Lyndon Byers

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Anyone know where I can get the pre draft scouting report on Byers? I remember the Bruins thinking he might develop like Neely but alas.......
there is not much, but.......

PRE-DRAFT AWARDS AND HONORS
Sask. AAA All-Star Second Team: 1980-81 (Notre Dame)
Miscellaneous: Rated in The Hockey News draft preview issue as
No. 13 overall prospect and No. 8 WHL prospect for the 1982 NHL draft. ... Missed part of 1980-81 season with broken right wrist, an injury suffered in April 1981. ... Traded by Saskatoon (WHL) to Regina in exchange for Todd Strueby in September 1981. ... Attended Athol Murray College of Notre Dame in Wilcox, Saskatchewan, before entering major junior hockey. ... Tore knee ligaments playing rugby in weeks before 1982 draft, although the injury was unknown to scouts.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
lol....I was just thinking the same thing.

Interesting note though: at this point LB is the last Bruin to score a goal in the Stanley Cup Finals....

....God. I hope that little fact changes soon, lol

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Was it Byers or Jay Caufield who wore that neckbrace-looking thing?

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
The only "neckbrace-looking thing" I remember is Joey Mullen's:

01.mullen.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is a draft review from the June 10, 1982 edition of The Boston Globe in an article about Gord Kluzak:

The Bruins' second-round picks were defenseman Brian Curran, another hulk,from the Portland Winter Hawks, and right winger Lyndon Byers from the Regina Pats. Oddly, all three picks are represented by Billy Watters and all three were teammates on the Notre Dame College (private school in Wilcox, Saskatchewan) team which won the Canadian national Midget championship in 1980.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
On a related note: LB does sports on a local (wacky) radio show here in Boston. He has often mentioned that growing up in Canada with the name Lyndon made him a good fighter, lol.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyone know where I can get the pre draft scouting report on Byers? I remember the Bruins thinking he might develop like Neely but alas.......

He was a really good prospect coming out of junior - scored 89 points in 58 games his final year in Regina, was selected for Canada's 1984 WJC team, and put up 6 points in 10 games in a callup to Boston in 83-84.

At the time, he wasn't really a 'goon' prospect at all, and averaged a shade over 150 PIM in his 3 years in the WHL.

His skills just never translated to pro for whatever reason. Might have been rushed to the NHL by Boston.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Back in ye olde days (83-84) when NHL clubs could recall players from Junior due to injuries, Byers came up for ten games and accounted himself nicely.

He even had his first fight with Pat Price.

During the next 3 seasons split between Boston and the AHL, he only got into 127 games. It's pretty tough to develop a game beyond toughness when you are injured all the time.

He then seemingly --- either by the organization or by himself, got pigeonholed exclusively into the tough guy role. Fighting was obviously his greatest asset, but he wasn't without skills.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The 1982 NHL draft was known as the "Brian Bellows Sweepstakes" but the Bruins and Harry Sinden viewed Gord Kluzak as a possible Larry Robinson type. Throw in Brad Palmer and his blistering slapshot and voila,Minnesota gets Bellows.

During one of Byers callups and after Neely began to blossom it was said the B's thought that Byers would develop into the type of player Neely was in 86-87. I read that Byers had a serious knee injury prior to the draft (unknown to the B's) and also blamed Mike Milbury for forcing him into a fighter role. What a waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad