Mackinnon or Matthews

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I'd pick NM based on today, but it gets interesting with Matthews based on their numbers in their first four seasons (which Matthews is in now.)

His first four seasons MacK topped out at 63 points and only had 53 in 16-17 (his fourth season.) Matthews lowest point totals in his first 4 seasons, including this one, is 63, and he currenty has 68 in 57 games (his fourth season.)

MacK blew up after that and has been a near 100-point player since 97, 99, and currently has 76 in 54.)

I think it's likely Matthews makes his way into 90 points in his 5th and 6th seasons (good chance at doing it this season,) however MacK has already done it, so I take proof over potential.

Its also interesting, due to their birthdays, even though NM is "3 seasons older" than AM, he's only 2 years older by actual age. So depending on how you value pre-NHL experience, you could compare AM's season this year to NM's 17-18 season (5th seasons.)

As a sidenote, I still chuckle at a handful of posters who were calling MacK a bust a few years ago. Props to Avs fans for staying faithful.

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
It is Mac he dominates the play and will drive it himself. Put them together and Matthews scores 60. Mac is my number 2 in the league.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I'll give Matthews a couple of more seasons before I make a choice. In his first 3 seasons and current 4th season, Matthews has been a better point producer and scorer than Mac while it took Nathan until his 5th season to really explode and become what he is today. Lets see where Matthews will be when he's 24 and had a couple more seasons under his belt.

If forced to choose right now, I'd probably take the more mature and experienced Mac, but if you asked this question back in 2016 when Matthews exploded into the NHL in his first season with 40 goals and 69 pts while Mac put up 16 goals and 53 pts, I'd bet many people would be choosing differently.

Reactions: Tofveve

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Two very, very good players. I feel that MacKinnon is just a bit better, and their statistics seem to support that.
My thoughts exactly.

Could you post this years only?

Still mack but it's closer then before.
Both players are very talented offensive players that seems to have improved defensively this season
upload_2020-2-11_21-42-50.png

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
While Matthews has been better at every comparative age, Mackinnon is the better player right now but it's getting closer. Taking contracts into account, this is Mackinnon.

Reactions: Tofveve

member 300185

Matthews is incredibly talented, but he plays on the second line for the Leafs.

MacKinnon faces tougher competition night in and night out, produces more and has done it for longer.
Hahahaha, that's a good one. Matthews has been the first line centre for the last 2 and a half years. Good try though....er....no it wasn't, not a good try at all.

member 300185

As a Leaf fan, I take Mackinnon every time. He is just flat out better. He has blazing speed with Matthews does not have. He is better all over the ice. And, he was raised just down the road from me.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As a Leaf fan, I take Mackinnon every time. He is just flat out better. He has blazing speed with Matthews does not have. He is better all over the ice. And, he was raised just down the road from me.

To be fair, I think that kind of blazing speed can lead us to overrate players. The things that Matthews does better than MacKinnon aren't as visually pleasing, but that doesn't mean they actually lead to inferior results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad