Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Outside of game 4, I thought the Caps were the better team in two games (and lost) and got outclassed in two games (which they won in OT). Who knows where this one is headed. Other observations through 5 games:

- Kuznetsov sure is fun to watch and is having a good series. Easily been the caps best forward night in and night out (especially at 5v5);
- Great game 5 from Backstrom. He'd been pretty quiet at ES before that game, so it was good to see him get a couple ES goals (and add a nice PP assist);
- Orpik looks like he turned the clock back 3 years. Very solid on the 3rd pair and a stable force on the PK (the past couple games in particular);
- Would nice to see Ovi and Oshie become more of a factor outside of the power play. 2 and 0 points, respectively. That's not good and Ovi looks beat out there half the time;
- The PP is clicking at 33% and CBJ has given them plenty of chances (a decent number of them unforced too). Given Torts history of playoff series with the Caps and the strategies his Rangers employed, I'm sort of surprised he hasn't placed more emphasis on limiting the penalties. Maybe he has and the players haven't listened, but I'm just surprised as how many slashing and hooking penalties they've taken (and a decent number seem "unforced").
- Wilson and Stephenson have also largely looked good. Orlov runs hot and cold, and Niskanen has looked alright. Carlson has looked fine, especially on the powerplay.

We'll see if they can close this one out. I'm still not sold that they pose much danger to Tampa or the Pens. Stylistically I think they match up okay with Boston if they can get there, but think that's a tall order just to get to that match-up.

Reactions: RandyHolt

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
We'll see if they can close this one out. I'm still not sold that they pose much danger to Tampa or the Pens. Stylistically I think they match up okay with Boston if they can get there, but think that's a tall order just to get to that match-up.

Agreed, I think we can beat the Bs just because we seem to have their number for whatever reason. But, barring a miracle we’ll get smoked by the Pens and Tampa.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think we need Djoos speed against Pitt (if we both make it)

Also Kuzy is an absolute gamer in the playoffs. He could be next captain after ovi retires. Wasn’t he Captain of his team in Russia and there was always articles how his team loved him?

Oshie/Niski/Carlson make sense too but they are all around the same age as Ovi
He was the captain for national junior team in 2012, they took home the silver back then.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Dont know why everybody so scared of Tampa. They are not that good on defense despite what those names say. Their goalie has a tendency to have long stretches of bad games if you get him out of his game quickly by potting a couple of softies on him. Their offense is talented as hell but I'd rather prefer them than Boston or Pittsburgh for us down the road.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Saying the right things, but TALK. We've heard it before and we've seen this franchise come out flat in big games.

Play like your life depends on it.
I think that is what bothers them the most. I think sometimes they play like their lives depend on it, cant get loose, find their groove, catch the wave and thats a recipee for disaster. They just need to be on their game when the time comes and they'll be fine.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Saying the right things, but TALK. We've heard it before and we've seen this franchise come out flat in big games.

Players are on public notice. Show up, play hard and smart from the get go or lose. Starts at the C/A’s to have them up and ready to go from puck drop.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dont know why everybody so scared of Tampa. They are not that good on defense despite what those names say. Their goalie has a tendency to have long stretches of bad games if you get him out of his game quickly by potting a couple of softies on him. Their offense is talented as hell but I'd rather prefer them than Boston or Pittsburgh for us down the road.

There’s only one dumb flightless bird....I mean team this franchise should be concerned about. Playing our best game we beat anyone. I truly believe that. It’s getting them to show up an execute that scares me.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I think the players must feel fortunate that the series is 3-2 after being down 2-0. I have no doubt that they will give their best effort to try to end this one tomorrow.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
I think the players must feel fortunate that the series is 3-2 after being down 2-0. I have no doubt that they will give their best effort to try to end this one tomorrow.

I could also see them coming out with an uber conservative game plan to try and bait Columbus into mistakes and sap the energy from the building. AKA the turtle and counter (the Trotz (TM)). I have a feeling they will come out and try to frustrate Columbus versus trying to put a stake in them early. It could work, but watch out if Columbus is able to score early...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I could also see them coming out with an uber conservative game plan to try and bait Columbus into mistakes and sap the energy from the building. AKA the turtle and counter (the Trotz (TM)). I have a feeling they will come out and try to frustrate Columbus versus trying to put a stake in them early. It could work, but watch out if Columbus is able to score early...

That idea seems completely counterintuitive for the to win. They’re going to be on their heels while CBJ brings it hard the opening 10 mins. Don’t mistake turtling for the other team bringing the house.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
That idea seems completely counterintuitive for the to win. They’re going to be on their heels while CBJ brings it hard the opening 10 mins. Don’t mistake turtling for the other team bringing the house.

I agree that's not the right strategy, I just think they'll design the game plan around it because they expect the push from Columbus. I'm just not sold that they'll be able to turn the tables even after that opening push.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
There’s only one dumb flightless bird....I mean team this franchise should be concerned about. Playing our best game we beat anyone. I truly believe that. It’s getting them to show up an execute that scares me.
Not sure if you talk about me here but sure as hell itsi not me who is the dumb one on this one. I was talking about the Tampa being less worthy of a team to be concerned about than those mentioned. Re-read.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree that's not the right strategy, I just think they'll design the game plan around it because they expect the push from Columbus. I'm just not sold that they'll be able to turn the tables even after that opening push.

And they should expect the push. What’s your game plan when the other team is going all out balls to the walls to start the game fired up by the home crowd? Go totally offense and get blown out quickly and save energy for game 7? ;)

They’re going to need to weather the storm and pick their moments early. That’s pretty much a forgone conclusion. That’s not turtling.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
When a team turtles it means they drop into a defensive game and dump the puck out of the zone. That's not what we do at all. We get caught running around in noir own end and can't clear the zone. We would be better off if we did turtle.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I hope so but the tendency is to have "we only have to win one of the next two" in the back of your mind while the other team is in survival mode. That's why we get to game 7 so much. Then by that time we're scared because we've blown our lead.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When a team turtles it means they drop into a defensive game and dump the puck out of the zone. That's not what we do at all. We get caught running around in noir own end and can't clear the zone. We would be better off if we did turtle.

You keep trying to redefine this term for everyone but maybe you're the one who's wrong, eh? Everyone here knows what we're talking about. Japers, iirc, posted about it. The Caps tv crew doesn't say 'turtle' that I know of but they talk about things like "taking the foot off the gas" and so forth that mean the same thing.

If you want to get technical, "turtling" means falling to the ice and metaphorically going into a shell during a fight. And that going into a shell is how we all use it here, even if you only see it in one specific sense.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You keep trying to redefine this term for everyone but maybe you're the one who's wrong, eh? Everyone here knows what we're talking about. Japers, iirc, posted about it. The Caps tv crew doesn't say 'turtle' that I know of but they talk about things like "taking the foot off the gas" and so forth that mean the same thing.

If you want to get technical, "turtling" means falling to the ice and metaphorically going into a shell during a fight. And that going into a shell is how we all use it here, even if you only see it in one specific sense.
Eh? What does eh mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad