M. Savard, K. Nilsson, Janney, Yashin, Spezza, Larouche, Gomez, Allison

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Pierre "The Fire Starter" Larouche was the youngest to ever score 50 goals in a season and also was the first NHLer to score 50 goal seasons with two different franchises (in Pittsburgh 1976-77, Larouche hit the 53-goal mark while centring Rick Kehoe and Vic Hadfield; in Montreal he centered Guy Lafleur and Steve Shutt and registered 50 goals). He scored 20+ goals for ten seasons, thrice top ten in goals, twice a Stanley Cup champion in Montreal, an all star gamer in both Pittsburgh and New York. The Calder trophy runner-up had back in juniors scored 251 points to set a QMJHL league record that lasted until Mario Lemieux arrived a decade later. Larouche would become the New York Rangers 94th best all-time in the 100 Rangers Greats book and 85th in the Habs Heroes book.

LarouchePierre002.jpg

HHOF said:
In terms of pure offensive talent, centre Pierre Larouche had few peers. He was at his best when allowed to rag the puck or use his quick release around the net.

100 Rangers Greats said:
Skill and charisma made ''Lucky Pierre'' a fan favourite everywhere he played, and New York was no exception.

His nickname was misleading since much of the success Larouche enjoyed as a goal scorer came not from luck, but from stealth and cunning. At his most dangerous when drifting unnoticed through the offensive zone, Larouche would emerge from a cluster of players at the goaltenders's doorstep, poised to convert a pass for an effortless tap-in goal.

Our History said:
Very few people in the history of hockey were as proficient at finding the back of the net as Pierre Larouche.

Fast on his skates and an excellent stickhandler, Larouche was able to hold the puck for as long as he wanted to, threading his way through traffic until he used his quick release to baffle goaltenders around the NHL. When the curtain closed on 1975-76, Larouche had scored 53 times en route to a team-best 111-point season to finish fifth in the NHL.

The knocks on him:

But Larouche was somewhat indisciplined in his early years - there was occasional suspensions for lateness to practice and missing curfew - and he struggle to find consistency. It was a stigma that he carried with him from city to city.

'' Asking Larouche to dig in the corners is like asking Picasso to paint a garage.'' - Herb Brooks

- ''Tubby was a card - so loose. And he was so talented. He played the game so well that you kind of shock your head sometimes at some of the stuff he could do with the puck. He was a great guy and it was fun to play with him.'' - Kelly Kisio

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
OK, but you cant deny that Yashin is clearly most talented player from this group, Spezza was more touted prospect (I remember an article about him when he was 15 years old, he was compared to Gretzky), but after all Yashin had more in him.
Yashin is also the only one player who was considered at least as one of the absolute elite players during his short peak, altough both have equal point finishes (both were 6. once). Comparing to Spezza who is considered (similar to Savard) only as one of the best centers and both of them couldnt even make it to Canada roster on best-on-best tournaments, that says something for sure.
On the other hand, I cant deny that especially Spezza is on a good way to end as a clearly best player. He is only 26 (EDIT: 28, I wrote it from top of my head) and enters into his prime. Yashin was almost done at that time and Savard had only his first PPG season, obviously it was injury-shortened season.

Allison was a PPG player (dont forget during what kind of era) and offensively he was on par with anybody from the upper group, if not the best. He has a bad reputation, that's all. I cant put Janney or Gomez over him, I would like to hear arguments for that (for sure there are some), but this is my firm belief.

I would say that Nilsson is clearly the most talented player out of that bunch, Gretzky has also said is several interviews that Nilsson was the most talented player he's ever seen. Such much talent, and no heart (probably too lazy) what a waste :shakehead

5:05 into this clip.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I would say that Nilsson is clearly the most talented player out of that bunch, Gretzky has also said is several interviews that Nilsson was the most talented player he's ever seen. Such much talent, and no heart (probably too lazy) what a waste :shakehead

5:05 into this clip.

As I have stated in my first post above, I didnt follow NHL during eighties, so I am not gonna judge Nilsson and Larouche. I agree he was probably the most talented player, but I didnt see it directly.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
All of those players are flawed. Allison is probably the guy I'd have the least appreciation for due to his decidedly sub-par skating.

allison is probably the one least likely to be maintain his level of play across eras, due to his skating. but then gomez was never a star anyway, and neither really was janney.

but i think one often forgets that allison could definitely play in today's NHL. he wouldn't be a top five scorer like he was at his peak, but he'd put up 70 points. i mean, if kyle wellwood can play on a contender in the third round of the playoffs, and if robbie schremp is still in the league, allison would get the chance to perform his magic somewhere.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I agree. Allison barely skated but he put togheter 90+ points. He had some extraordinary skills for sure. You know, Robitaille and Esposito werent any figure skaters either.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Would disagree here.

His best season (by a mile) came immediately after the lockout and he followed that season up with 3 more seasons that were essentially carbon copies of his years before the lockout.

I don't disagree that he's lost some of his quickness, but to me it's much more of a general aging thing (as happens for all players) as he passed 30 rather than specific to an injury.

As for the players - Larouche is easily the worst. Played wing as opposed to center, was awful defensively as opposed to most of these guys who were somewhat serviceable, and when you adjust his numbers they really aren't great outside of the one year early in his career.

Yashin was easily the best all-around player in this group at his best. Wasn't a Hart finalist by accident and was one of the best centers in the game for a few years. Unfortunately his holdouts completely tarnish his career. That said, when he was signed and playing he seemed to be well liked by his teammates and it wasn't an issue.

Agree about Gomez. He was a one-man trap breaker with his speed for several years after the lockout. His speed was by far his biggest asset, and it's no surprise he droppe off as he got older.

His career year was a product of 1) insane chemistry with Gionta, who could stand in front of the bet untouched in 2005-06 with the crackdown
2) a shooting percentage much higher than any other year of his career (Gomez's shot is terrible, but this year only, he kept scoring).

Savard, Spezza, and Allison were better all-round offensive players than Gomez, though none had his trap-breaking speed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->