LW Vladimir Tkachev - Moncton Wildcats ( #39 Overall 2013 Import Draft)

AlexanderTheGood

Firstly, is Tkachev coming to North America or not?

Secondly, having watched Tkachev in his 6 games of the Subway Super Series, I have developed some observations. For instance, in Game 2 against the QMJHL it seems like he tried to make a deke move on every play, and I mean quite literally, every play. As one might expect, in Game 1 against the OHL, his ice-time was severely limited--almost to the extent that he was only played on the PP. When he did play in that game he floated around the blueline in his own zone and appeared to be playing so selfishly that his own teammates did not want to pass to him--even when he was open. While Tkachev scored 4 points in 6 games (6-2-2-2), I cannot think of even a single player who played less of a 200-foot game than Tkachev. I mean, hypothetically speaking, I can think of dozens of draft eligible players who could play like Tkachev but do not choose too--and for very good reason. So I cannot help but ask: having watched the Super Series and/or any other samplings of Tkachev, can anybody justify spending anything other than a 7th round pick on this guy?

Seems like a gamble, but could he be the next Alexei Kovalev?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011

Secondly, having watched Tkachev in his 6 games of the Subway Super Series, I have developed some observations. For instance, in Game 2 against the QMJHL it seems like he tried to make a deke move on every play, and I mean quite literally, every play. As one might expect, in Game 1 against the OHL, his ice-time was severely limited--almost to the extent that he was only played on the PP. When he did play in that game he floated around the blueline in his own zone and appeared to be playing so selfishly that his own teammates did not want to pass to him--even when he was open. While Tkachev scored 4 points in 6 games (6-2-2-2), I cannot think of even a single player who played less of a 200-foot game than Tkachev. I mean, hypothetically speaking, I can think of dozens of draft eligible players who could play like Tkachev but do not choose too--and for very good reason. So I cannot help but ask: having watched the Super Series and/or any other samplings of Tkachev, can anybody justify spending anything other than a 7th round pick on this guy?

Could you elaborate? Who do you have in mind actually? I agree that ANYBODY can play like this Tkachyov kid if you mean by that zero defense and floating around the blueline - but do you mean that you know dozens of eligible players who have similar skill and offensive tools also? If so - who are they? And even if you could name dozens of such players - that should not count as an argument for Tkachyov to slip to the 7th round. Rather, the reasons are: lack of size, lack of work ethic - and the Russian factor.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

He's a diva. I wonder how much of it bad influence from the agent is though. He was very much involved in that ugly thing before the KHL season when they(Tkachyov and the agent) basically tried to put pressure on his KHL team saying that he'd only stay if he gets a spot at the big team. That coming form a 17y.o. would make me kick his *** as a GM. Well, he's young. Maybe he believes too many things his agent tells him. Otherwise I have a big problem with his attitude.

I can easily see Varnakov cutting him for the WJC. And I would support that.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
There's rumors now he's coming to Moncton in January.

very much possible, he will not be getting a spot in the KHL. His best bet would be to play for the VHL farm, but if he wants to take the NA route, so be it. For a smallish creative player, imho, it's a very bad decision.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Bad decision for him, but he'll find that out soon enough. Wonder how much of this is a backlash of not being selected for the national team. At least he plays with Barbashev.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
one got to applaud him for leaving some serious money on the table, on the other hand - I am pretty sure - it is not the wises step he has taken in his career.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He loses a month of hockey because of paperwork issues. Should have stayed until the end of the year at least. Then next year Im sure Avangard would at least give him an honest look in training camp.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
John Moore ‏@rinkrant 19m
Wait is almost over for Vladimir Tkachev. Wildcats Coach Rumble says 17 yr Russian arrives Wed & will make debut at home Thur vs Sags.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Godd for his development. At least nobody will listen to his blackmailing over there. He plays well or he will be down and out pretty soon.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
he will play well, but it's only Junior Level, should have been working hard to crack the Y.Ural team in the VHL

I agree, he has outgrown junior hockey, he should be taking the next step. For sure playing with Barbashev will help him though, better than going to a team with no Russian/Euro guys who are good. In the first game you can see they connected already so not like he will be dumping and chasing like some of the other guys who get trapped in bad situations (ie. Yazkov, I went to watch him play a # of times, poor kid that's all I can say - he is in very bad situation right now).

Still, VHL would be optimal for him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Still, VHL would be optimal for him.

How the league where a game which features more than 4 goals is a high scoring one and teams just sit back and trap like crazy is optimal for an 18 year-old who's all-offense?

You have to dump (ironic play of words) this image of yours that Russian hockey is a magical place where the old-time-rush-hockey is played.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
How the league where a game which features more than 4 goals is a high scoring one and teams just sit back and trap like crazy is optimal for an 18 year-old who's all-offense?

You have to dump (ironic play of words) this image of yours that Russian hockey is a magical place where the old-time-rush-hockey is played.

I know you have heard of NIkita Gusev (similar styled player)?? He was a human highlight real in the VHL. The league for sure helped him make the jump to the KHL. Making jump straight from MHL -> KHL is rare. VHL is where you play against seasoned pros, CHL is where you play against kids, many of which who will be out of hockey in a few years.

And for your dump and chase comment, sometimes teams do dump/chase in the KHL, but since the ice is bigger many teams gain entry into the zone with the puck, more so than which is acceptable in NA.

Im not going to explain to you further because I know you follow the KHL please read interviews from Paul Maurice and also Alex Semin. They have already explained perfectly the style differences. Bochenski also did an interview recently were he noted more passing, less pinball style game.

Either way, Tkachev seems to be clicking with Barbashev and I have already seen a handful of there goals are off the rush which means the coach is not restricting their play. On the other hand go watch a Windsor Spitfire game. Yazkov and his 3rd line buddies dump in every single time and generate very few scoring chances. He is half the player he was before leaving to Windsor. Coaches orders.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I really hope the Oilers sign this guy he looked exceptional in the prospects series. I read above that some say he is selfish and defensively poor but, he really did a great job on the backcheck in the two games he played and his passing was unreal. Anybody see him in Moncton? How was his defense, did he pass at all?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad