Lyle Odelein recovering from coma, paralysis

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Full story is here. It's pretty extensive but here are the cliff notes

At Death's Door: Former NHL star Lyle Odelein is a medical...

In early March, Lyle Odelein was golfing with buddies in Phoenix, maintaining a whirlwind social calendar more than a decade after he’d retired from hockey.

One week later he was in the hospital. Two weeks later he was in a coma, and by the end of the month, he was at death’s door, prompting Laurel to reach out across the hockey world for prayers, even as she struggled to keep Lyle’s dire prognosis private.

“He was on so many machines that I couldn’t even touch his hands,” Laurel Odelein told The Athletic. “He was on every possible form of life support other than his heart, and that was just barely beating.

Odelein’s aortic valve had “basically exploded,” one doctor told The Athletic. On Monday, March 26, it was determined that Odelein’s other organs were beginning to fail, too. His liver was short-circuiting, his kidneys were shutting down.

Even among transplant doctors, who deal with emotionally charged, life-saving surgeries every day, the plan for Odelein was audacious. His body couldn’t fight much longer, and the plan was struck to do all three transplants — heart valve, then liver, then kidney — hours apart, but as part of one long surgery.

the percentage chance given to Laurel Odelein was chilling: “Five percent,” she said before sniffing back a tear. “Five.”

But what happened next — or what didn’t happen — might have been the most terrifying part of the entire ordeal.

Odelein couldn’t move. He couldn’t speak. Other than the ability to blink, he was paralyzed.

Odelein was diagnosed with critical illness polyneuropathy, a nerve disease in response to severe trauma. Typically, patients with severe paralysis as a result of CIP, like Odelein, rarely make a full recovery.

Odelein moved to a rehab facility in early June and was cleared to return home in early July.
“When we brought him home, his fight was back,” Laurel Odelein said.

By early September, he vowed to Laurel and his physical therapists that he’d be walking on his own by the end of the month.

“If anything, he was pushing the physical therapists,” Ngoc said. ” ‘I’m not ready to quit. Let’s keep going!’ ”
The first week of September he was out of the wheelchair and using a walker. Two weeks later he traded the walker for cane. On Sept. 27, Laurel Odelein began laughing during an interview with The Athletic.

“He forgot his cane when he left the house today,” she said. “So I guess he doesn’t need that anymore.”

Dr. Ngoc and others at Allegheny Medical Center are preparing a case report about Odelein’s surgeries and recovery to be published in a medical journal.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
One of the advantages of being a pro athlete. Glad he's making a recovery.
I don't believe him being an athlete would necessarily be an advantage as they are prone to more health problems later in life. Their bodies take a beating more so then the regular nine to fiver.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't believe him being an athlete would necessarily be an advantage as they are prone to more health problems later in life. Their bodies take a beating more so then the regular nine to fiver.
The ability to persevere mentally and physically. The average person wouldn't have the mindset or ability to meet the physical milestones he's meeting so quickly.

Reactions: amethyst

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Amazing job by the doctors and so glad to hear that he is doing well. That's some seriously scary stuff.

Reactions: Fixxer

Cleets

Dec 16, 2008
Frisco, TX
I met Lyle once while waiting for a flight from Dallas to Toronto. He was going back to Saskatchewan to visit his ailing father. We sat and chatted for over an hour and he is such a genuine down to earth dude.

Even with all the personal stuff he was dealing with about his family, he was so friendly and happy to talk with me. He even secretly picked up my tab!!!!

Sweet guy and hoping he has a full recovery.

Reactions: SourTemplePilot

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Man, hard to hear that about anyone. Glad he was able to be in that 5 percentile.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

Well most people waiting for an organ spend years on the list waiting for just 1. He must have some amazing luck to get 2 or 3 so quickly.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad