Mackinnon or Matthews

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It's closer than most people are making it, but I'd take MacKinnon.

A couple of years ago I would have agreed. In fact, when Matthews entered the league, I would have projected him to be a slam-dunk choice over MacKinnon but things have changed to be honest.

MacKinnon has rounded out to be one of the elite point getters in the NHL and is scary game to game, if not shift to shift. Matthews is more inconsistent--he occasionally floats during some shifts and can spend a chunk of the game looking sluggish and invisible. Granted, he can then break a game open with his laser shot, but MacKinnon is more consistent and reliable for my liking.

Also, I think personality has something to do with my decision. I know it's silly to even go here, but I am--the young Leafs players (Matthews included) are starting to really annoy me. Between their contract demands, underachieving, and the way they present themselves, I think their heads have gotten a little too big for their own good. It's like Matthews is just trying way to hard to be "different" or "standout" with that cheesy mustache, pants that are 4 sizes too small for him, and the sudden interest in tattoos. Meanwhile, MacKinnon just shows up every night, does his job, doesn't try to make any flashy fashion statements, and has been his team's best player rather consistently.

Unfortunately, I see the young Leafs starting to dabble in the "PK Subban" school of brand building. They have this attitude about them that they're bigger than the game. Just my opinion. Even McDavid just quietly goes about his business looking like an every day Joe--not trying too hard to get attention.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'd very easily take MacKinnon. If we're factoring in contracts, then it makes the gap even that much larger.

lol Mathews clearly plays on Toronto’s top line. I still take Mack though
In the 17-18 playoffs, Boston's shutdown line totally neutralized Matthews. In the 18-19 playoffs, their shutdown line was on Tavares and Marner... Matthews was getting the favorable matchups. I have no idea what it's like this year, and the Leafs situation is unique because they basically have 2 first lines, but there's reasons why people think he may not be facing top defensive unit... It also likely changes between home and away games for control of matchups.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
So when Matthews is 24 will you compare him to Mac at 24 or Mac in 2 years?
I'll give Matthews a couple of more seasons before I make a choice. In his first 3 seasons and current 4th season, Matthews has been a better point producer and scorer than Mac while it took Nathan until his 5th season to really explode and become what he is today. Lets see where Matthews will be when he's 24 and had a couple more seasons under his belt.

If forced to choose right now, I'd probably take the more mature and experienced Mac, but if you asked this question back in 2016 when Matthews exploded into the NHL in his first season with 40 goals and 69 pts while Mac put up 16 goals and 53 pts, I'd bet many people would be choosing differently.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
its mak but at the same age probably matthews. idk if he will get as good because their games are a bit different but who knows. matthews has had better early seasons but mack is basically mcdavid but stockier and learnt how to play

member 300185

I'd very easily take MacKinnon. If we're factoring in contracts, then it makes the gap even that much larger.

In the 17-18 playoffs, Boston's shutdown line totally neutralized Matthews. In the 18-19 playoffs, their shutdown line was on Tavares and Marner... Matthews was getting the favorable matchups. I have no idea what it's like this year, and the Leafs situation is unique because they basically have 2 first lines, but there's reasons why people think he may not be facing top defensive unit... It also likely changes between home and away games for control of matchups.
Sounds like a spin to tell you the truth. There is no talking your way out of this. Matthews IS the first line centre. And, he has started every game as such for 2 years.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This is like saying which child do you love best. f*** that noise.

I love Matthews, think he is honestly maybe the most dynamic scorer since Ovechkin.

But MacKinnon is probably the right answer.

Kind of a Crosby or Ovechkin situation.

Also, people forget, Nathan had some lacklustre years. And Auston is a lot younger. So it's not a total gimmee.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'll give Matthews a couple of more seasons before I make a choice. In his first 3 seasons and current 4th season, Matthews has been a better point producer and scorer than Mac while it took Nathan until his 5th season to really explode and become what he is today. Lets see where Matthews will be when he's 24 and had a couple more seasons under his belt.

If forced to choose right now, I'd probably take the more mature and experienced Mac, but if you asked this question back in 2016 when Matthews exploded into the NHL in his first season with 40 goals and 69 pts while Mac put up 16 goals and 53 pts, I'd bet many people would be choosing differently.

Great post and I agree.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
To be fair, I think that kind of blazing speed can lead us to overrate players. The things that Matthews does better than MacKinnon aren't as visually pleasing, but that doesn't mean they actually lead to inferior results.

This is very true. While people were saying Marner was way above Matthews I've held that Auston is the for sure Superstar on this team since day 1 (not saying that Mitch isn't great in his own right).

Matthews doesn't always look super flashy but there's a reason he is the scoring phenom and in the overall points race where he is. The kid has an unreal shot, incredible hockey sense regarding positioning and anticipating play, and will, over time, prove himself as one of the all-time greats. Mark my words.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
A couple of years ago I would have agreed. In fact, when Matthews entered the league, I would have projected him to be a slam-dunk choice over MacKinnon but things have changed to be honest.

MacKinnon has rounded out to be one of the elite point getters in the NHL and is scary game to game, if not shift to shift. Matthews is more inconsistent--he occasionally floats during some shifts and can spend a chunk of the game looking sluggish and invisible. Granted, he can then break a game open with his laser shot, but MacKinnon is more consistent and reliable for my liking.

Also, I think personality has something to do with my decision. I know it's silly to even go here, but I am--the young Leafs players (Matthews included) are starting to really annoy me. Between their contract demands, underachieving, and the way they present themselves, I think their heads have gotten a little too big for their own good. It's like Matthews is just trying way to hard to be "different" or "standout" with that cheesy mustache, pants that are 4 sizes too small for him, and the sudden interest in tattoos. Meanwhile, MacKinnon just shows up every night, does his job, doesn't try to make any flashy fashion statements, and has been his team's best player rather consistently.

Unfortunately, I see the young Leafs starting to dabble in the "PK Subban" school of brand building. They have this attitude about them that they're bigger than the game. Just my opinion. Even McDavid just quietly goes about his business looking like an every day Joe--not trying too hard to get attention.

MacKinnon, for as long as he has been in the league, has actually proved himself rather inconsistent and lacking deep playoff success. I don't think this conversation is a gimmee at all. Though I vote Nathan by a slight edge, I think it is way closer than people think.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Matthews is a slightly better shooter. I can’t think of anything else he comes close to MacKinnon in who is an absolute beast in every way.

Just goes to show how different development paths for different players are. MacKinnon looked like a below average first overall pick until he absolutely exploded at 22. Most 1st overalls who become top players in the league seem to get to that level a bit quicker.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
MacKinnon for now. Matthews may yet turn out to be the better player, but as of today MacK is the more complete player.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
MacKinnon, for as long as he has been in the league, has actually proved himself rather inconsistent and lacking deep playoff success. I don't think this conversation is a gimmee at all. Though I vote Nathan by a slight edge, I think it is way closer than people think.
His team has made the playoffs three times. His worst performance out of these three playoff runs still had him at 3 goals and 6 points in 6 games. How is this inconsistent? He's a playoff monster.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Mack is probably 80% of Matthews goal scoring while being about 80% better on assists. Matthews is having a phenomenal year, and MacKinnon is still pacing for an extra 20 points.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
MacKinnon is a tremendous big game player who elevates his game in the playoffs. Not his fault that the Avs used to have bad teams with garbage Dcores.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad