Rielly or Svechnikov in a keeper league

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The one that plays with Matthews and Tavares and Marner and Kadri and Marleau

Terrible strategy for long term success in a keeper league fantasy. You always take the younger player and the player that doesnt rely on his situation to perform at their maximal capabilities.

Rielly's career high is 52 points while he has roughly averaged 35 points per season over his first 5 seasons.

Svechnikov likely averages 70 points a season over his first 10 seasons he is also 6 years younger. This is a no brainer. Unless you are going for it this season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is going to be skewed because of the Leafs (and Rielly’s) hot start, but you have to go with the one you think will consistently put up more points and perform better in your other categories. And Rielly doesn’t do anything but get secondary assists on the PP so...

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It really depends on who else you have for me. If you already have a bunch of young wingers, then keep Rielly. If you don't, then Svechnikov. I think that Svechnikov will be the better fantasy player going forward but if you have a bunch of wingers, you can't play them all at once.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I always prefer high end forwards over defenceman in keepers leagues (especially when there is a 6 year age gap) so Svechnikov for me.
This is prettymuch where I am with keeper leagues. Forwards drafted in the top 3 are the guys you can usually build teams around in keeper leagues.

Reilly is undoubtedly going to be the better choice right now, but as soon as next season I can see Andrei putting up 70+ point type seasons as he and Necas adapt to the NHL game.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I always prefer high end forwards over defenceman in keepers leagues (especially when there is a 6 year age gap) so Svechnikov for me.
This.

Defensemen at the top are generally overrated by the owners that take them. I prefer using top-fours, bottom-six defensemen who have some offensive potential or get power play time. My forwards are far more important to my roster construction. It's helped me win quite a few times over the years.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I find good fantasy forwards a lot easier to find than defensemen. There are always new forwards coming through and exploding offensively.

Its a numbers game. Way more forwards in the NHL than dmen.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is going to be skewed because of the Leafs (and Rielly’s) hot start, but you have to go with the one you think will consistently put up more points and perform better in your other categories. And Rielly doesn’t do anything but get secondary assists on the PP so...
3 of his 6 pp points this year are primary. He'll get secondary assists when he passes it to his right for Marner to QB the play, and Primary when he passes it for Matthews to shoot it on the left. Last year, he didn't get too many primary points mainly because neither Marner or Bozak were elite shots from the half-wall spots they occupied. The two primary scorers were JVR or Kadri who for a guy in his positions usually means getting a deflected shot as the were the net front and net crasher in a 1-3-1 PP construct. Also, while I agree secondary assists are less valuable, they generally are worth as much as a primary assist in fantasy hockey.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Depends on a lot of things.

1) Is the forward spot positional (C/LW/RW) or just F?
2) Is scoring standard, 1G/1A?
3) How many keepers do you get per year, do you have a farm system, what did the defensive depth look like this past draft?

Most likely the answer will be Svech based on age, higher potential etc. However, if you already have a good team with good forward depth (farm system?), I have found it to be invaluable to have a top 15 fantasy defenseman and Rielly definitely qualifies as that just considering his usage on that PP and the fact the Leafs don't really have someone who looks to be better than him in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad