M_B's 2nd mock draft, analysis included

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
1-Washington: Alexander Ovechkin
Do I really need to say anything here? Hands down the best player in the draft and the highest ceiling to boot. Mcphee is drooling at the thought of drafting a Forsberg/Naslund type player.

2-Pittsburgh: Evgeni Malkin
Similar situation to Ovechkin, not much to be said here. The Penguins appear solid on the blueline with Welch, Whitney, and Orpik all waiting in the wings. Malkin is a Lecavalier clone, that is guaranteed to go #2.

3-Chicago: Rostislav Olesz
Difficult choice for interim GM Dale Tallon, but he chooses the best player available, and that would be Olesz. Some folks might shy away from Olesz because he had his bell rung by Phaneuf, but not Chicago.

4-Columbus: Cam Barker
Doug Maclean has made it clear that Barker is his guy. Easily the best defenceman available, Barker combines size, awareness, and outstanding offensive upside that reminds Maclean of Brad Stuart.

5-Phoenix: Lauri Tukonen
We've heard rumours that Barnett may look to draft stud goalie Al Montoya, but when he see's Tukonen is still on the board, he just cant pass on the silky Finn. Tukonen has it all really, size, skill and heart.

6-NYR: Drew Ladd
Sather continues with the youth movement and drafts budding powerforward, Vancouver boy Andrew Ladd. Scouts may say that Ladd perhaps leached off Getzlaf, but I dont buy it. At times, it was Getzlaf leaching off Ladd. No brainer for the Rangers here.

7-Florida: Rob Schremp
We all know about Mike Keenan's dis-regard about soft, european players. So, what does he do? He drafts the best, most skilled NA available, Robbie Schremp. Schremp gets a bad rap, for some reasons that are even unknown, but he appears to be dedicated to the NHL.

8-Carolina: AJ Thelen
Lets face it, (Caniac dont hate me) the defense depth in Carolina isn't exatly loveable. Carolina will get their hands on the 2nd best defenceman available.

9-Anaheim: Alex Radulov
Really, really a tough decision for me here, but in the end the Ducks just draft the most skilled player. Radulov is a wizard in the offensive zone, and could end being the next Kariya in the Duck pond.

10-Atlanta: Slava Smid
Ok, so we all know about Kovalchuk, Heatley, and Lehtonen. However, after Coburn, Atlanta's future on defense is still quite dim if you ask me. Smid has great size and can run a powerplay with ease.

11-Los Angeles: Marek Schwarz
The obvious choice of the draft. In the end, it comes down to Montoya or Schwarz, Taylor opts for the flashy Shcwarz.

12-Minnesota: Drew Stafford
Just for you, Koala. The big nasty American will make a great 2nd liner in Minny, supporting Gaborik in the goal-scoring dept. for years to come.

13-Buffalo: Boris Valabik
A drool worthy package of size, toughness, ''mean-ness'', and an offensive game. The thought of drafting a potential Chara will be enough for Regeir.

14-Edmonton: Alvaro Montoya
Now, before all of you Oiler fans start screaming that you already have Deslaurier. Lets face it, is JDD your ideal franchise goalie? ;) Montoya proved to already be a big-game goaltender with his outstanding showing at the WJC.

15-Nashville: Andrej Meszaros
The Preds are on the verge of having one of the best defence corps in the league. Drafting Meszaros would only add more credibility to that statement. Showed tremendous poise for a youngster played at the World Championships. Size is an issue, though.

16-NYI: Kyle Chipchura
Bout' time the Isles get a left-handed shot in their system. Chipchura is your classic 3rd line centre, will stick up for his teammates, chip in with points, and aggitate/shut down opposing teams best players. Was it ever in doubt?;)

17-St.Louis: Mike Green
Hear me out, Blues fans. You've talked openly about your lack of right-handed defenceman since Macinnis left, well heres a chance to fill that hole. Green is still underrated IMO, solid size and an all-around game. Won fastest skater at CHL prospects game. A Belle-Green pairing? :yo:

18-Montreal: Alexandre Picard
Alright, so we've heard the knock against the Habs is their toughness (or lack there-of). Well, Picard is no Tie Domi, but he has size and can score. Bit of a clunky skater, but the best player available to this point.

19-Calgary: Lauri Korpikoski
Calgary is rediculously deep on defence, so they will draft the ebst forward available. Korpikoski is a speedster, in the mold of Saprykin if you will. Could end up being a 1st liner.

20-Dallas: Johan Fransson
This one goes out to M=D. Fransson is the clear best defenceman available to this point. The Stars have some nice offensive prospects in Eriksson and Mietinen, so IMO Armstrong will mix it up and draft the silky Swede.

21-Colorado: Bruce Grahame
A powerforward in the making. Stock has really skyrocketed int he past, oh I dont know, 4 months. With Forsberg suspected departure, Lacroix will open his eyes and draft size.

22-New Jersey: Dave Bolland
Little, but feisty. Bolland made a nice dynamic due with Robbie Schremp, putting up impressive numbers. Perhaps he would be snatched up earlier if not for his size.

23-Ottawa: Travis Zajac
Relax Ottawa fans, Zajac has size too. 6'2'' 200+ pounds with insane skill. BCHL seemed to be no competiton, so we'll have to wait and see how he progresses in the NCAA, but Ottawa will take a bit of a gamble, and draft the Manitoba native.

24-NYR: Mark Fistric
The suprise pick of the draft. The Rangers decide to take a gamble with their 2nd 1st round pick, and draft the meanest SOB available. Fistric has the size, toughness, and defensive awareness to justify the pick.

25-Edmonton: Enver Lisin
Lisin reminds a few folks of another Oiler, Ales Hemsky. Both smaller, right-hand shots that love to dangle. Difference: Lisin has speed to burn.

26-Vancouver: Wes O'Neill
Much like Carolina, the defense depth in Vancouver is rather weak. Dave Nonis will look to put a stamp on his new team, and draft the 6'4'' project Wes O'Neill to (hopefully) secure the Nucks defense for years to come.

27-Washington: Oscar Hedman
Came down to Hedman or Schultz really, seeing as Washington would love to build on Eminger and Morrisonn. Hedman is just plain better than Schultz. 6'0'' 210 (stocky!), Hedman has an offensive game to boot.

28-San Jose: Vik Alexandrov
Once predicted as a top 10 pick (years ago) Alexandrov is a bit like a UFO, one day on the radar, the next day nowhere to be found. Could be a steal for the Sharks.

29-Washington: Jeff Schultz
Ok so they had to chose between Hedman and Schultz, but it turns out it didn't matter, they get them both. Schultz is a giant that is very, very raw.

30-Tampa Bay: Lukas Kaspar
A talented Czech if I ever saw one. The reason the Bolts overlook Lyamin, or any other defenceman, is because they're friggen stacked on the blueline already. Kaspar has some talent that may make Feaster yell and scream (again).

Last edited:

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We've finally got someone onto something here. The Rangers going out on a limb to get a rough and tumble defensman to go along with a solid LW prospect. That's what I like to see. I'd be happy with Ladd and Fistric out of the first round...if we stay at the 6th and 24th spots.

Then with our four hundred picks in the second round, we could hopefully land some speedburners to go along with the size from the first round. ;) :lol:

Good job M B.

thestonedkoala

Great mock ;)

But we definitely need another wing to go with:

Wallin- O'Sullivan- Gaborik
Dupuis- Koivu- Stafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad