Rumor: MA Godin of the Athletic: Habs could take on Contracts at the Deadline

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Almost never happen a team needs to give a pick for a another to take an expiring contract.

Just look at this year's buyers. about 4-5 buying teams are at the cap. Pittsburgh, Washington, St-Louis, Boston and Dallas. Now of these teams, Pittsburgh has Cole as a ufa to be, Washignton has none, St-Louis has none, Boston has none and Dallas has Lehtonen.

That makes two possibility in the entire nhl. Generally, the team they are buying from will take the cap dump has part of the deal, excpet if the seller team is also at the cap (this year's Detroit for example).

So you can see the possibilities of taking an expiring contract for pick is almost inexistant.

I agree, and I wouldn't expect much in return. The cap space does help when you consider that the Habs are also likely to be sellers, so they could very well be that team that absorbs contracts as part of a larger deal for a higher return.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Teams that don't like to spend money could be included so the coyotes and the sens could be included

But they are also rebuilding, at least the Coyotes are. So not a good idea to give futures for what 1M$?? 1,5M$ max??

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree, and I wouldn't expect much in return. The cap space does help when you consider that the Habs are also likely to be sellers, so they could very well be that team that absorbs contracts as part of a larger deal for a higher return.

Alot more chances that this happens

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
But they are also rebuilding, at least the Coyotes are. So not a good idea to give futures for what 1M$?? 1,5M$ max??
They have rumours to be selling some guys anyways so they are options for Montreal to be the third wheel for a garbage pick. Mostly hammer and other older guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad