M-A Pouliot VS A. Kostitsyn VS O'Sullivan

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
:biglaugh: it's always funny when people post this.

Well, O'Sullivan right now is in the NHL so i'll give him that.

But there is no doubt that Kostitsyn has more offensive potential imo.

Honestly, O'Sullivan should be in the AHL...if the Habs were as far out of the playoff pic as the Kings, Kostitsyn would probably be in the NHL, too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I always get a kick out of threads like these. Especially when it's a Hab prospect involved. Usually the first post with anything bad towards whatever Hab prospect and out come the Hab fans to dispell the non believers. Some get so offended over meaningless comments. Who cares who's "bettter". What' the point? Most players will have highs and lows, peaks and valleys throughout their career. We are talking about prospects, it's a on going development/progression that sometimes goes foward and sometimes goes backward.

HF is a great place to get opinions on prospects until you hit the posts, My prospect is the better prospect. No I think My prospect is clearly the better one, look stats to show how right I am! :teach: It just adds to so much color to the boards, imo, although to be honest the most fun is when there's a Hab and a Leaf prospect involved, then you really get some interesting lessons on where the youth of today is headed. :soap: :pullhair:

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
I always get a kick out of threads like these. Especially when it's a Hab prospect involved. Usually the first post with anything bad towards whatever Hab prospect and out come the Hab fans to dispell the non believers. Some get so offended over meaningless comments. Who cares who's "bettter". What' the point? Most players will have highs and lows, peaks and valleys throughout their career. We are talking about prospects, it's a on going development/progression that sometimes goes foward and sometimes goes backward.

HF is a great place to get opinions on prospects until you hit the posts, My prospect is the better prospect. No I think My prospect is clearly the better one, look stats to show how right I am! :teach: It just adds to so much color to the boards, imo, although to be honest the most fun is when there's a Hab and a Leaf prospect involved, then you really get some interesting lessons on where the youth of today is headed. :soap: :pullhair:

lol Pogge and Price. You know what is interesting is that Gainey said that Halak is their top prospect, not sure if he meant Hamilton only.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
lol Pogge and Price. You know what is interesting is that Gainey said that Halak is their top prospect, not sure if he meant Hamilton only.

When did he say that?

I remember him saying that "we called up a pretty good goalie prospect" but when did he say Halak was our top prospect?

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
On sportsnet he said while they interviewed him "We just recalled Halak who is our top prospect (down there -- not sure if he said down there or in general) and the top goalie prospect"

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
I'll be the homer fan and mention Pouliot , he's been excellent since his recall, with 4pts (2+2=4) in 6 games, +4, averaging ~14 and a half minutes per game.

I don't know where he ranks in the thread, but he's certainly performed since recall from WBS.

deano

Apr 13, 2005
Right, Brown having one goal and six assists in the past 22 games while playing on the top line is no reason for concern of his development. I think your thoughts are clouded due to the fact that he's on the Kings. I think there is a reason why Brown, who was the second ranked North American prospect by the CSB dropped as far as he did. Scouts questions his hockey sense and looks like they were right on the money with that assessment.

Every year his point production has gone up due to his increased role and playing time, but he is being FORCED into a role in which he appears to be out of place. I don't see how his skills are improving. Remember, last season he was shuffled around but was mainly used with Jeremy Roenick or Michael Cammalleri throughout the season. This year he has been used on the top two lines, mostly with Kopitar, and he currently had the exact same amount of points as he did last season with three less goals scored. He is also a -19 this season, second worst on the team and worst among all Kings forwards. You call that progress?

He does have what it takes to be an NHL player, but I think he will just be a third line checker who can fill in on the second line if necessary. I'd like to see him become more aggressive in the offensive zone in terms of his forechecking as well as his positioning. He needs to create scoring opportunities for his teammates by giving them more room in the offensive zone.

Dustin Brown is still a work in progress and there is a lot of progression that needs to be done next season. I'll give him a pass this season since he is still learning, but I worry that he may soon be hitting the wall. We shall see.

I am thankful that Hugh Jessiman and Andrei Kostitsyn were selected right before Brown; at least the Kings drafted a player who can play in the NHL, even if he is only a checker.

Fair enough, I will agree that Brown is being misused on the first line, but he was really projected to be a second line winger at best. He's positioned to ride between the second and third line in your estimation. Not bad for a kid that is still so young. If the Kings can have Brown playing the McCarty/Maltby role on the third line over the next few years, then I think the Kings win on developing a servicable and intangible prospect.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I'll be the homer fan and mention Pouliot , he's been excellent since his recall, with 4pts (2+2=4) in 6 games, +4, averaging ~14 and a half minutes per game.

I don't know where he ranks in the thread, but he's certainly performed since recall from WBS.

I agree he's looked good. Frankly I've not seen enough of the other two to compare any of them.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I am thankful that Hugh Jessiman and Andrei Kostitsyn were selected right before Brown; at least the Kings drafted a player who can play in the NHL, even if he is only a checker.

With a good post like that, why did you feel the need to bash 2 other prospects in the process is just too bad.

Especially considering Kostitsyn is going to make you eat your words.

19 years old: 23 pts in 66 games
20 years old: 47 pts in 64 games
21 years old: on pace for: 68 pts in 65 games (took arbitrary number of games for a matter of comparison).

People were waiting for this guy to make an quick impact in the nhl, which was delusional. But this young guy, who just turned 22 years old has made a steady and big improvement each and every single season he have play in the ahl.

No doubt in my mind: he will be a top6 nhl forward.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't believe Kostitsyn to be the type of player that will help teams win games. Look at Samsonov for instance. All the talent in the world, but his heart isn't into it. Kostitsyn may be a flashy player who can skate like the wind and dangle with the best of 'em, but there have been many players like that who constantly underachieve (Alex Kovalev being one of 'em).

I'm not too high on those types of players, because there is only one dimension to their game. If they aren't scoring, they aren't contributing. And I would lump Patrick O'Sullivan into that category as well.

Jaydawg

Oct 26, 2006

im a leaf fan and i can't recall ever having a prospect to really get excited about.

GSK*

I don't believe Kostitsyn to be the type of player that will help teams win games. Look at Samsonov for instance. All the talent in the world, but his heart isn't into it. Kostitsyn may be a flashy player who can skate like the wind and dangle with the best of 'em, but there have been many players like that who constantly underachieve (Alex Kovalev being one of 'em).

I'm not too high on those types of players, because there is only one dimension to their game. If they aren't scoring, they aren't contributing. And I would lump Patrick O'Sullivan into that category as well.

Wrong... Sergei Samsonov don't have ANY hockey sense.. Second, he got a pretty weak an inacurate shot, he don't know how to use teamate, when he dangle, he always lose the puck or he make a bad pass to a teamate or to the opponent, due to his lack of hockey sense.

Kostitsyn got a pretty accurate shot, better hockey sense no doubt about it, he is bigger then Samsonov, in fact they are not similar players at all.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
well then i see you never saw Kostytsin this year, we'l keep Kosty thank you very much, the man is simply OWNING the AHL right now, 4th in league with a +24 and finally in the top20 ascoring after a very slow start. O'sullivan is a good offensive forward but does not have Kosty's hands, shot or balance with the puck, he's just faster in his development

Ok so Kostitsyn is owning the AHL. O'Sullivan won ROY and tore up the AHL with 93 points in 73 games last season. He is now in the NHL. He isn't doing as well as some expected but he is only a rookie in the NHL. Kostitsyn is not on pace to match O'Sullivans rookie numbers and Kostitsyn is in his second AHL season. I don't see how Kostitsyn has more offensive potential than O'Sullivan. Ok I won't say that it's not close but a lot of people would take Patty O. :dunno:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Sully still gets the nod from me because of upside, but man is Pouliot making it tough. He's looked really good since his call up. He was one of our better all around forwards last night in Ottawa.

I just really hope MacT keeps him on the line with Torres and Lupul. They seem to work together, even if they don't score, at least they are creating chances.

I can definitely understand why there are rumors of the Pens wanting to pick up Pouliot to reunite with Crosby. But frankly, I don't want to move him. Now that he seems to have caught up to the speed of the NHL, this kid could be a real player.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
If all 3 players reach there full potential Pouliot will never out score either of them, its true, but he may be a better all around player. But its pretty easy to say that O' Sullivan is better due to the fact hes on a team deep into rebuild mode, im sure if Montreal or Edmonton were 29th in the league there young guns would get a lot more exposure aswell.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
<----- see tag

Jeez, how many of you non-King's fans have actually seen OSullivan play? Either you vastly overestimate his ability or Pouliot and Kostitsyn really suck.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
So if i'm reading correctly and your not sarcastic, your saying that O'sullivan is NOT as good as some people think he is?

That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Yea, he's a rookie. Yea, he's only 21. He has not shown anything of promise that leads me to believe his future will get any better with regards to his career as an NHL player. Heck, Pavel Rosa showed more than OSullivan...

Trevor Lewis better turn out to be a solid pro or we got hosed in that Demitra trade.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Yea, he's a rookie. Yea, he's only 21. He has not shown anything of promise that leads me to believe his future will get any better with regards to his career as an NHL player. Heck, Pavel Rosa showed more than OSullivan...

Trevor Lewis better turn out to be a solid pro or we got hosed in that Demitra trade.

Really? Cool, what do you want for Sully? I wouldn't mind putting him with Schremp and see if these old buddies can spark each other.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Really? Cool, what do you want for Sully? I wouldn't mind putting him with Schremp and see if these old buddies can spark each other.

If it were up to me...

How about a corn dog and a Molson? I dunno though, seems like I'm still getting the better end of that deal.

Sully, if you read this: WAKE THE F UP YOU SCRUB! THE PUCK DOES NOT MAGICALLY COME TO YOUR STICK LIKE FLIES ON ****...YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO MOVE YOUR FEET. YOU CANNOT SCORE FROM WHEREVER YOU CHOOSE TOO SO STOP FIRING THE PUCK ONCE YOU GET IT, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU MAY BE ON THE ICE AT THE TIME. TRY PASSING IT TO AN OPEN TEAMMATE RATHER ATTEMPTING TO SHOOT IT THROUGH 2 DEFENSEMAN AND A GOALIE. EVER BEEN IN THE CORNERS? CHECK IT OUT SOMETIME, I HEARD COACHES APPRECIATE WHEN YOU ACTUALLY TRY TO DIG A PUCK OUT. BTW, DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOUR OWN GOALIE LOOKS LIKE? *** SCRUB!

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
its way to early to give up on sully, i don't know if he can transfer his ahl numbers to the nhl but i think he will be a solid contributer in time. i see him as an eventual 20-30 goal 2cd liner....which isn't bad. the kings probably will be little better next year then they are this year. sully doesn't need to worry about pressure for awhile still. i admit that after seeing his numbers last year i thought he would be competing for the calder this season. but maybe i expected to much from the young kid. at least we have kopitar to build around. be nice to see o'sullivan as a part of the kings future with him.

Last edited:

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
<----- see tag

Jeez, how many of you non-King's fans have actually seen OSullivan play? Either you vastly overestimate his ability or Pouliot and Kostitsyn really suck.

ZOMG!!11!1! O'Sullivan has only scored 5 points in 20 games. He is a bust!!! :shakehead

Smaller players take longer to adapt to the size and speed of the NHL. You do not judge a player from watching 20 games. You have to be patient with prospects. Not every prospect will be like Kopitar or Stastny. It's all about potential right now since none of these prospects have really done much in the NHL yet. O'Sulllivan has put up better numbers and he has more potential than the other two guys. That is why people pick him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad