MA Fleury left off mckeen's top 30 prospect goalies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSidFan

Aug 5, 2005
Honus Joglund said:
Page 143:

5 PROSPECT CRITERIA .. Players under 25 years of age as of 9/15/2005 who have appeared in less than 50 NHL games (30 for goalies) and less than 25 in any one season (15 for goalies) are considered prospects.

Fleury played in 21 games in 03/04, he's not a prospect according to McKeen's criteria.

okay, my bad, I did not see that criteria part in the magazine ... I think one of the first pages I immediately flipped to was mckeen's listing of the top 50 prospect skaters and top 30 prospect goalies, which was I think within the first 10 pages.

I am not that far into the mag (page 143) yet! :sarcasm:

But thanks for all the replies, especially the views about Fleury, good and bad!

Maybe this should be another thread, but I really liked how "diplomatically correct" mckeens wanted to be when they listed Sidney Crosby AND Alexander Ovechkin as tied for top prospect skater! :clap:

I guess that can avoid any controversy about who is better! :handclap:

I think I will wait until more HF messegeboard posters get the magazine since there are some interesting tidbits I would love hear/read more "knowledgable" poster's views on.

Dogbert*

McKeen's evaluation said that it looks bad for Fleury, given the way he played in the AHL last season. Being relegated to backup duties in the minor-league playoffs when you're supposed to be the next Patrick Roy doesn't bode well.

Claypool_*

Dogbert said:
McKeen's evaluation said that it looks bad for Fleury, given the way he played in the AHL last season. Being relegated to backup duties in the minor-league playoffs when you're supposed to be the next Patrick Roy doesn't bode well.

He's 20

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Levitate said:
let's see fleury put up those numbers in the AHL :dunno:

doesn't matter if he did well for a month in the NHL if he can't repeat it, even at the AHL level.
He still set franchise records for wins and shutouts. :dunno:

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Evilo said:
Let's see how many of these guys can put up a GAA under 2.00 and a SV% around .920 for their first month in the NHL with a D that will be much better than the D the Pens had at the time.

And by that you mean an NHL record of 3.96 GAA and .896 SV%, right?

If you want to cherry pick the stats, Brian Boucher is the all time best goaltender.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
MojoJojo said:
And by that you mean an NHL record of 3.96 GAA and .896 SV%, right?

If you want to cherry pick the stats, Brian Boucher is the all time best goaltender.

You got there just before me. :)

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
X-SHARKIE said:
McKeens doesn't consider him a prospect. In the Penguins top 30 he isn't listed.

Same with guys like Nathan Horton and Eric Staal ect.

From the keyboard of a mckeen's employee so this should settle it.

Rubber Pucky

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
Goalie Ratings

Please tell me that McKeens agrees with me that the Top 5 goalie prospects are:

Lehtonen
Toivonen
Ward
Harding
Howard

These are the guys who have had some proven results. That said, Fleury would have to be somewhere towards the bottom of that list - alongside Ward and Harding, if he were still considered a prospect.

Last edited:

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
jimmy howard is going to be a good goalie, but i wouldn't put him on the top 5 by any means

Rubber Pucky

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
Nich said:
jimmy howard is going to be a good goalie, but i wouldn't put him on the top 5 by any means

Well, I think Howard is pretty close to that elite group. I forgot Lundqvist before, and he should probably be in there, although he's getting slightly old to really be considered a "prospect".

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Well, I think Howard is pretty close to that elite group. I forgot Lundqvist before, and he should probably be in there, although he's getting slightly old to really be considered a "prospect".

he's 23

:dunno:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
stats that he's failed to repeat even at the AHL level.

ohhhh he had great stats for one month! that means nothing for his career unless he can repeat it.

Vic Rattlehead*

I think what happened at the WJC destroyed Fleury's mental game. He wasn't the same after that debacle. He had problems in the Q playoffs, and played poorly in the AHL.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jon Prescription said:
It's funny how insanely homer-ist that Evilo is.
How so?
People are saying in this very thread that Fleury has done nothing on the ice and lives off his draft status.
I point to his first NHL month as being absolutely amazing, and he still put up decent numbers last year in the AHL.
That he needs to do more is obvious, but to say he's done nothing is simply not true.
If that is homerish, then so be it!

EDIT : We know you can't stand Pittsburgh and it seems your bias AGAINST Pittsburgh is much stronger than my bias for them :
http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3423705&postcount=60

Last edited:

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
The one disturbing thing I found regarding Fleury is his playoff performances both in the QMJHL and the AHL have been atrocious. He seems to choke during the post season...not a good sign.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Can someone post the list please? and when was it last updated?

[edit] just read the sticky, can't post rankings from other sources??

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
My god... how can you guys even be considering saying Fleury is not a top 5 goalie prospect. It's really a toss up between Fleury and Lehtonen at to who the top goalie prospect in the world is.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Joey24 said:
My god... how can you guys even be considering saying Fleury is not a top 5 goalie prospect. It's really a toss up between Fleury and Lehtonen at to who the top goalie prospect in the world is.

He certainly hasn't earned the title in the last couple of years. He's looking more and more closer to a Jamie Storr than a Patrick Roy or Ed Belfour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad