Confirmed with Link: Mac Hollowell signed to ELC

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
All draft picks should be viewed as nothing more than a tradeable asset. Durzi was good enough to be part of a package for Muzzin so its possible Hollowell could be moved for another need somewhere down the line.
Sandin and Lilly are the next wave for the leafs D core. The rest are a bonus.

• Rielly
  • Dermott
  • Sandin
  • Lilly

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Ok lol no one is understanding. When that deal was made I believe if Mac wasnt doing what he is doing this year Dubas doesn't trade Sean he trades someone else that LA liked. Now if Durzi had been at least in the AHL I'd agree. But w.e. this Hollowell kid looks real damn good
Its more likely the Kings were interested in Sandin & Lilly and a B level D prospect. Instead Dubas countered with a B level defenceman and a A level forward. It was more about Dubas protecting his top D assets in an area of need while dealing from an area of excess.
Kap + Johnsson (and to some degree Bracco) made Grundstrom expendable.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
All draft picks should be viewed as nothing more than a tradeable asset. Durzi was good enough to be part of a package for Muzzin so its possible Hollowell could be moved for another need somewhere down the line.
Sandin and Lilly are the next wave for the leafs D core. The rest are a bonus.

• Rielly
  • Dermott
  • Sandin
  • Lilly

Yeah, Durzi was already expendible as is Hollowell now in the right trade.

Reactions: Mork

horner

May 22, 2007
Experience counts, he's 21 in 6 months, if your playing against teenagers at that age you do have an advantage that they don't have and development years that they haven't hit yet

When he's playing pro against pro sized men were going to get a much better read on him and his game, at that size defending a Matthews size forward takes some not insignificant abilities

Those guys are forwards, besides Spurgen and Krug it's not that easy listing off guys 5'10 and under playing consistent bottom pair minutes let alone top 4

He can certainly make it but his defensive game in the pro ranks will decide what he is, he won't get consistent minutes until he can prove that at least so I'm withholding judgement until then
I think we would all love size on d
Here's a list of defenceman under
6' 00" 190lbs
Barrie
Krug
Karlsson
Spurgeon
Ellis
Butcher
Dumba
Girard
Greene
Vatanen
Stralman
Mete
Kylington

Not a bad list
The league is going smaller on the back end

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we would all love size on d
Here's a list of defenceman under
6' 00" 190lbs
Barrie
Krug
Karlsson
Spurgeon
Ellis
Butcher
Dumba
Girard
Greene
Vatanen
Stralman
Mete
Kylington

Not a bad list
The league is going smaller on the back end

It certainly is trending towards speed and skill rather than size but in a 31 team league that list has 13 guys on it, then take into account how many 5'10 defenseman come through the ranks those aren't great odds

I like the skating, offensive vision and puck skills, it's a matter of developing his defensive game so he has the ability to handle the defensive assignments he's going to be asked to do

I'm not sure if that's just an innate ability or can be developed, he's going to be an interesting case study

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Give him a good shot at D to see if his impressive skills enable him to beat the size odds. If he doesn’t make it on the blueline, especially if it is because of size considerations, I would like to see him get a shot at forward. His skating and hands are better than most Leaf Centre prospects, IMO, maybe better than any of them.

The Leafs have some tremendous succcess with blueline to forward conversions in the past, Red Kelly, Gary Leeman and Wendel Clark. More recent developments in the game haven’t made the change any more challenging, IMO.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Showing he can produce without Sandin as his partner. Good for him. I think it was between him and Durzi for the Muzzin trade but Dubas saw more in Hollowell. Mind you Durzi has been doing good since being traded to Guelph but still a solid keep.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I have nothing at all against Durzi, but it is worth noting that he has continued to miss games since the trade, presumably because of injury. He seems to have a dose of Carlo Colaicovo syndrome.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm looking forward to see what he can do in the AHL. The guy is absolutely tearing up the O
Tearing up the OHL, and, becoming an NHL regular, are two separate things that may not be related at all.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Give him a good shot at D to see if his impressive skills enable him to beat the size odds. If he doesn’t make it on the blueline, especially if it is because of size considerations, I would like to see him get a shot at forward. His skating and hands are better than most Leaf Centre prospects, IMO, maybe better than any of them.

The Leafs have some tremendous succcess with blueline to forward conversions in the past, Red Kelly, Gary Leeman and Wendel Clark. More recent developments in the game haven’t made the change any more challenging, IMO.
This could happen with Gordeev too.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Changing position doesnt happen very much these days. Who was the last one who did it after going professional? Burns? Buff? Before them?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Changing position doesnt happen very much these days. Who was the last one who did it after going professional? Burns? Buff? Before them?

Even then, I think both were still drafted as a defensman... At least, thats what eliteprospects says...

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Did a quick google search and was surprised to learn that Andrei Markov was actually drafted as a center. It was only after he was traded from Voskresensk Khimik to Dynamo Moscow that he transitioned from forward to defense. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: Tall Morty

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
SSM SHOULD have a decent playoff run, so I doubt we'll see Hollowell at all.

Are CHL players eligible for AHL playoffs once their seasons are done? If so, maybe he gets into playoff action if SSM doesn't go too deep.

Yes. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter both joined the Phatoms after their OHL seasons ended.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
His NHLe for the year is 31 points. That kind of production would put him in the defensemen top-60 easy. Obviously size and defensive game are a factor but this is a good trajectory for a 4th round pick. Would love to see him pair up with his buddy Sandin in the AHL.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
His defensive game is absurdly underrated because of how defence is perceived. He defends the line at an absolutely elite rate

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He said AHL.
Yes, I know that, however, too many of us get overexcited about prospects excelling in the lower leagues. My point was that the talent displayed in those lower leagues does not always translate to success in the NHL. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad