Prospect Info: MacKenzie Blackwood -G- (42nd Overall 2015)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We do not technically need a center if we can find a top 6 right shooting forward who can help drive a line. This is also my reason for wanting Hall to play with Zacha so Hall can drive that line and hell PZ out. Shoring up the defense and goaltending is what’s important. Do that and this team is good.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think people underrate how much the defense needs to be fixed. It's going to be really tough. Frankly, I don't believe we have a legitimate top pair defender on the team, and at least a couple that really don't belong as regulars in the NHL unless used very sparingly.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think people underrate how much the defense needs to be fixed. It's going to be really tough. Frankly, I don't believe we have a legitimate top pair defender on the team, and at least a couple that really don't belong as regulars in the NHL unless used very sparingly.
We at least need two big upgrades on D, that is indeed very tough.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Where are we finding a defensive top 3 and second line center? Additionally, how are we planning on fixing our AHL bottom 6?

We could certainly be a lot better next season with some good moves and some lottery luck, but it would have to be a historic offseason to make us "good" IMO. Still a few years away.
Shero will have the most cap space to play with this off season, and it happens to be a very strong class.
It's going to be interesting to see what he does at the trade deadline, he has a history of lopsided trades so maybe he can snag a decent nhl ready prospect.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Think about this for a second....when is the last time we had a legitimate top pairing defender on this team?

I honestly believe this team's defense is better than its showing. And I honestly believe it is a lack of a structure that is causing so many of the problems.

Reactions: Darkauron

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Think about this for a second....when is the last time we had a legitimate top pairing defender on this team?

I honestly believe this team's defense is better than its showing. And I honestly believe it is a lack of a structure that is causing so many of the problems.

Since Stevens retired, probably.

Even if the defense is better than it looks due to a lack of structure, which i agree with, what does that make it? A little better than the worst in the league by far? IMO, even with a good coach, this is a bottom third defense at best completely lacking in impact players.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well define legitimate top pairing defender. Once upon a time not that long ago Greene was fine in that role. Top pairing to me is top 60 in the NHL, Greene was that for a few years. Obviously not on the top half of that list but still people go overboard with the legit top pairing/top line misnomer.

It would be nice to not have to play Blackwood 30 or so games behind this trainwreck on D but so far so good in his nine games at least.

Reactions: Darkauron

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well define legitimate top pairing defender. Once upon a time not that long ago Greene was fine in that role. Top pairing to me is top 60 in the NHL, Greene was that for a few years. Obviously not on the top half of that list but still people go overboard with the legit top pairing/top line misnomer.

It would be nice to not have to play Blackwood 30 or so games behind this trainwreck on D but so far so good in his nine games at least.
The defense was amazing for him today, not many dangerous chances.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Since Stevens retired, probably.

Even if the defense is better than it looks due to a lack of structure, which i agree with, what does that make it? A little better than the worst in the league by far? IMO, even with a good coach, this is a bottom third defense at best completely lacking in impact players.

Last year we were 15th in the leageu in Goals Against Average...it certainly wasn't goaltending...

This year we are 26th with league worst goaltending. Our offensive production is only slight off from last season...

If this team had a structure and average goaltending it would easily be in the top half of the league and maybe better. We were in the middle last season with average goaltending and no structure.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
lol this team won't be "very good" with some tdl acquisitions, short of giving up the farm to acquire a rental. They are middle of the pack. Definitely not as bad as the standings would imply but not good either. They are still a few years from that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Well it’s the train wreck here or the train wreck in Bingo.

I think the big club gives up less shots at least.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Camille the Eel

Brian Rafalski maybe? He stayed around a bit after Stevens (maybe). Then went on to win at least one cup with Detroit.

But I really like how well Blackwood reads plays thus early in his career. I’m not sure you can teach that so much. (KK is still quite poor at it occasionally - even regularly - despite all his experience). Blackwood just seems to know where the puck is going.

He’s also looking very fundamentally sound. In technique. Good positioning and angles for a kid in his 6th or 7th game or something like that.

Of course very flexible, good balance and strength. Though his strength hasn’t caught up to his flexibility at this point when he’s still probably growing and filling out physically.

Which is why I’d like to see Hynes be careful with him at this point. You see it often with hyper flexible young dancers. Until the muscular strength catches up with extreme flexibility, they can be vulnerable to hip and back injuries in particular. They are still growing. So don’t overuse him. 2 games in a row good. Then give him some rest.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Depends what the philosophy is...play your best goalie in the more winnable game (Chicago) or the tougher game (at CBJ on a back to back)? They'll split the next two either way.

Kink has had success vs Chicago, well, wins.

I'd go with Mac on Monday and Kink Tues

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Depends what the philosophy is...play your best goalie in the more winnable game (Chicago) or the tougher game (at CBJ on a back to back)? They'll split the next two either way.
Kink has had success vs Chicago, well, wins.

I'd go with Mac on Monday and Kink Tues
We're at the point in the season where it's stupid to play the same goalie two nights in a row, but I think it would be fine to give Blackwood a start in back to back nights at some point to see how he handles them, but there's no need to right now coming off of injury.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think an in his prime Greene would do wonders for this defense.

A legit top pair, (or better yet legit #1), is the most glaring need on the team.

Well as long as Blackwood continues looking like a legit goal tender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad