Mackinnon or Matthews

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I never said MacKinnon wasn't a good player and if people like him better than Matthews that's their opinion.

However is the number of points Matthews gets during his whole career going to determine if he's better than other players? I never seen it where a player like him can scrore 40+ goals, is on pace for 50+ goals and people look down on him because of his assist totals.
Stop! Just because someone says Mac is better does not mean people are looking down on him. Whatever happened to the anti whining ordinance around here.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The bolded sounds like typical victim complex.

No one is "looking down on him". Just because someone views another player as better than Matthews doesn't mean they're looking down on him. If someone says Gretzky is better than Crosby, I'm not going to cry "why is everyone always looking down on Crosby?!!" because I know that they're simply choosing who they believe is the superior player.

As for why there's a focus on points and not just goals, it's because there's more to being an overall superior offensive player than just who scored the most goals. Otherwise, Ovechkin would have won the Hart and Lindsey for the past however many years in a row he's won the Rocket.
Besides after Matthews rookie season when a lot of the talk was about him only getting 69 points and 29 assists, despite him getting 40 goals, why are things like that still being brought up today when talking about Matthews despite him having 41 goals and counting.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Besides after Matthews rookie season when a lot of the talk was about him only getting 69 points and 29 assists, despite him getting 40 goals, why are things like that still being brought up today when talking about Matthews despite him having 41 goals and counting.
Because despite having one of the highest cap hits in the league, he hasn’t yet had a complete season with a complete game that would warrant that. He’s had stretches for sure, but injuries or cold streaks have kept him from doing it for 80-82 games. He’s looking good this year but that doesn’t make him as good as MacKinnon. In the same way that DeBrincat didn’t have as good of a season as Marner last year or Vrana vs Marner this year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because despite having one of the highest cap hits in the league, he hasn’t yet had a complete season with a complete game that would warrant that. He’s had stretches for sure, but injuries or cold streaks have kept him from doing it for 80-82 games. He’s looking good this year but that doesn’t make him as good as MacKinnon. In the same way that DeBrincat didn’t have as good of a season as Marner last year or Vrana vs Marner this year.
He may have been on his ELC but he did play all 82 games as a rookie and scored 40 goals. So far this season on his new contract he's played every game and is already at 41 goals through 58 games played.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Mackinnon wins because he was on the trailer park boys.

Matthews loses because he's an asshole to women.

Also Mackinnon is by far the better player

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
He may have been on his ELC but he did play all 82 games as a rookie and scored 40 goals. So far this season on his new contract he's played every game and is already at 41 goals through 58 games played.
And I acknowledged that, you have nothing else to say about the Marner comparison?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'll take the guy who's a better player, gets paid half as much, and doesn't have photos flooding the NHL's Facebook showing his God-awful fashion sense.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'll take the guy who's a better player, gets paid half as much, and doesn't have photos flooding the NHL's Facebook showing his God-awful fashion sense.
When MacKinnon signed his current contract he was coming off 21 goals, 31 assists and 52 points in 72 games played in 2016. If he was to become a free agent today he signs for AAV than what Matthews is currently making.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
When MacKinnon signed his current contract he was coming off 21 goals, 31 assists and 52 points in 72 games played in 2016. If he was to become a free agent today he signs for AAV than what Matthews is currently making.

Yeah, except he's already said he'll take another team-friendly deal, which is something Matthews sure as hell didn't do.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I will believe that when I see that. It's easy to say now and harder to do when it's time to sign his next contract.

His intentions seem pretty clear to me...

“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
His intentions seem pretty clear to me...

“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”
Just like how John Tavares said he wanted to re-sign with the Islanders and we know what happened. So a players mind can always change.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Just like how John Tavares said he wanted to re-sign with the Islanders and we know what happened. So a players mind can always change.

Yeeeahhhh the problem here is you're banking on maybes after you made a matter of fact statement, coming on the heels of a comment he made just two months ago...

This wouldn't even be a conversation if Dubas had a clue how to manage his cap.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeeeahhhh the problem here is you're banking on maybes after you made a matter of fact statement, coming on the heels of a comment he made just two months ago...

This wouldn't even be a conversation if Dubas had a clue how to manage his cap.
If MacKinnon does re-sign for a team friendly contract that's great, but until he does that it's why I believe it when it happens.

Also what's considered team friendly? What if he wants 7 years and $11 million AAV just as an example, is that acceptable based on his comments? The way he's playing why wouldn't a team on the open market give him between $12-$14 million.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If MacKinnon does re-sign for a team friendly contract that's great, but until he does that it's why I believe it when it happens.

Also what's considered team friendly? What if he wants 7 years and $11 million AAV just as an example, is that acceptable based on his comments? The way he's playing why wouldn't a team on the open market give him between $12-$14 million.

Cool. Don't go tossing around matter of fact statements based on your completely baseless opinion.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Cool. Don't go tossing around matter of fact statements based on your completely baseless opinion.
I was just asking a simple hypothetical on what a team friendly contract might look like for MacKinnon. Right now he's making $6.3 million AAV, so do Avalanche fans consider a new deal to be $7 - $8 million AAV or would him getting $11 million be to much and not team friendly?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I was just asking a simple hypothetical on what a team friendly contract might look like for MacKinnon. Right now he's making $6.3 million AAV, so do Avalanche fans consider a new deal to be $7 - $8 million AAV or would him getting $11 million be to much and not team friendly?

The matter of fact statement is when you definitively claimed that if he were a free agent right now he'd get more than Matthews.

Sakic is a far better negotiator than Dubas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad