M.A. Fleury Loaned to Canada for WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
TSN has learned that Marc-Andre will be loaned to the Canadian Juniors. Huge addition (obviously), and the right choice by the Pens considering the season they're having (and, I believe, for his overall development).
Now if only we could get Nash, Staal & Horton... :p

Go to tsn.ca for the details.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Wingboy2999 said:
Very smart move by Pittsburgh. Now even if he gets demolished in the NHL, he has something good to draw from. Looks like Canada won the Gold.
The tournament hasnt even started yet. Canada hasn't won anything. Our goaltending is better now but our forwards are our weakness.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
This is absolutely massive for Canada, just massive.

In this tournament we look at some of the teams and the more marquee names in the goaltending prospect world have left this year. No longer do we have Lehtonen manning the pipes for Finland or Medvedev for Russia. The goaltending was looking to be pretty equal from all accounts for the tournament, but now Canada has earned a huge step above everyone else IMO.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
canucksfan said:
The tournament hasnt even started yet. Canada hasn't won anything. Our goaltending is better now but our forwards are our weakness.

I agree we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, however I feel pretty good about our forwards. With the likes of Stewart, Carter, Fehr, Perry, Tambellini, Crosby etc. I think we've got an excellent blend of size and skill. We'd obviously be helped if others could be loaned to us by NHL clubs, but I wouldn't discount the guys we've got to choose from.
The key is our defense, which looks to be imposing.
With Fleury between the pipes, our stock just received a serious boost.

Laurence Heinen

Jan 31, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Fleury's still on the bench for the Flames-Penguins game in Calgary tonight, but apparently Craig Patrick is going to talk to the media in regards to the topic in between periods.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Brock said:
This is absolutely massive for Canada, just massive.

In this tournament we look at some of the teams and the more marquee names in the goaltending prospect world have left this year. No longer do we have Lehtonen manning the pipes for Finland or Medvedev for Russia. The goaltending was looking to be pretty equal from all accounts for the tournament, but now Canada has earned a huge step above everyone else IMO.

Agreed. You look at the other teams, and a Jimmy Howard/Montoya tandem, or a Barulin doesn't seem as imposing. Gives Canada a leg up for sure.

* As a side note, one reason I'm glad Fleury was released is now I won't have to listen to a bunch of Canadians yelly CONSPIRICY! since Craig Patrick is so close to USA Hockey.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
derbyfan said:
TSN has learned that Marc-Andre will be loaned to the Canadian Juniors. Huge addition (obviously), and the right choice by the Pens considering the season they're having (and, I believe, for his overall development).
Now if only we could get Nash, Staal & Horton... :p

Go to tsn.ca for the details.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

and Pens for there generosity ......are now the Favourites for First pick next year, barring a Lottery loss... and we know what that could mean..

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
canucksfan said:
I agree. The team in front of Fleury, specifically the blueline corps, is much weaker than it was a year ago.

DR. Holiday

Jacobv2 said:
I agree. The team in front of Fleury, specifically the blueline corps, is much weaker than it was a year ago.

Wow they are actually much stronger on the blueline imho. Can you explain why they are weaker?
I also think the forwards will be as good as last year as often players were misused. I was at the tourny and have to say I thought it was the weakest group of players Canada had put out in years...... BUT it was a very solid team and that is why they managed to get to the gold medal game. They played well as a team.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think there was more experience back there, with Coliacovo and Eminger having had cups of coffee in the NHL.

thestonedkoala

Is anyone else kind of disappointed?

I really wanted to see what Deslaurius, Daigneault, Ward or Harding could do without playing second fiddle to Fleury. I know it's a must win but I really think it's also showcases some of the best talent outside the NHL.

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
thestonedkoala said:
Is anyone else kind of disappointed?

I really wanted to see what Deslaurius, Daigneault, Ward or Harding could do without playing second fiddle to Fleury. I know it's a must win but I really think it's also showcases some of the best talent outside the NHL.

not dissapointed in the least, i want canada to win, don't care about showing off different prospects

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't see why it's good for Fleury's development.
That said good for Canada, that's for sure.

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
I don't see why it's good for Fleury's development.
That said good for Canada, that's for sure.
I think it's more of a confidence thing... having him play well for Canada, on a winning team definately helps his confidence.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And being so good at 18 with the pros must make him feel pretty good about himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad