MAC cancels football season

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
UConn also cancelled its football season. And in FCS play, the Pioneer Football League, which is a league filled with teams that don't bother with scholarships, also cancelled it's season, along with the Big Sky Conference.

The MAC largely depends on out of conference games for school revenue, with some teams devoting 3 games to go to larger schools to serve as the role of punching bag (or cupcake, depending on how you want to describe it) to earn hundreds of thousands for the school department to fund other programs, and given that they tend to tie with the Sun Belt as the least viable FBS conference in the nation, they have to go out of their way to have some kind of presence on national TV, which is why they play on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

With all of the Power 5 schools deciding to keep things in-conference, the MAC doesn't have the leverage to support a football season if they can't have those money games, not to mention a lack of revenue if fans can't come to games (though fans usually don't go to mid-week games, and would you really want to tell someone you got COVID-19 after seeing Akron lose yet again?), so I'm thinking it's going to cascade in which smaller schools opt out of playing, while larger schools trudge on, creating a controversy about putting student athletes at risk for TV revenue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad