Mackinnon or Matthews

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
That has what to do with Matthews since I showed MacKinnon has not been healthy every year like that person said.
What does the fact that Matthews has only played a full season in 1/3 seasons have to do with Matthews after you say Mac has only played 82 in 3/6 in a Mac vs Matthews thread?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What does the fact that Matthews has only played a full season in 1/3 seasons have to do with Matthews after you say Mac has only played 82 in 3/6 in a Mac vs Matthews thread?
It was still wrong to say that MacKinnon doesn't get hurt every year since he's only played 82 games a total of three times.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It was still wrong to say that MacKinnon doesn't get hurt every year since that was obviously wrong.

it is wrong to say that either one of them never gets injured. However Mac does have a much higher average games played per season.

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
If you had a to start a club with only one player , do you build with Mack or McD ?

I love watching MacK play and he can seemingly take over a shift and a game at the drop of a hat, but McDavid does it more consistently and at a year younger. I take McDavid, who I think is going to go down as an all time great barring bad injuries (knock on wood).

Personally have MacK as #2 in the league (by a decent margin as well), but still a no brainer, at least to me, to take McDavid.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I love watching MacK play and he can seemingly take over a shift and a game at the drop of a hat, but McDavid does it more consistently and at a year younger. I take McDavid, who I think is going to go down as an all time great barring bad injuries (knock on wood).

Personally have MacK as #2 in the league (by a decent margin as well), but still a no brainer, at least to me, to take McDavid.

Well there's no wrong answer , but i would pick Mack , idk i think he has more drive and competitiveness. But either way we are pretty much talking #1 and #2

Reactions: Caboose

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Right Now: MacKinnon
1-3 Years: I have no idea how to answer that question

I mean look at MacKinnon's 1st 3 seasons. 63, 38, 52 and 53. just when I thought he was basically a 50-60+point Center, BOOM 97, 99 and so far 80 with like basically 25games left. guys a BEAST
Matthews has done 69, 63, 73, and so far 69 and looks to be healthy finally * knock on wood *
who knows how this will look by the end of next year if Matthews takes off like MacKinnon did in his 5th season.

right now 100% MacKinnon as an all round player. but goal scorer 100% Matthews imo

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Well there's no wrong answer , but i would pick Mack , idk i think he has more drive and competitiveness. But either way we are pretty much talking #1 and #2

Nobody in the league can create grade A chances out of nothing on the rush the way those two do with the puck on their stick. That's what sticks out in my mind, that puts them them above the rest in the league, their ability to skate with the puck through the neutral zone and into the O zone is completely unparalleled in the league.

I can't speak 100% to drive and competitiveness, I dont watch them that close, but at least for McDavid it comes so easily to him that maybe it can come off as less driven or less of a competitive nature compared to a Crosby or MacKinnon (I do watch more McDavid than MacK).

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
I got a little sidetracked by the thread since I think MacKinnon is in a tier with McDavid all by themselves, but I will say that I am very impressed with Matthew's he seemed to have taken a big step in his consistency and compete.

I think he is a top 5 maybe top 10 player in the league right now depending on your biases. Before I make a 100% definitive statement I would like to see him impose his will more on the game. A player with his toolset and the team he has behind them should be better.

I said he has improved his compete and consistency but I still think he has a ways to go and that's what separates him the most from being a definitive top 5 player in the league.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Die hard Leafs fan going with MacKinnon here. Guy takes over shifts like nobody else in the league, he's so fast north-south, but once he's in the offensive zone he's by far the best player at evading checks, working a cycle, putting the puck into the triangle, quick handles, turning on a dime while maintaining puck control, working east-west, etc..

Reactions: Lemonlimey

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Right Now: MacKinnon
1-3 Years: I have no idea how to answer that question

I mean look at MacKinnon's 1st 3 seasons. 63, 38, 52 and 53. just when I thought he was basically a 50-60+point Center, BOOM 97, 99 and so far 80 with like basically 25games left. guys a BEAST
Matthews has done 69, 63, 73, and so far 69 and looks to be healthy finally * knock on wood *
who knows how this will look by the end of next year if Matthews takes off like MacKinnon did in his 5th season.

right now 100% MacKinnon as an all round player. but goal scorer 100% Matthews imo
To be fair when Matthews had 63 and 73 points in his 2nd and 3rd seasons that was because of injuries, even though he still managed to score 34 and 37 goals in 62 and 68 games those years.

So assuming this year he plays all 82 games and he's already at 41 goals through 58 games, he should set a new career high in points that's well in the 90's and maybe even 100.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
To be fair when Matthews had 63 and 73 points in his 2nd and 3rd seasons that was because of injuries, even though he still managed to score 34 and 37 goals in 62 and 68 games those years.

So assuming this year he plays all 82 games and he's already at 41 goals through 58 games, he should set a new career high in points that's well in the 90's and maybe even 100.
oh I know, I still gotta try not to be biased here. and I think MacKinnon right now is a clear step ahead of Matthews. although I do believe Matthews has been a better player in the early years. I cant wait to see how he is next year. if he follows exactly like MacKinnon did and destroys the league in his 5th season it will be Matthews. IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad