Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So “take the foot off the gas” is the same as “turtling”? You’re trying a little too hard.

How about "playing prevent defense." This is what Alan May calls it but that's only because he doesn't want to insult Barry by calling it what it actually is...turtling! Get a few goals and stop trying to score even if there's 20 more minutes to go in the game. No wonder other teams catch up and every game is decided by 1 goal and usually in OT.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How about "playing prevent defense." This is what Alan May calls it but that's only because he doesn't want to insult Barry by calling it what it actually is...turtling! Get a few goals and stop trying to score even if there's 20 more minutes to go in the game. No wonder other teams catch up and every game is decided by 1 goal and usually in OT.

So I ask again, what’s your strategy the opening period, when the desperate home team is coming out giving 110% pushing you hard tilting the ice towards you? No team can impose their will all the time. I see nothing tactically wrong in playing good D and trying to counter them when they carry the play.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So I ask again, what’s your strategy the opening period, when the desperate home team is coming out giving 110% pushing you hard tilting the ice towards you? No team can impose their will all the time. I see nothing tactically wrong in playing good D and trying to counter them when they carry the play.

1 shot on goal in 20 minutes is inexcusable.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I hope so but the tendency is to have "we only have to win one of the next two" in the back of your mind while the other team is in survival mode. That's why we get to game 7 so much. Then by that time we're scared because we've blown our lead.

I expect to see the best from Cbus. If we can make it through the early onslaught, we can take that game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So “take the foot off the gas” is the same as “turtling”? You’re trying a little too hard.

No I'd say I'm just where I need to be, thanks.

Aren't you the guy who cites Alan May as much as possible as proof that he's right? Because this is all the same kind of stuff he'll talk about, as will Locker.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I expect to see the best from Cbus. If we can make it through the early onslaught, we can take that game.
They can put a real onslaught on Caps if the Caps are gonna play as embarassing as they were in the 3rd period last game. Otherwise, they gotta shut Dubois' line down and thats it. Cbus gain all the momentum all the time once a successful shift that line has. If they are unable to control the puck consistently, the task for the Caps on offense is easy - put 3 or more in net. With Bobs playoffs track record, that shouldnt be super difficult.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The turtle is when the Caps play scared, and that’s why it’s so terrible. Prevent defensive strategies are fear-based. They’re about not believing you can win without circling the wagons, and when you don’t believe in your game, you don’t play to win. And when you don’t play to win, you tend to lose.

They need to play smart but confident. Play their game and play it to win.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Well with that bizarre PA series over in favor of Pitt in 6, I think it's more important Caps wrap this up in 6 Monday night.

I'm sure some of you watched that Pitt @ Philly game. I think Pitt/Murray are there to be taken. Not saying it will be easy, but if Holtby (or Grubi) play well they can defeat them. But only if the reffing is mostly on the level. Even vs an underdog, Pitt had the refs shading it in their favor.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
Winning four in a row, I don't know man, that seems really difficult to do.

A quick review of the season suggests one time when the Caps beat (3 of 4 playoff) teams 4x in a row:

Tue, Dec 12 vs Colorado W 5-2 19-12-1 Holtby Kuznetsov, G: 0, A: 3
Thu, Dec 14 @ Boston W 5-3 20-12-1 Holtby Chiasson, G: 2, A: 0
Sat, Dec 16 vs Anaheim W 3-2 OT 21-12-1 Holtby Ovechkin, G: 1, A: 1
Tue, Dec 19 @ Dallas W 4-3 OT 22-12-1 Holtby Burakovsky, G: 2, A: 1

So it can happen! (They had longer streaks that included more non-playoff-qualifiers)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovi has to play 6th game much better. He's only bad at odd games now.

Imagine he will be good 1 game out of 5 some time down the road.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm from western Canada and I have to be honest. We don't speak like that here. We also don't say aboot. Maybe they speak like that in eastern Canada.
Every region has their own accents and dialects.

I'm from Eastern Canada. You might hear the occasional "eh" at the end of a sentence, but almost no one says "aboot". I believe the few people who say "aboot" are from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Well with that bizarre PA series over in favor of Pitt in 6, I think it's more important Caps wrap this up in 6 Monday night.

I'm sure some of you watched that Pitt @ Philly game. I think Pitt/Murray are there to be taken. Not saying it will be easy, but if Holtby (or Grubi) play well they can defeat them. But only if the reffing is mostly on the level. Even vs an underdog, Pitt had the refs shading it in their favor.

Now that the other series is over I think our only realistic shot to bounce the Pens is if we advance in 6. If there is a Game 7 it’s basically our Cup final. Can’t imagine a scenario where we play that much extra R1 and then go on to win R2.

Reactions: farscape1

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm from Eastern Canada. You might hear the occasional "eh" at the end of a sentence, but almost no one says "aboot". I believe the few people who say "aboot" are from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.

And I'm from Nova Scotia (specifically Lunenburg, a place with an accent noticeable enough to warrant a Wikipedia page for some reason). Nobody says "aboot" here.

At the end of the day, Canadians speak pretty much the same way Americans do. Except for Newfoundlanders. Strange people there.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

What's funny is I didn't even think about it until after he asked, because I use it in text and speech. That's when the joke about Canadian cliche speech presented itself.

It has to come from somewhere. I hear people say "aboot" quite a bit in interviews.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I've literally never heard anyone say aboot or aboat in my life, i've never been to Newfoundland though.

I just assumed it was a bad joke, but now i'm not sure what it's all aboot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've literally never heard anyone say aboot or aboat in my life, i've never been to Newfoundland though.

I just assumed it was a bad joke, but now i'm not sure what it's all aboot.

Watch some canadian hockey broadcasts or NHL network, you'll hear it from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->