Mackinnon or Matthews

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If people want to say MacKinnon is better that's one thing. However if Matthews gets at least 55 goals that's hard to ignore no matter what his final point total would be.
I think you're underrating assists here. Last year McDavid had 41g75a for 116p, Draisaitl had 50g55a for 105p but it's indisputable McDavid was the better player there. Those 9 goals don't make up the 11 points difference.
Not to discount Matthews, he might have the best wrist shot since Sakic, but MacKinnon is clearly the better player.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think you're underrating assists here. Last year McDavid had 41g75a for 116p, Draisaitl had 50g55a for 105p but it's indisputable McDavid was the better player there. Those 9 goals don't make up the 11 points difference.
Not to discount Matthews, he might have the best wrist shot since Sakic, but MacKinnon is clearly the better player.
Maybe the reason Matthews has less assists is because he's a better goal scorer. So there is nothing wrong with that and I can't see how people would still complain about his assist totals when he scores 50+ goals.

When people see the number of 50 goal seasons Alex Ovechkin has had in those years his assists totals have gone down compared earlier in his career. For example since 2014 when he's got at least 50 goals his assists were 28, 28, and 38.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Matthews is on pace for something like 58 goals and either 99 or 100 points.

So are you saying even if Matthews goal total is more than MacKinnon's all that matters is who gets more total points? Why even bring up what he's on pace for?
Not at all. I’m saying not only goals matters, are you saying that if Mac outscores Matthews by 20 pts that pts don’t matter?

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
Fortunately, even though overwhelming evidence suggests that Matthews will develop further, he doesn't need to to match Mackinnon.
That’s the purpose of this topic, if he can’t match Mackinnon, then Mackinnon is the superior player

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Actually kind of surprised by some people voting Matthews. It kinda shows the type of people we have viewing hockey games. It's honestly really not that close. MacK on any given night looks like the best player in the league.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I'm saying if Matthews scores at least 55 goals or more, people might not care as much if MacKinnon gets more points than him.
Some people won’t, some people will. I believe more people will care about the 20pt gap. And no that’s not people saying Matthews sucks or that goals don’t count

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Some people won’t, some people will. I believe more people will care about the 20pt gap. And no that’s not people saying Matthews sucks or that goals don’t count
Why don't we wait and see what their final point totals will be since there is no guarantee MacKinnon ends up with 20 points more.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Maybe the reason Matthews has less assists is because he's a better goal scorer. So there is nothing wrong with that and I can't see how people would still complain about his assist totals when he scores 50+ goals.

When people see the number of 50 goal seasons Alex Ovechkin has had in those years his assists totals have gone down compared earlier in his career. For example since 2014 when he's got at least 50 goals his assists were 28, 28, and 38.
Maybe the reason MacKinnon has more points is because he’s the better hockey player.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe the reason MacKinnon has more points is because he’s the better hockey player.
I never said MacKinnon wasn't a good player and if people like him better than Matthews that's their opinion.

However is the number of points Matthews gets during his whole career going to determine if he's better than other players? I never seen it where a player like him can scrore 40+ goals, is on pace for 50+ goals and people look down on him because of his assist totals.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm saying if Matthews scores at least 55 goals or more, people might not care as much if MacKinnon gets more points than him.
MacKinnon simply creates more goals for his team than hotdog puckhog Matthews. MacKinnon is so active and high pace that he handily outshoots Matthews on net (4.64 per game versus AM 4.06) and still has the puck enough to almost double Matthew's paltry assist totals. And Matthews plays on a high octane offense too, with stars all over. Yeah yeah yeah, your coaches don't trust him with 22 minutes a night like MacKinnon. MacKinnon demands those minutes, and he's a f***ing engine out there. He literally never stops playing at 120%. He controls the game significantly more.

Matthews does have that snipe sauce though. He sure scores some beauts. Definitely more precise and accurate than MacKinnon who can play like a volume shooter at times (which unlike basketball, in hockey can actually be a very positive thing)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
MacKinnon simply creates more goals for his team than hotdog puckhog Matthews. MacKinnon is so active and high pace that he handily outshoots Matthews on net (4.64 per game versus AM 4.06) and still has the puck enough to almost double Matthew's paltry assist totals. And Matthews plays on a high octane offense too, with stars all over. Yeah yeah yeah, your coaches don't trust him with 22 minutes a night like MacKinnon. MacKinnon demands those minutes, and he's a ****ing engine out there. He literally never stops playing at 120%. He controls the game significantly more.

Matthews does have that snipe sauce though. He sure scores some beauts. Definitely more precise and accurate than MacKinnon who can play like a volume shooter at times (which unlike basketball, in hockey can actually be a very positive thing)
It was Mike Babcock who would limit Matthews ice time even though he wanted to play around 22 minutes or more. It was Sheldon Keefe who is giving him more minutes.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
It was Mike Babcock who would limit Matthews ice time even though he wanted to play around 22 minutes or more. It was Sheldon Keefe who is giving him more minutes.
Oh is he getting them now? Well that's excellent. That was always confounding to me. I had heard Keefe was kind of doing the same thing at first. Maybe I was wrong.

Edit: wow and I just looked. Matthews has actually played more minutes this year than MacKinnon! Admittedly only 25ish minutes in 2 more games, so he's playing slightly less per game. But still, that's good news.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh is he getting them now? Well that's excellent. That was always confounding to me. I had heard Keefe was kind of doing the same thing at first. Maybe I was wrong.

Edit: wow and I just looked. Matthews has actually played more minutes this year than MacKinnon! Admittedly only 25ish minutes in 2 more games, so he's playing slightly less per game. But still, that's good news.
Exactly and that's one reason why Leafs fans were happy to see Babcock fired.

You've never seen someone make fun of Ovechkin's assist totals? Or Laine though he's kinda not the same player this year. I sure have.
Compared to Matthews I don't remember anyone talking about Ovechkin's or Laine's lack of assists.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I never said MacKinnon wasn't a good player and if people like him better than Matthews that's their opinion.

However is the number of points Matthews gets during his whole career going to determine if he's better than other players? I never seen it where a player like him can scrore 40+ goals, is on pace for 50+ goals and people look down on him because of his assist totals.

The bolded sounds like typical victim complex.

No one is "looking down on him". Just because someone views another player as better than Matthews doesn't mean they're looking down on him. If someone says Gretzky is better than Crosby, I'm not going to cry "why is everyone always looking down on Crosby?!!" because I know that they're simply choosing who they believe is the superior player.

As for why there's a focus on points and not just goals, it's because there's more to being an overall superior offensive player than just who scored the most goals. Otherwise, Ovechkin would have won the Hart and Lindsey for the past however many years in a row he's won the Rocket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad