M-A Fleury sent down to the AHL... what you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
This is interesting on a couple of levels. The Pens clearly didn't want to pay his ridiculous bonuses, but at the same token, I heard he struggled in camp.

Hes a tremendous talent, theres no doubt there. I whatched the Ottawa pre-season game and his only problem is that he is HYPER- agressive, sliding across the crease and over-playing the shooter. Another year in the AHL will do him some good, if he can learn to be patient then he should be a shoo in on next years roster.

What are everyone elses thoughts on the pens goaltending prodigy?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Sebastien Caron is not a better goalie than MA Fleury . I guess they want Thibault to play most of the game and Fleury better off in the AHL playing more games .

Also isin't that guy Chiodo around ? I've read lot of good comments about him on HFB .

Pure Rock Fury*

I had read that he didn't even play too well in the A last year and actually lost the starting job towards the end of the season.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I am not one bit surprised by this. His last outing V Ottawa was less than inspiring. Thibault will play 55 games. Caron will have to be good in his starts or Fleury comes back up provided he has been very good at the AHL level.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its not a big deal and what most Pens fans want. As skilled as he is, his game is still flawed. Its better for him and the Penguins in the long run if he plays 60-65 games this year in the "A" rather than 20-25 games in the NHL. Even though he's lost a year in developement he's still on target to be a great goalie.

Hinger

Feb 19, 2005
While it may turn out to be in the best interests of all parties concerned that he spend this year in the AHL I need to clarify the misconception that "he struggled in camp this year." That could be no further from the truth. I have covered his pre-season training camp and, as a matter of fact (definately my perception), he WAS the BEST goalie (including T-BO).

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
money move so they dont have to pay fleury an extra like 3 million if he plays in over like 25 games

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
Mackattack said:
I heard he struggled in camp.

You heard wrong. I actually got to see him play live, and this kid has tremendous skill. Playing in the AHL will let him play without all the spotlight, and get special attention from the new goalie coach, which should allow him to come close to fullfil his potential. Great move by the organization.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fleury was by far the top goaltender through training camp and the preseason, but the issue here is what's going to be best for his development. The Penguins already got burned once by rewarding performance in preseason and you could argue that Fleury regressed as a result.

Simply put, Fleury needs playing time and he'll see lots of it in the AHL.

It's a long season though, and he could find himself in the NHL at some point.

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I knew people would try and look for something that isn't there with this.

It boiled down to this. Having Fleury play 25 games or 55 games this season. Next year he'll backup Thibault, but for now the best thing is playing time.

His last outing V Ottawa was less than inspiring.

He made 35 saves.

Vic Rattlehead*

I was looking forward to seeing all three of Lehtonen, Toivonen, and Fleury playing in the NHL this year. When the season starts, Lehtonen might be the only one with an NHL job (although Toivonen probably won the backup job with his performance against MTL this week)

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
For those who had realistic expectations, Fleury is probably developing at a reasonable pace.

Ideally, he would have spent that first year after getting drafted with Cape Breton. Last year he could have started his professional career, continue it with WBS this season, and finally be the backup for Pittsburgh next season before taking the starting job in '06-'07. So in his fifth year after being drafted, he would be ready to be the starter-- that's probably a reasonable timeframe for talented goalies that aren't superhuman (Lehtonen).

Instead, that first year where Fleury bounced around from team to team was kind of a waste, largely due to bad management in Pittsburgh. But I'd say things are still on track for Fleury. Let him start this season in WBS (which is undoubtedly the right move), be the backup next season, and then assume the starting job in '06-'07.

Honestly, I don't think we should have expected Fleury to be all that further ahead in his development at this time. We were just impatient as fans, just as Penguins management was.

I think we should really worry about Fleury if he doesn't improve upon from last season.

Roger's Pancreas*

I really expected this kid to come up and atleast win the backup job this year. I guess it wasn't meant to be for whatever reason there is. Certainly very disapointing.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Panasonic Youth said:
I really expected this kid to come up and atleast win the backup job this year. I guess it wasn't meant to be for whatever reason there is. Certainly very disapointing.
Did you not read this thread?

AgentNaslund*

its a good thing for him to play 60 games rather then play 20 games in the NHL. Hes a young man, he has get better and get stronger. Just look what Dumb New York Rangers did to Blackburn. Brought him into the leauge way too early, and now hes screwed for life. F U Glen Sather. You jack ***.

Fleury is what? 21? Hes hella young, and will make the team next year, along with Malkin. They are gonna break them in together the same year probably.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Furthermore, its not time to push the panic button yet, but this is a crucial year for MAF in the AHL. If he doesn't produce, then one might start thinking of lableling him as a "bust".

I also wouldnt rule out Fleury getting called up 1/2 through the year and get some playing time... just as long as he doesn't get past the 25 game mark.

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
I think this probably happened because Mario only has room at his house for one franchise player, well other than himself of course, so Fleury's the odd man out when Crosby came to town. :biglaugh:

Deleted member 3032

I don't really consider this surprising. I fully expected this (and not because I think he sucks). He's only 20 or 21. He's very young for a goalie, and they're better off letting him get lots of playing time and develop his game in the AHL. It's a bit harder for a young goalie to develop their game in the NHL than the AHL. Confidence is HUGE for goalies.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I think Fleury was overhyped the year he was drafted, clearly he's not the best player in that draft.

Having said that I still think he has the potential to be a star goalie someday (Not Brodeur-like) but an overall star, this move makes a lot of sense, the Pens know that Thibault will get most of the games, instead of Fleury getting a small amount of games why not get a chunk of games under his belt in the AHL? that would be better for his development.

I say next year Fleury comes up and splits half of the time with Thibault (If he's signed with them still), and from then on he'll take over, kind of like what Atlanta will do this year, I doubt Lehtnonen will play most of the games, I think the idea in Atlanta now is let's split the games between him and Dunham and see how it goes, but by next year I expect Lehtonen to be the top man for the job easily.

Claypool_*

Birko19 said:
I think Fleury was overhyped the year he was drafted, clearly he's not the best player in that draft.

I love Hockeys Future :biglaugh:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Claypool said:
I love Hockeys Future :biglaugh:

He was overhyped, I'm not making this up, don't get me wrong the kid is a very talented goalie and has a great potential but the only time where he shinned and was above other players from the 03 draft was during the WJC, tha's what boosted his stock, ever since then guys like Zherdev, Staal, Phaneuf, and so on have passed him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->