Landeskog
2017 2nd

OR

Maatta
Kunitz
2017 1st

Landeskog
2017 4th

Reasoning: Upgrades Avs D, especially if Barrie is shipped out. Pitt gets a stud LW for Sid/Geno, Pouliot steps into Maatta's role

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Pens can't justify giving up so much. Would rather lack on LW than create a hole on our blueline we have no means of filling.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pens can't justify giving up so much. Would rather lack on LW than create a hole on our blueline we have no means of filling.

I tend to agree, especially where we are with the cap.

Now, if the deal could be Kunitz+Maatta for Landy and we can resign Schultz...then...I dunno...even then that's tough.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Lol. Why is the OP acting like these two deals are even remotely similar? And how is the Kunitz one more value where less is added?

Kunitz is 36 and nearly useless already. Sheary is 24 and at least in line with what we would be looking for. And people wonder why I just assume all East Coast proposals are from people who know nothing about the Avalanche. Kunitz is negative value IMO

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
It understandably would take a lot to get Landeskog, but as a Pens fan I would have to think hard about Maatta straight up for him, let alone adding a first or more. Not because they're the same value-wise, but because at this point the Pens need defensemen much more than they need more top 6 forwards.

Maatta, Letang and Dumoulin are the only 3 guys I'd be comfortable building around on D in the mid/long-term. And Dumoulin isn't what I'd call amazing.

Pens are fine at this point with Hagelin, Kessel and Hornqvist.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Right now, a defender is more valuable to the Pens than a forward. Understandably it would be a premium to get a winger of Kog's caliber. But currently you most likely wouldn't see the Pens trading for a winger from the point of moving a defender. With Maata's contract, and that he showed light at the end of the tunnel down the stretch of the post season it would be much more advantageous for the Penguins to simply hold on Maata and see if he continues to develop as we'd hoped before he was derailed by injuries and being paired with Scuderi for stretches of time. Which no one would be willing to say help in his ability to recapture his game.

If it were trading from a pure prospect point with the Pens moving a defender, then it could happen. But the Pens moving a NHL ready defender on a good contract that the organization still hopes and believes has not reached his full ceiling yet... That is not going to happen.

So this trade is a pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad