LW Zachary L'Heureux - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2021, 27th, NSH)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I was looking at NHL stats and noticed Maxime Comtois leads Anaheim in scoring this year and I've been thinking for some time that there might be some similarities between both. If Comtois can produce this early in his career on an offensive challenged team, I'm sure L'Heureux can do it too (and their long term potential is higher than a 30 pts, 3rd liner in my opinion)

Comtois 16 yrs old stats: 60 pts in 62 games
L'Heureux 16 yrs old stats: 53 pts in 55 games

Comtois 17 yrs old stats: 51 pts in 64 games
L'Heureux 17 yrs old stats: 39 pts in 33 games

They are both players that love the physical game, they are not scared to grind it out, hit and fight. And they can obviously produce offensively too. They also both played for the same Midget AAA team, and both used to play center but probably project as wingers in the NHL. I view them both as being goal scorer power forwards who can also set up plays.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Comtois has had 1 good fight... his entire career. He is not very physical either but is willing to go to tough areas.... He is basically a JVR type.

Don't think it's the best comparison.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I was looking at NHL stats and noticed Maxime Comtois leads Anaheim in scoring this year and I've been thinking for some time that there might be some similarities between both. If Comtois can produce this early in his career on an offensive challenged team, I'm sure L'Heureux can do it too (and their long term potential is higher than a 30 pts, 3rd liner in my opinion)

Comtois 16 yrs old stats: 60 pts in 62 games
L'Heureux 16 yrs old stats: 53 pts in 55 games

Comtois 17 yrs old stats: 51 pts in 64 games
L'Heureux 17 yrs old stats: 39 pts in 33 games

They are both players that love the physical game, they are not scared to grind it out, hit and fight. And they can obviously produce offensively too. They also both played for the same Midget AAA team, and both used to play center but probably project as wingers in the NHL. I view them both as being goal scorer power forwards who can also set up plays.
There is one significant difference between the two, though. L'Heureux has more flash and puck skills. He is more likely to deke a guy -- and succeed -- to create a scoring chance. Comtois relies more on his size and plays a north-south pro-style game. I think that's part of the reason why he's made a quick transition to NHL.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Comtois has had 1 good fight... his entire career. He is not very physical either but is willing to go to tough areas.... He is basically a JVR type.

Don't think it's the best comparison.
L'Heureux is not a great fighter, either. Watch this fight from September 2020. Riley Bezeau is not an experienced fighter, not that big, and is just a year older than L'Heureux.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It was an interesting year for Zachary L’Heureux. Traded last summer from Moncton to Halifax, he delivered on the scoreboard for the Mooseheads. L’Heureux put up 19 goals and 20 assists for 39 points in 33 games. He also put up 47 penalty minutes and was involved in a couple of incidents with controversial hits that led to suspensions. Those combined with a mid-season pause due to Covid-19 led to his season being a bit stop and start with long breaks. Despite that, he continued to produce whenever he was on the ice.

The third overall pick in the 2019 QMJHL Draft, L’Heureux had a solid rookie season with the Moncton Wildcats in 2019-20. He led all QMJHL Rookies in points and was named to the QMJHL All-Rookie Team. L’Heureux scored 20 goals and 33 assists for 53 points in 55 games. He also played for Team Canada Black at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. L’Heureux put up three assists in five tournament games.

In 2018-19 L’Heureux scored two goals and six assists for eight points at the Quebec Gold Cup U-16 Tournament. He led Team Quebec Blue to the gold medal.

2021 NHL Draft #26: Zachary L'Heureux Scouting Report

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Colorado does a lot of scouting in the Atlantic Region, wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
AVs drafted teammate Baron last season and has spent time watching his progress. Zach fills the need on Forward toughness with skills.

Agree this is likely the AVs pick.
i think he absolutely fits the bill for what colorado needs. they lack a lemieux dude who just agitated so much in deep runs. they need to get more bottom 6 talent, period

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
AVs drafted teammate Baron last season and has spent time watching his progress. Zach fills the need on Forward toughness with skills.

Agree this is likely the AVs pick.

Just have to watch out for Carolina one pick before. I think L'Heureaux fits a similar Jamieson Rees vibe they have been scouting for. But Stankoven is a good fit for them there too.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Just have to watch out for Carolina one pick before. I think L'Heureaux fits a similar Jamieson Rees vibe they have been scouting for. But Stankoven is a good fit for them there too.

Unpredictable draft. He could go Top 10 or fall into the 2nd round. Lots of draft options for every team.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nice trade up by Poille. Suspensions may have been a blessing for Nashville if this was the reason why he dropped. Like his passion, like the player.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad