Sportsnet: MacArthur sounds off on former coach Carlyle

SteveV*

It was very loud.

My work here is done ;)

It's actually a complicated story what happened with Grabo, lots of factors. Bottom line for me, he's a top six player in the NHL, that doesn't mean it's here.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Grabo forced himself there by not outplaying Kadri as a second line Center.

Bingo.

Alot of what Macarthur is saying appears to be him defending Grabo. They were close friends while in Toronto so it would make sense that he would ham up the comments a bit.

Different coaches for different folks. I'm not sure why this is news to anyone. Not every coach gets along with every player.

Geese_Howard*

To much whining going on from former players. You don't hear Carlyle bashing former players. He moves on and keeps it professional.

utah

Apr 12, 2006
One thing you're right about, Carlyle's schtick will wear out in a couple years.

This is almost a given. It's also why players don't really consider who is the current coach....when they sign 8 year deals.

In an 8 year deal a player could easily play for two or three coaches during the term.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Bingo.

Alot of what Macarthur is saying appears to be him defending Grabo. They were close friends while in Toronto so it would make sense that he was ham up the comments a bit.

Different coaches for different folks. I'm not sure why this is news to anyone. Not every coach gets along with every player.

I don't think that's it at all. I think he just shares Grabovski's opinion of Carlyle, probably in no small part because he was scratched for playoff games.

Grabovski may have dropped the ball last season, but once he did Carlyle did a pretty good job of making sure he never picked it back up again. And this was basically the point Grabovski seemed to be trying to get across, not easy considering how emotional it was, and in his second language. "I feel no ****ing support from this ****ing idiot" I think were the exact words. In any case he was probably as pissed off about not getting a chance to redeem himself in Toronto as he was about the shortened season itself. The guy wanted to play here.

We are already seeing Washington use him to great success on their top PP unit, so it looks like our loss is their gain.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Repost:

First 10 games of the season -

Grabovski: 18:34 AVG TOI

Last 10 games of the season -

Grabovski: 12:63 AVG TOI

If you're playing over 18 minutes a night, you're very clearly a top 6 forward, playing in all situations, with good linemates. The coach has identified you as a core player, and is giving you ample opportunity to succeed.

So what happened here? Carlyle threw Grabovski the ball, and he ****ing dropped it, that's what.

If I have to hear one more time about how Carlyle forced Grabovski into a role he shouldn't have been in, and set him up for a bad season I will scream. That is complete and utter horse ****. His failure is 100% on his own shoulders. He played awful. He didn't produce. He played himself down the depth charts and off the team. Carlyle had virtually nothing to do with it.

Well said.

Grabovski has a lot of talent, but simply isn't a very smart hockey player so often times his efforts are wasted. He tries to make plays that aren't there.

As for MacArthur, I see him as a serviceable-to-good NHLer, but nothing really jumps out about his game. Not especially bad at anything, but not especially great at anything either. He didn't have too much trouble finding a job in the NHL, but we aren't going to miss him, really.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lol MacArthur needs to take a long look at his work history and maybe realize that there is a reason why he's routinely been a castaway in his career. His work ethic has always been in question, he had one great year and not a surprise it was when his career was in jeopardy after Atlanta (i believe it was?) walked away from the arbitrations decision.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Who cares what Mac has to say?

Obviously he doesn't fit in here any more. Its not often that the club feels that way and the player had no inkling. Yes he didn't fit into the system or the system didn't fit him.

However you spell it out or from whichever perspective you are looking at it from, he is gone and and we have replaced him.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
When has Bozak ever played terrible?

The only thing he does remotely well is his faceoff ability. Even then, he is slightly above average. He isn't a very good player. Anyone could look "respectable" playing with one of the best wingers in the game and another top LW (Lupul 2011-2012 and when healthy last season). He pretty much rides shotgun with Phil Kessel.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
He really rarely has a bad game. Sure he doesn't 'finish' some plays off, but his compete level and fundamentals are always there.

I agree.

He is one of our most consistent players who knows how to stay within himself. Its not his fault he isn't want we want him to be. its the GM's job to upgrade the roster.

When I judge Bozak's game, I try and do so with his capabilities in mind and don't say he had a bad game or season when he doesn't perform like Toews or some other better player.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
The only thing he does remotely well is his faceoff ability. Even then, he is slightly above average. He isn't a very good player. Anyone could look "respectable" playing with one of the best wingers in the game and another top LW (Lupul 2011-2012 and when healthy last season). He pretty much rides shotgun with Phil Kessel.

You mean by first line standards, or third line standards?

:laugh:

Not producing like a 1st line centre doesn't mean you're playing terrible, lol. I can't even recall the last time Bozak had a bad game. Let alone a stretch.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Bozak does absolutely everything that the coach asks from him:

-Plays good defensively.
-Wins faceoffs.
-Plays on the 1st line.

The only thing that sucks is Bozak getting 1st line PP minutes because I feel that our PP would be much better if Kadri is on it instead.

JvR and Lupul have both had career years with Bozak as their center and Kessel on the RW. Sometimes it's nice to have a player that you can depend on in all situations.

I feel as if Bozak would be getting a lot more love if he put 10 more points on the board. Bozak is akin to an all down running back. He may not be Adrian Peterson but he'll still get the job done in crucial moments.

How bad must Grabovski have played last year that the coach would opt to play an INJURED Bozak on the first line in the playoffs rather than him?

You don't go from playing 18-20 minutes in the first 10 games to playing 12 minutes by the end of the season just because your coach doesn't like you. You can hide from the truth but it will always be there...Grabovski simply didn't perform like a 5.5M center and was subsequently bought out.

Grabovski and MacArthur must have loved Ron Wilson. Run and gun, do what you want, never get criticized for the mistakes you make...play pond hockey and make millions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad