just quietly goes about his business looking like an every day Joe--not trying too hard to get attention.

If we're picking who we're going into the playoffs with this year, I'm probably taking MacKinnon but if we're talking about what someone has rounded into and criticizing the other player for inconsistency I don't think that's quite fair since you're comparing a 7 year player to a 4 year player. All you have to do is look at Mac's first 4 seasons compared to Matthews' to see my point (and as people like to throw around here so much...AINEC).

Reactions: Pyrophorus

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Awful poll. Colorado fan feeling insecure?

Most people consider Mac to be the 2nd best player in the world so I guess I pick him.....

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
A lot of people letting flashiness/speed and PP time affect their perception.

Since 2017-2018:

ES P/60

Matthews: 2.92
Mackinnon: 2.99

ES P1/60

Matthews: 2.45
Mackinnon: 2.38

PP P/60

Matthews: 6.63
Mackinnon: 6.91

PP P1/60

Matthews: 5.03
Mackinnon: 4.95

Extremely close, and Mackinnon has had a very impressive year this year. Mackinnon has a slight edge in point production, and Matthews has a slight edge in primary point production, but both are fairly even. Considering Matthews' worse linemates over that sample, their ages that that sample covers, the fact that Matthews was inexplicably 2nd unit PP for 1 of those years, and Matthews' superior goal-scoring ability, I would definitely take Matthews going forward, though I can see the argument for Mackinnon if just for this year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Even as Leafs fan I hope there is never a time when MacKinnon falls to Matthews’ level and continues to be one of the top 3 players in the NHL.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Other posters are saying "right now".

Ya right now, in today's NHL, MacKinnon is better than Matthews and has been for the past 200+ games. Just because Matthews puts up a handful more points within an arbitrary amount of games doesn't make him the better player "right now".

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Would LOVE to have either or, but if I have to choose, it is MacKinnon any day of the week

Even on Mondays???

In his career - Mackinnon has a 0.7 ppg on monday games, compared to 1.03 for Matthews. He also has a .33 GPG on mondays, compared to 0.55 for Matthews.

In general, Mack > Matthews.

But on Mondays - it's Matthews hands down...

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Even on Mondays???

In his career - Mackinnon has a 0.7 ppg on monday games, compared to 1.03 for Matthews. He also has a .33 GPG on mondays, compared to 0.55 for Matthews.

In general, Mack > Matthews.

But on Mondays - it's Matthews hands down...
I'm really interested seeing their stats when they're playing on February 29th :sarcasm:

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->