Prospect Info: MacKenzie Blackwood -G- (42nd Overall 2015)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
what would make you nervous? Arent goaltender supposed to be able to do that with ease?

He's 225 pounds, playing like he's a much lighter goalie like Kinkaid or Tuukka Rask and overly being extended with this defense. Maybe I'm just used to Marty's free-easy style, Cory not being overly athletic and smaller guys like KK, Terreri and Hedberg. Big guys like Blackwood shouldn't be too liberal with smaller goalie athletic type saves unless they have to, and with this defense he has to. Big goalies should be more about positioning ideally.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He's 225 pounds, playing like he's a much lighter goalie like Kinkaid or Tuukka Rask and overly being extended with this defense. Maybe I'm just used to Marty's free-easy style, Cory not being overly athletic and smaller guys like KK, Terreri and Hedberg. Big guys like Blackwood shouldn't be too liberal with smaller goalie athletic type saves unless they have to, and with this defense he has to. Big goalies should be more about positioning ideally.
I don't consider KK a smaller goalie. He's 6'2". In fact, before I looked it up, I thought he was bigger than Cory. He certainly looks bigger in net than him right now.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I don't consider KK a smaller goalie. He's 6'2". In fact, before I looked it up, I thought he was bigger than Cory. He certainly looks bigger in net than him right now.

Out of Cory, Kinkaid, and Blackwood, Kinkaid certainly looks and plays like the bigger of the 3 goalies. Blackwood moves the best out of the 3 and that contributes to him playing a smaller style because he is able to get into positions that the other 2 aren't. Cory's movement has never been great even when he was playing well and it has led to him having a tougher time springing backwards or laterally when the puck carrier/puck gets behind his body. Kinkaid hulks over the play a bit more and moves decently, but because of the way he tends to hulk over, he gets caught out of position easily and is why we see him further out of the net than he should be at times.

Blackwood is the biggest of the 3, but plays like the smallest.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Out of Cory, Kinkaid, and Blackwood, Kinkaid certainly looks and plays like the bigger of the 3 goalies. Blackwood moves the best out of the 3 and that contributes to him playing a smaller style because he is able to get into positions that the other 2 aren't. Cory's movement has never been great even when he was playing well and it has led to him having a tougher time springing backwards or laterally when the puck carrier/puck gets behind his body. Kinkaid hulks over the play a bit more and moves decently, but because of the way he tends to hulk over, he gets caught out of position easily and is why we see him further out of the net than he should be at times.

Blackwood is the biggest of the 3, but plays like the smallest.
I presume by "smallest" you mean quickest. Cory just seems to play so deep in the net and hunched over that he just LOOKS small to me. Blackwood started playing deep, but has been coming out and cutting angles more as he gets more comfortable in the NHL.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I presume by "smallest" you mean quickest. Cory just seems to play so deep in the net and hunched over that he just LOOKS small to me. Blackwood started playing deep, but has been coming out and cutting angles more as he gets more comfortable in the NHL.

More or less, yea his athleticism allows for him to be in positions and move well for goalies his size. Some goalies his size are in net and their body size is what they use to their advantage.

Part of why Cory plays deeper could be as a result of him knowing that once he gets "beat" that there isn't much of a chance for him to sprawl back and make an attempt to thwart the puck from going in with a more acrobatic type of save. This isn't to take away what he provided here and in Vancouver when he was playing better, especially here where he helped keep some bad teams in games that they otherwise wouldn't have been in. Hopefully he can regain some form again after these injuries and whatever else might be hindering him, be it here or elsewhere.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Part of why Cory plays deeper could be as a result of him knowing that once he gets "beat" that there isn't much of a chance for him to sprawl back and make an attempt to thwart the puck from going in with a more acrobatic type of save.
To me, it's the classic sign of a goalie that's lacking confidence. It's not even just his positioning, it's his posture. His shoulders are slumped, which takes away width and makes him look even smaller.

Reactions: Devils731

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I assume that blackwood is just having soreness with him still being day to day

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We need Blackwood back in Net....BADLY.

For what lol...just let him go back to the minors and not be tainted by this ****show. He's already got a good taste in his mouth from his first few games, I'd rather not ruin it with repeated exposure to this sorry outfit, which will be even sorrier after the deadline.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I thgink the team is purposely keeping him out “injured” so he stops ruining our chances at s better draft pick. Next year they throw him back out there with our high 2019 draft pick, Ty Smith and Nico :sarcasm:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Will he be ready by Saturday's national tv game vs Philly and Carter Hart?

Yes the big Blackwood versus Hart showdown for the title of which team wasn’t as bad as the other one for a day. That’s what the viewers of a national game are tuning in to see. I’m sure even NYR NYI and even LA and CHI fans will find it riveting.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yes the big Blackwood versus Hart showdown for the title of which team wasn’t as bad as the other one for a day. That’s what the viewers of a national game are tuning in to see. I’m sure even NYR NYI and even LA and CHI fans will find it riveting.

I think FLA and Pitts fans would find it interesting too
Actually any hockey fan.

Match-up of two promising young netminders

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
honestly who cares

the fans that want to see the games find a way, whether it be NHL CEnter Ice or through streams

My3Sons

Sponsor
I'm getting a little concerned to see how you're steering into a lot of more negative posts of late.
Is everything ok?

Thanks for the kind words. I’m ok. No worse than the usual for an over stressed lawyer with kids a wife dogs and in laws. I think I’m just being cynical about the season but I’m still a proud Devils fan. I should be more reasonable in my commentary.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Thanks for the kind words. I’m ok. No worse than the usual for an over stressed lawyer with kids a wife dogs and in laws. I think I’m just being cynical about the season but I’m still a proud Devils fan. I should be more reasonable in my commentary.

You are one of the best here, I enjoy your insight

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
You are one of the best here, I enjoy your insight

I’m just old and hence more patient and my career forces me to view things in a balanced way. I’ve also been fortunate to root for a slew of teams that have won titles so it’s easy for me to be pragmatic. I can understand the frustration of a younger fan who maybe didn’t pick up hockey until the last cup run and is stunned at the failure since then and also roots for the Jets and maybe the Nets or Knicks. That’s tough on any fan. I was there from way back and saw really bad teams and lots of wheel spinning waiting for the team to become more than a so so playoff team. This current era isn’t nearly as bad to me as that was.

And on point - I’m cautiously optimistic on MBW. I know last year in the AHL he was bad but he was doing very well in the ECHL playoffs before injury and apparently he may have had an eye problem that has been resolved. The early returns on his NHL play have been great. He has all the tools and hopefully he can weather the storm of this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad