Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
This was certainly not what occurred in last nights contest other than getting superior goaltending. I hope someone in the Caps front office reads your posts and they work on that by tomorrow. :)
Maybe Todd just needs to give them another day off to not think about hockey.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Usually I’d be okay with Caps losing a playoff series after a Cup win. It happens and last year was still my happiest sport moment in life.

However, Canes and Islanders just don’t have the talent and shouldn’t beat the Caps. It’ll kinda suck losing to a inferior team.

Usually you are OK with it but the season after this particular Cup is an exception? Just clarifying.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
The DSP is a minor leaguer lineup:

8-92-43
13-19-72/10
65-20-10/72
62-26-23

Don't panic. We lost by a goal on a D coverage gaffe. Move up the RWs. Slow and steady wins the race.

The bigger problem remains with managing the D, more than the D itself.
9-2
34-74
44-3

Right? Accept reality that we will have to grind out a couple of wins in this series. It's almost like people are not angry about the loss as much as they are about Caps not dominating.

Canes are trapping the hell out of the neutral zone. This means that all games will be low-scoring, completely lacking flow and a disjointed mess. We were right on track through 2 periods and made an unfortunate screw up.

On the only goal that we scored, Eller gave up on this whole triple sling shot, skate the puck through 4 people bull**** and wired it into the zone. Someone else went and retrieved it and 5 seconds later we had a goal. That's how Caps are going to claw their way to victory.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think he will get a sweater for one he is a veteran and for what he shown last years playoffs.

He better get one, as he is a bit of a hero still. Tough to imagine a 4th liner being a hero among fans, with the likes of Ovi Kuzy Holts Willy, Oshie, Carlson etc.

I went see him at a signing after the cup win, but the line was huge, so I just camped out next to him and hung out with his cousin. I figured when the signing ended, I would be standing right there with the tyke, and his cousin. Pure genius! Not, the boy got bored quick after posing with the faux cup, so we bailed.

Reactions: Linnie The Pooh

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Who was saying that there was no chance DSP played a game in the playoffs and was bragging when he didn’t get called up at the end of the season?
I don't know who you're talking about, and I'm a huge DSP stan, but let's not pretend he got here through his own play and not a catastrophic injury to the top 6.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So Brindamour feels a shove into the boards breaking a guy’s wrist is nothing, but a kid getting injured in a mutually intended fight is a problem.

Not just him, but Canes fans and for some curious reason Pens fans.

BigBucketHolly

Apr 12, 2009
Alex is handsome
Bringing up DSP is a good first step but half measures avail us nothing.

For the good of the squad and fans Reirden should be immediately relieved of duties followed by a robust tar and feathering on the way out.

Then Ted should request an emergency do-over type waiver from the NHL in order to resign Barry Trotz before Saturday's game.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Need some minor adjustments to turn that 1:2 into 2:1 score.

Slightly better execution. I doubt that Reirden went to Carlson and asked him to make absolutely sure that every neutral zone pass is either a foot behind or three feet ahead of the forward.

Which brings me to the 2nd point. If there is no passing lane through the dense blob of humanity that Carolina is parking in between the blues, you gotta shoot it in. We don't get to most of those shoot ins but at least Canes have to go the length of the ice to attack again. Instead we are having passes intercepted at the center line when we are in no position to defend. They want to trap? So be it, let's trap. We have better shooters and we'll come out on the right end of most 2:1 games.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
It’s not like the Caps are the first talented team to be trapped by an opponent. In a way it’s even flattering.

Come to think of it weren’t we trapped to death - and ended up running around like chickens with our heads cut off - when Tampa Bay swept us back in the day?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Usually you are OK with it but the season after this particular Cup is an exception? Just clarifying.
Just saying since caps won the Cup last year - I’m happy and love this group of guys. If they lose this year I’m not gonna be upset or crushed like I was years before caps won the Cup.

However, seeing a team where caps have too 3 players easily in talent between both teams and not winning is a bummer. Even against islanders caps would have top 3 players between both teams.

Still tied 2-2 and with home ice - so it’s fine. Good news I see if effort/talent wise - islanders and Canes are kind of same tier (difference being defensively Islanders are so lock down due to Trotz effect).

Reactions: crab

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
When they hit an offensive rut against Pittsburgh last year they went to 8-92-13, and they produced.

I know, I know, y'all are terrified of the defensive weaknesses of that line, but it worked once, and the 5v5 offense isn't working.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
It’s not like the Caps are the first talented team to be trapped by an opponent. In a way it’s even flattering.

Come to think of it weren’t we trapped to death - and ended up running around like chickens with our heads cut off - when Tampa Bay swept us back in the day?

You mean project B’s rookie coaching gig, the season before The Great Selloff, the season of too many men penalties ( starting in preseason), when Calle was tabbed to be an enforcer and lazy Lang openly brushed off the coach on the bench? That season?

Ahhhhh, good times!

I was a STH back then, and the VC made a healthy profit in adult beverage sales as a result.

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->