M-A Pouliot VS A. Kostitsyn VS O'Sullivan

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
All three are 21...all three are projected to be Top 6 forwards...all three have offensive potential...

Which one would you take first?

I'm a huge fan of all three (especially Pouliot, so it's a toss-up...).

Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Edmonton)
Andrei Kostitsyn (Montreal)
Patrick O'Sullivan (L.A.)

(My order...maybe it's the other way around!?!:p:).

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I think most people here would agree that O'Sullivan has far more offensive potential than the other two combined.

Yeah, that's what I thought (my order was wrong!!;)).

It probably should be:
1.Patrick O'Sullivan (from Minnesota to LA)
2. A. Kostitsyn / M-A Pouliot

Kosts has lots of offensive potential, too, but O'Sullivan might showcase it sooner like he is right now with 2 goals in 2 most recent games...(+ L.A. should have space for him in the lineup...Montreal is filled with wingers right now...). I'm surprised that Pouliot is not already a regular in Edmonton (most probably for next season, or soon if there's an injury & if they make the playoffs).

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

It probably should be:

Kosts has lots of offensive potential, too, but O'Sullivan might showcase it sooner, IMO...(+ L.A. should have space for him in the lineup...Montreal is filled with wingers right now...). I'm surprised that Pouliot is not already a regular in Edmonton (most probably for next season, or soon if there's an injury & if they make the playoffs).

O'Sullivan was called up last week, and has registered two goals in two games.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

It probably should be:

Kosts has lots of offensive potential, too, but O'Sullivan might showcase it sooner, IMO...(+ L.A. should have space for him in the lineup...Montreal is filled with wingers right now...). I'm surprised that Pouliot is not already a regular in Edmonton (most probably for next season, or soon if there's an injury & if they make the playoffs).

Yeah MAP is a bit of an enigma right now for us. He goes to the A, takes a few days to get his game going, and then tears it apart. And he looks just dominant during those periods (ie. always a star, multi point games, and coaches raving about him)

Then he gets called up and doesn't do anything here. I guess MacT has only put him on the 4th line with very limited PP and poor linemates. But I do think he needs another step to bring his forechecking game in the NHL.

I hope he gets another chance this season, but if not, as long as he doesn't get some other sickness/injury in the summer(mono last one, stomach tear the one before), maybe he can have a full summer to work out and get ready for TC next Sept. If he can get that step he could walk right into our top 6 next year.

Back on topic :D
To rank I would say

O' Sully
Kost
MAP

With the disclaimer that MAP could step ahead of Kost if he can bring his AHL game to the NHL.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Yeah MAP is a bit of an enigma right now for us. He goes to the A, takes a few days to get his game going, and then tears it apart. And he looks just dominant during those periods (ie. always a star, multi point games, and coaches raving about him)

Then he gets called up and doesn't do anything here. I guess MacT has only put him on the 4th line with very limited PP and poor linemates. But I do think he needs another step to bring his forechecking game in the NHL.

I hope he gets another chance this season, but if not, as long as he doesn't get some other sickness/injury in the summer(mono last one, stomach tear the one before), maybe he can have a full summer to work out and get ready for TC next Sept. If he can get that step he could walk right into our top 6 next year.

Back on topic :D
To rank I would say

O' Sully
Kost
MAP

With the disclaimer that MAP could step ahead of Kost if he can bring his AHL game to the NHL.

Fair enough:)

I've been following all three (most of the time!), and I hope to see all three become regular NHL players...(I like their styles). O'Sully should have been chosen in the 1st Round, IMO...

They all have the potential to become regular NHLers, it's just a matter of time (next year, for sure?).

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Speaking of O'Sullivan, its pretty sad the Kings old management and scouting team passed on him a whopping 4 times in the 2003 draft. Atleast Dean Lombardi corrected that mistake, unfortunately it cost us our best forward.

Nashville also passed on him four times, although they drafted two huge studs in Weber and Suter, so I don't think they are to pissed.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I think most people here would agree that O'Sullivan has far more offensive potential than the other two combined.
I disagree...

People around here might not like Kostitsyn, but is offensive potential is quite high, and might even be higher than O'Sullivan. It all depends on the development of Kost over the next two year. Pouliot as the least potential of the three, and right now, O'Sullivan as to be on the top of the list.

O'Sullivan
Kostitsyn
Pouliot

In the future, only Kostitsyn could reach the top because I see Pouliot as the least good of the three. Now, I know some of you will call me a homer because I believe in Kostitsyn, but don't forget that he's having a hell of a season in Hamilton, which gave him a pass to the AHL all star game.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

Sooo... if O'Sullivan is a potential 40 goal scorer, does that mean Kostitsyn and Pouliot combined will only get about 20, in order for O'Sullivan to have far more potential? :dunno:

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
from what I have seen, The list goes.

1. O'Sullivan

2. Pouliot

3. Kostitsyn

I have had the oppertunity to be able to compare Kostitsyn and Pouliot many times in the same game, during Pouliot's days in Hamilton. Pouliot was by far more impressive then Kostitsyn. The only player I felt that was close was JF Jacques. From what I have seen this year in Kostitsyn is that he has improved, however I still don't see him being nearly as good in the NHL as Pouliot will be. Pouliot has the vision and hockey sense that you cannot teach. Thats what differs him from Kostitsyn. Kostitsyn may have slightly better physical intangibles, but I am quite certain that Pouliot will become the more efficient NHLer. O'Sullivan on the other hand has unreal offensive upside and I believe he will be a solid 1st liner.

Tony_S*

from what I have seen, The list goes.

1. O'Sullivan

2. Pouliot

3. Kostitsyn

I have had the oppertunity to be able to compare Kostitsyn and Pouliot many times in the same game, during Pouliot's days in Hamilton. Pouliot was by far more impressive then Kostitsyn. The only player I felt that was close was JF Jacques. From what I have seen this year in Kostitsyn is that he has improved, however I still don't see him being nearly as good in the NHL as Pouliot will be. Pouliot has the vision and hockey sense that you cannot teach. Thats what differs him from Kostitsyn. Kostitsyn may have slightly better physical intangibles, but I am quite certain that Pouliot will become the more efficient NHLer. O'Sullivan on the other hand has unreal offensive upside and I believe he will be a solid 1st liner.
Thanks, you saved me the typing... ;)

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
I dunno how many people outside of LA fans have gotten to see OSullivan, but I have my doubts about him.

Yes, he's only 21. Yes, he's playing in his first year. But, there have already been questions about his desire and work ethic. He was sent down to Manchester to work on these things. He's scored two goals in two games since returning, but he was pretty much invisible for the remainder of those games.

He has a great shot, no doubt about that. His passing is...well, I actually couldn't comment on it cause I've yet to see him actually pass the friggin puck. He will shoot from ANYWHERE. Good or bad, I don't know...

He's not exactly a gritty or fast player. He gets beaten down low alot which makes it a little frustrating considering how the Kings like to cycle the puck down low.

My whole point is that when you see a rookie, many times you gather a feeling of whether or not they have the 'juice'. Regardless of production, their sense of the game or their desire shines through. I get none of that with OSullivan.

I'm not saying he's this or that, but rather simply from what I've seen thus far... he will NOT be the player most on here seem to think he will be. So for those other two players to be ranked below him, says more about them than it does about Sully... imo.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Funny thing about your description of O'Sullivan seems fitting for describing Dustin Brown. He seems to lack any hockey sense and doesn't really stand out for doing anything but hitting. Sometimes it is frustrating watching so much potential doing so little. I think O'Sullivan is slowly 'getting it' while Brown really hasn't developed or improved as much as I'd like to see.

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Speaking of O'Sullivan, its pretty sad the Kings old management and scouting team passed on him a whopping 4 times in the 2003 draft. Atleast Dean Lombardi corrected that mistake, unfortunately it cost us our best forward.

Nashville also passed on him four times, although they drafted two huge studs in Weber and Suter, so I don't think they are to pissed.

A lot of people passed on Sully because of issues beyond his control...but, I agree...the Kings should've picked him with one of their two late 1sts.

As for Demitra, I'm sure DL did, as he said, deliberate heavily before deciding to move Pavol. However, after several rounds of questions about the Demitra trade, DL indicated that he was willing to trade PD because his character was not optimal for Lombardi's vision of the team.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Funny thing about your description of O'Sullivan seems fitting for describing Dustin Brown. He seems to lack any hockey sense and doesn't really stand out for doing anything but hitting. Sometimes it is frustrating watching so much potential doing so little. I think O'Sullivan is slowly 'getting it' while Brown really hasn't developed or improved as much as I'd like to see.

I agree, but imo the difference with DB is that he brings SOMETHING to the game. He may not be the scorer everyone had hoped, but he is definitely servicable and there is a place for that type of player on any team in the league.

Don't get me wrong as I'm not throwing the book out on Sully yet, but just from what I've seen up to this point... I'm not holding my breath.

I like DB. I like his energy. Yes he can be frustrating at times in terms of his offensive production, but I still believe he has a place on this team.

...and no, I don't have over zealous man-love for Brown contrary to what my title reads. I just haven't changed it yet. My man-feelings are for mr. Kopitar only. My heart is that fickle.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Man-love for Kopitar is understandable. I think Brown needs a good kick in the butt to get him going. His effort isn't always there, like we saw (or didn't see) with tonights performance. He was barely noticeable.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Man-love for Kopitar is understandable. I think Brown needs a good kick in the butt to get him going. His effort isn't always there, like we saw (or didn't see) with tonights performance. He was barely noticeable.

and since this is a thread dealing with OSullivan (among others), I'll say that goes ditto for Sully. Though I stand corrected on one thing... I haven't seen him pass and that was prolly a good thing. He tried a few tonight... i'd rather he not pass nemore.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
For me (and I'd like to point out I'm a Habs fan)

Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Edmonton)/Andrei Kostitsyn (Montreal)

O'Sullvan is the best prospect of the bunch for me cause he got the same kind of ceiling KOts does with MAP NHL ready status

POuliot is a safe pick to get agood career but I see his ceiling being a bit under the other two while Kotsishin as a great upside, but is far from a sure thing and might end up never reaching that full potential of his... while I see Pouliot like a lot safer bet... but maybe with a little lower ceiling

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
For me (and I'd like to point out I'm a Habs fan)

Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Edmonton)/Andrei Kostitsyn (Montreal)

O'Sullvan is the best prospect of the bunch for me cause he got the same kind of ceiling KOts does with MAP NHL ready status

POuliot is a safe pick to get agood career but I see his ceiling being a bit under the other two while Kotsishin as a great upside, but is far from a sure thing and might end up never reaching that full potential of his... while I see Pouliot like a lot safer bet... but maybe with a little lower ceiling

I'll agree with pretty much everything you wrote...

IMO, Kosts would thrive if he had Koivu as center or a similar center...

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
A lot of people passed on Sully because of issues beyond his control...but, I agree...the Kings should've picked him with one of their two late 1sts.

As for Demitra, I'm sure DL did, as he said, deliberate heavily before deciding to move Pavol. However, after several rounds of questions about the Demitra trade, DL indicated that he was willing to trade PD because his character was not optimal for Lombardi's vision of the team.

Just to add a little FYI, there was a bit about the Wild's draft and that trade on TV earlier in the season, and the indication was that LA wanted either Voloshenko or O'Sullivan. The Wild decided to move O'Sullivan. We'll see if they made the right choice someday... maybe.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
From what I've gathered in this thread...

This should be the order (of who will/should have a better, longer career)
1. O'Sullivan
2. Kostitsyn / M-A Pouliot

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site

I really don't understand your hate of Brown.

You point out ever weakness in his game without even mentioning that most of those problems he has worked on to rectify and that every year he has become a better player.

Seems like you are still holding a grudge against the guy for how he played when he was 18...

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
I'll agree with pretty much everything you wrote...

IMO, Kosts would thrive if he had Koivu as center or a similar center...

Yeap I'd agree that Kots with the right players might just burst out... I'm jusb afraid of the road to get there... but if he struggle getting there he might never get the chance... On the other hand, if he does and succeed doinfg so... hum... OMG :eek:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I would rather have O'Sullivan and Kostitsyn than Pouliot as a prospect.

Pouliot hasn't developed well and didn't show anything in his shot this year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I really don't understand your hate of Brown.

You point out ever weakness in his game without even mentioning that most of those problems he has worked on to rectify and that every year he has become a better player.

Seems like you are still holding a grudge against the guy for how he played when he was 18...

What the hell are you talking? I thought of him as a highly regarded prospect who should be playing like a top six forward. I don't see that. I know when to call a spade a spade. Take off the rose tinted glasses and look at it objectively. He's playing and producing like a grinder. Observe what some of the other 03 first round draft class is accomplishing in the NHL, specifically Ryan Getzlaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad