Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
DSP
tenor.gif

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Having DSP back will be a morale boost for sure (very popular member of the family), I can't see it having much affect on the ice though.

Again, would love to be wrong.

Reactions: ovikovy817

illpucks

May 26, 2011
throw out Eller's empty netter...and only the following
Caps have scored in this series...

Nick
Ovi
Oshi
Wilson
Orpik(defender had no stick)

So yeah,,,there's an issue or three at play.
With Carolina rolling a speed game players like Hagelin, Vrana, Burakovsky should be effective. Wonder when they will show up.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I see we've learned nothing from last year.

It isn't the magical insertion of a player that wins championships. It's a mentality coupled with sound strategy. This team does not have that same mental edge that last year's team rode to the Cup. They do not have the same swagger, or the same drive.

They'd better find it fast because the Canes DO have it.
Well, they need to add bodies so might as well call up a guy who was part of that mindset last year. And he's well-liked so might give them a boost just being back.

But more than all that, the swagger came in how they responded to being down 0-2. We will see if this adversity can help them find it. Obviously the loss of Kempny and now Oshie is huge, but they fought through a lot of injuries last year too.

I thought they played much better defensively last night. They limited the Canes chances well and weren't consistently hemmed in as they had been. But it was on the O side where they still got beat. Not enough sustained pressure, shots, or second chances. Lines 3 and 4 were possession beasts last year and DSP was a part of their strong cycle game. We need more of that, plus more shots at Mrazek.

Siggy helped improve the breakouts and showed he can hang in the loffs. Stabilize the D pairs, give 65 a shot on in a scoring role, slot in 25, and make it work.

FWIW, I'd still like to see Barber up. He plays a TJ-style game and youthful exuberance was a big part of the run last year too.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n and Sam Spade

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I would love to eat a crow but the amount of “DSP is going to save us” talk is absolutely hilarious

I don't see any of that, but something needs to change right? The biggest obstacle for the Caps seems to be motivation. Maybe he brings a spark, maybe not? Plus, it's better than all the doomsday crybaby quitter posts when the series is tied.

tenor.gif

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
A spark plug isn’t the issue. Better execution, faster puck movement, and guys crowding the net is the issue. Better breakouts is the issue.

This has a very different feel from our comebacks against Columbus and Tampa. We were generating chances, was simply a finishing issue. This series is lost barring a significant change in approach and some chance taking in the offensive end.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
I love seeing the jump in a guys step, in his first shift.

You don't see it often from vets, but predict we will from him on his first forecheck - assuming he gets a sweater. You can also see it when guys come out from the locker room.
I think he will get a sweater for one he is a veteran and for what he shown last years playoffs.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It’s about showing some life and some legs out on the ice. DSP helps with the former, not with the latter.

Play crisp, move the puck with purpose, get superior goaltending, and pot a goal or two more than the opposition. Rinse. Repeat.

That’s how you go on a run.

The Caps could pull it together in time but there are more signs that they won’t than signs that they will.

But guess what? That’s why they play the games.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
It’s about showing some life and some legs out on the ice. DSP helps with the former, not with the latter.

Play crisp, move the puck with purpose, get superior goaltending, and pot a goal or two more than the opposition. Rinse. Repeat.

That’s how you go on a run.

The Caps could pull it together in time but there are more signs that they won’t than signs that they will.

But guess what? That’s why they play the games.
This was certainly not what occurred in last nights contest other than getting superior goaltending. I hope someone in the Caps front office reads your posts and they work on that by tomorrow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad