Mackinnon or Matthews

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You mean if you choose to conveniently ignore the last several seasons right?

No one's ignoring it. Again, not sure what you are struggling with in that I quite clearly stated I would take MacKinnon TODAY but am not convinced I would going forward.

This really isn't a difficult concept. Only if you don't like data.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Great, now let us know how many guys that outscored Datsyuk at 19 ended up better than him.

That's a patently asinine argument. It's up there with people trying to suggest it makes no sense that Matthews numbers would increase with more minutes and better usage by comparing him to 3rd and 4th liners playing 12 minutes per game.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Lol Mackinnon AINEC. Rantanen or Matthews would’ve been a better question.

Let's do that:

G/GP

Matthews 0.56
Rantanen 0.35

A/GP

Matthews 0.45
Rantanen 0.53

Pts/GP

Matthews 1.01
Rantanen 0.88

Now since it apparently will offend some snowflakes out there and we can only consider THIS YEAR:

G/GP

Matthews 0.70
Rantanen 0.47

A/GP

Matthews 0.48
Rantanen 0.45

Pts/GP

Matthews 1.18
Rantanen 0.97

Now since Matthews has actually increased the gap, I am sure this is where the goalposts will shift and we'll be told to adopt one measurement technique versus MacKinnon versus the opposite versus Rantanen.

Better yet, as with the polls section, we'll probably find that in Matthews versus Rantanen, the concept of centre versus wing is irrelevant. Which is interesting because apparently it matters when they compare Marner versus centres but then when they compare Matthews versus wingers....irrelevant.

You have to love the consistency around HF Boards.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The posts clearly question his motivational issues as he said he’s seen numerous posts by leaf fans doing just that.
There has been no evidence of Leaf fans claiming motivational issues, not that that would be evidence of anything anyway. The individual made a statement. It is up to him to support it; not hide behind false claims about what others supposedly said.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Let's do that:

G/GP

Matthews 0.56
Rantanen 0.35

A/GP

Matthews 0.45
Rantanen 0.53

Pts/GP

Matthews 1.01
Rantanen 0.88

Now since it apparently will offend some snowflakes out there and we can only consider THIS YEAR:

G/GP

Matthews 0.70
Rantanen 0.47

A/GP

Matthews 0.48
Rantanen 0.45

Pts/GP

Matthews 1.18
Rantanen 0.97

Now since Matthews has actually increased the gap, I am sure this is where the goalposts will shift and we'll be told to adopt one measurement technique versus MacKinnon versus the opposite versus Rantanen.

Better yet, as with the polls section, we'll probably find that in Matthews versus Rantanen, the concept of centre versus wing is irrelevant. Which is interesting because apparently it matters when they compare Marner versus centres but then when they compare Matthews versus wingers....irrelevant.

You have to love the consistency around HF Boards.

It’s not just about points. Rantanen is 6’4 217, plays hard, skates great and is excellent defensively. He might not score as many goals or points as Matthews during the regular season but his overall game is superior, his excellent 2-way game is invaluable in the playoffs. It’s very close between the two as to who is the more effective player overall.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Mackinnon started slow, compare this season and the last 2 with Matthews.
I already did, and they are as close as you can get.
Matthews hasn’t really progressed since his rookie year, his overall game needs work and he is weak defensively.
Matthews has progressed significantly since his rookie season. His overall game is elite, and he is not weak defensively.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
There has been no evidence of Leaf fans claiming motivational issues, not that that would be evidence of anything anyway. The individual made a statement. It is up to him to support it; not hide behind false claims about what others supposedly said.
Except those 5 quotes someone found like really quickly. They were of course all dismissed as trolls and not true leaf fans. But yeah, zero leaf fans ever said anything like that. lol

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012

You read with your fingers eh. Sorry to hear.

Still waiting for you to support your claim tho.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
No one's ignoring it. Again, not sure what you are struggling with in that I quite clearly stated I would take MacKinnon TODAY but am not convinced I would going forward.

This really isn't a difficult concept. Only if you don't like data.
Dawg you are not making data-driven statements. You're forming and sharing a non-complex opinion based on your custom selection of the data with part of it (MacKinnon's current state) completely tossed out. You did zero analysis in here. Please don't act like you're some data scientist out here making unbiased claims and seeking the truth while we hide our heads in the sand. It's clearly not reality.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Mack with 80 points to Mathews 69 points. Both great players but you have to cherry pick stats pretty hard to pick Matthews here. Mack is the more complete player and Matthews the better goal scorer.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It has nothing to do with whether you like their opinions. If you can predict someone's stance on everything, it ends up telling you a lot.....to the extent it isn't an opinion but a role.
There are a lot of die hard leaf fans, very often yourself included that I can predict their stance on. Does that mean the same thing then?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Mack with 80 points to Mathews 69 points. Both great players but you have to cherry pick stats pretty hard to pick Matthews here. Mack is the more complete player and Matthews the better goal scorer.
Matthews still has 41 goals and counting. Plus he's on pace for at least 99 points and you know he's not going to finish this season with 69 points.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I saw the quotes. There has been no evidence of Leaf fans making those claims, not that that would be evidence of anything anyway.

I don't have a claim that I have yet to support, unlike the person I was responding to.
IDK. It seems like pretty cold hard evidence to me. Plus your opinion on the leafs seems super predictable as well, so judging by Rants (a true leaf fan) definition, you fall into the same category as those "fake leaf fans" that you are trying so hard to discredit, right?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
and Mac is on pace for 47 goals 117 pts
Matthews is on pace for something like 58 goals and either 99 or 100 points.

So are you saying even if Matthews goal total is more than MacKinnon's all that matters is who gets more total points? Why even bring up what he's on pace for?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Plus your opinion on the leafs seems super predictable as well, so judging by Rants definition, you fall into the same category as those "fake leaf fans" that you are trying so hard to discredit, right?
I support my positions and evaluations with evidence, and consistently apply them the same way for all teams and players.
Still here waiting!
Me too.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Matthews is on pace for something like 58 goals and either 99 or 100 points.

So are you saying even if Matthews goal total is more than MacKinnon's all that matters is who gets more total points? Why even bring up what he's on pace for?
20 points is quite a sizeable gap...we're talking 60 points 2nd liner to 80 points 1st liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->