Proposal: Maatta for zuccarello

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Don't we already have a lot of D-men? I'd rather trade Zucc for a mid-late first.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Makes no sense, Pens aren’t strong at D and Rangers have tons of dmen with potential and especially RHD
I’d rather take a 1st+ and continue with the rebuild

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Don’t think this makes much sense for the Rangers.

What is Pittsburgh’s defensive depth looking like this year?
maybe not the worst they've had in the last two decades, but not good enough to trade Maatta for a forward (no offense to Zuccarello).

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Makes no sense, Pens aren’t strong at D and Rangers have tons of dmen with potential and especially RHD
I’d rather take a 1st+ and continue with the rebuild
Matta is LHD, but trade makes no sense. Pens need him or someone better on defense. NYR need young prospects or picks and to be honest, Matta is very average...

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
There seems to be 2 spectrums of Maattas play. Some (mostly pens and avid watchers) say he’s good while most others say he can’t defend. To me he’s somewhere in the middle. I don’t want to say overrated, I’ll just say inconsistent. He shows up more than he doesn’t though.

This is a trade, though, that the Pens would say no to. Disregarding value, the hole that would be created in an already weak D Corp in Pittsburgh would take away all compensation from Zuc. Based off of value, I won’t make many comments because I don’t watch Zuc play a lot. We could use raw stats in a comparative analysis with defensive raw stats, but it just becomes a clap-back argument which makes it not fun anyways.

This is not a good trade accounting for team needs.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Isn't Zuccarello a RWer? That's the Pens deepest position after centre.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I don't think the Rangers would move Zucc. for Maatta because they don't need D, unless we are talking a super star and the first+ at the deadline will be more attractive to them for this rebuild.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Don’t think this makes much sense for the Rangers.

What is Pittsburgh’s defensive depth looking like this year?

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Maatta-Oleksiak
Riikola-Ruhwedal

Riikola has really impressed in camp and they signed Johnson for 5 years, so clearly he's a priority. If they want to play Riikola every night (although that's premature to predict right now), they will need to sit Oleksiak, Maatta, or Johnson.

The idea of trading Maatta has some merit, because he has a good pedigree and is signed to a pretty reasonable deal for a top 4 guy. That said, management loves Olli so I don't think it's likely and I see no reason to do it anytime soon.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Maatta-Oleksiak
Riikola-Ruhwedal

Riikola has really impressed in camp and they signed Johnson for 5 years, so clearly he's a priority. If they want to play Riikola every night (although that's premature to predict right now), they will need to sit Oleksiak, Maatta, or Johnson.

The idea of trading Maatta has some merit, because he has a good pedigree and is signed to a pretty reasonable deal for a top 4 guy. That said, management loves Olli so I don't think it's likely and I see no reason to do it anytime soon.
Riikola is a solid player but as you said, little early to know right now compared to other NHLers. But he has been solid in camp and scored a dirty goal the other night.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Isn't Zuccarello a RWer? That's the Pens deepest position after centre.
Zucc is left handed and plays both rw and lw. Played mostly right wing in NY but that has mostly been because we have had extremely few right handed wingers (who usually play rw).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad