Confirmed with Link: Mackenze Stewart will not receive a qualifying offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
A draft and signing that Benning used to signify his focus on hard working high character people.

Stewart was a very cool story of perseverance and drive.

Never before has any 7th round pick garnered so much attention in this market.

I never thought of, discussed, or cared about a 7th rounder for even a minute fraction of what I (we) did with Stewart.

Benning opted to burn a 7th rounder for the character rather than upside.
People want to roast Benning for his assessment of talent for this pick... I would say they would be wrong.

I would be interested to hear from the kid about what his experience was like after being drafted and signed by the Canucks.... was it living the dream.. or was it depressing AF, since we know kids and social media.

Anyways... good luck to him in his post-hockey career.
Stewart - your story made us aware of how absolutely critical 7th rounders were.

Reactions: Nerve and alternate

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

I never thought of, discussed, or cared about a 7th rounder for even a minute fraction of what I (we) did with Stewart.
meh, as I said more than once...I could care two ***** about burning a 7th round pick on a feel good story. It's wasting an ELC that I (and many others) have a huge issue with. Gillis didn't give a ELC to Morgan Clark (though there were still some who complained on burning an essentially nepotism pick) - another 7th round selection.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
A draft and signing that Benning used to signify his focus on hard working high character people.

Stewart was a very cool story of perseverance and drive.

Benning opted to burn a 7th rounder for the character rather than upside.
People want to roast Benning for his assessment of talent for this pick... I would say they would be wrong.

I would be interested to hear from the kid about what his experience was like after being drafted and signed by the Canucks.... was it living the dream.. or was it depressing AF, since we know kids and social media.

Anyways... good luck to him in his post-hockey career.
Stewart - your story made us aware of how absolutely critical 7th rounders were.
Is a feel good story about perseverance and drive more important to the Canucks than a good young player like Ondrej Kase?

Genuinely curious here. It would explain a lot if you're more interested in human interest stories than hockey talent.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Is a feel good story about perseverance and drive more important to the Canucks than a good young player like Ondrej Kase?

Genuinely curious here. It would explain a lot if you're more interested in human interest stories than hockey talent.

I feel bad for the kid honestly. He didn't ask for the level of scrutiny and attention he received. I hope he was smart with the money.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I feel bad for the kid honestly. He didn't ask for the level of scrutiny and attention he received. I hope he was smart with the money.

What scrutiny? Like, on an online message board? Aside from boards like this one, I've never really heard anyone talk about this pick or even the signing.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Well.. he was also raw, huge, could skate... to go along with his story... in the 7th round. It was a shot in the dark.

Kase was selected 20 spots after us.
2014, 7th round selections: Total games played : 119.
Kase : 119 games.

Genuinely curious here, What exactly would it explain?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

I don't know about your cherry picked example but I do believe there is value in having a guy that had to overcome obstacles at camp etc. Most professional hockey players are pretty blessed, both physically (obviously if they are pro athletes) but also when you consider the financial support and requirements of the family (getting to early morning practices, or weekend tournies on the other side of the province). When everything in life has been pretty golden, getting to know someone that is chasing the same dream as you but with serious roadblocks can be humbling and motivating.

Reactions: Literally

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well.. he was also raw, huge, could skate... to go along with his story... in the 7th round. It was a shot in the dark.

Kase was selected 20 spots after us.
2014, 7th round selections: Total games played : 119.
Kase : 119 games.

Genuinely curious here, What exactly would it explain?

The other guy most people wanted was Joe Hicketts who ended up undrafted but signed in Detroit. Remains to be seen whether or not he'll be an NHLer with his height but at the very least you'd get a good puck moving guy for Utica.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Draft picks are a relatively rare commodity, especially since the draft was pared down to 7 rounds. Even apart from the contract signing, the idea that "the 7th round doesn't matter" is ridiculous to begin with. Stewart was picked in the 186th spot. Plenty of serviceable to good players have gone around that spot or later in recent years:

Mathieu Perreault: 177
Mark Stone: 178
Jason Demers: 186
Folk Hero Derek Dorsett: 189
Carl Gunnarsson: 194
Justin Braun: 201
Onrej Palat: 208
Anton Stralman: 216
Mark Streit: 262
Jannik Hansen: 287

It is more than reasonable to be annoyed when they use one on the goalie coach's son, just as it is when they cynically draft fringe role players from junior hockey in the hopes they'll grow up to be fringe role players in the NHL.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Seems like a good kid who overcame a lot to even be in the WHL. However, you don’t waste a draft pick on him. Draft someone with a 3% or 5% or whatever chance of making it rather than a guy that had no chance of making the NHL. If you want the guy around then invite him to development camp and the young stars.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Draft picks are a relatively rare commodity, especially since the draft was pared down to 7 rounds. Even apart from the contract signing, the idea that "the 7th round doesn't matter" is ridiculous to begin with. Stewart was picked in the 186th spot. Plenty of serviceable to good players have gone around that spot or later in recent years:

Mathieu Perreault: 177
Mark Stone: 178
Jason Demers: 186
Folk Hero Derek Dorsett: 189
Carl Gunnarsson: 194
Justin Braun: 201
Onrej Palat: 208
Anton Stralman: 216
Mark Streit: 262
Jannik Hansen: 287

It is more than reasonable to be annoyed when they use one on the goalie coach's son, just as it is when they cynically draft fringe role players from junior hockey in the hopes they'll grow up to be fringe role players in the NHL.

It is also a bit of a strawman, since people are talking about giving him an nhl contract moreso than wasting a pick on him. The latter was run of the mill stupid while the former was indefensible.

None of Morgan Clark, Marc Andre Roy, etc ever came close to getting a contract.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Discussion on Stewart can continue in ex-Canuck threads. Discussion on management regimes and their drafting strategies can go to the management thread.

Closed.

Reactions: Nerve
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad