LW Toni Rajala - Luleå HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Why is Koivu the bar for Finnish players? If it's not him, it's Selanne, and I really can't understand why Olli Jokinen is never talked about as one of the best Finns ever. Honestly, I'd rather hear about how these 2 compare to him than Saku Koivu.

That's because Jokinen hasn't brought Finland a gold medal from World Championships, unlike Koivu.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Koivu and Selanne have been around MUCH longer and are definately more well-known because they've lead successful careers with teams. Koivu is just that whole injury thing.

If Jokinen breaks 100 points or leads his team to a SC he'll be highly regarded in Finland.

Joretus

Anybody have any clips of him?

Mail me camera so I'll get many this year, I have some spare time on me and I have been thinking to watch Rajala this year. Since he is playing in same town and all. At least couple of games should be possible.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

hahaha that sounds like a scam if I've ever heard one ;)

Joretus

hahaha that sounds like a scam if I've ever heard one ;)

Well the camera part maybe, but I'll be going to watch at least couple of matches for sure. I'm getting bored of SM-Liiga, but junior games are interesting with top end talents and being cheap/free.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

umm... 17 posts a day is really nothing compared to others. Yes I do have a job.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

How does that concern you? Do you have a job? are you married? how about kids? :shakehead

Hahaha. Thanks

Sisu Suomi

@ who ever said they needed a camera

Are you sure you can't get a camera from a freind or something when you go to games?

Joretus

Hahaha. Thanks

Sisu Suomi

@ who ever said they needed a camera

Are you sure you can't get a camera from a freind or something when you go to games?

I have "camera", which is digi"toy"camera which can record 30mins or so. And don't have too much friends with video cameras either. But we'll see how it will be in couple of months, since games should be starting next month or so(real games that's).

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Rajala- Sidney Crosby with a Pat Kane ability to puck handle (I HAVE TO PUT THIS HERE BECAUSE I'LL GET CRAP FROM PEOPLE- MY DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SAYING RAJALA IS AS TALENTED AS CROSBY. I AM ONLY STATING THAT THEIR PLAY STYLE AND THE WAY THEY CONTROL THE GAME HAS UNCANNY RESEMBLANCE)

Pulkkinen- I really can't say right now. Possibly someone like Lecavalier or someone. Somebody who puts up good amounts of both points and has a good skill setting. Pulkkinen is a good goalscorer. He's not a sniper though. Possibly a Russian-esque goalscorer. Someone who's fancy. But I honestly have no idea for Pulkkinen. (SAME DISCLAIMER AS ABOVE)

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Rajala- Sidney Crosby with a Pat Kane ability to puck handle (I HAVE TO PUT THIS HERE BECAUSE I'LL GET CRAP FROM PEOPLE- MY DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SAYING RAJALA IS AS TALENTED AS CROSBY. I AM ONLY STATING THAT THEIR PLAY STYLE AND THE WAY THEY CONTROL THE GAME HAS UNCANNY RESEMBLANCE)

Pulkkinen- I really can't say right now. Possibly someone like Lecavalier or someone. Somebody who puts up good amounts of both points and has a good skill setting. Pulkkinen is a good goalscorer. He's not a sniper though. Possibly a Russian-esque goalscorer. Someone who's fancy. But I honestly have no idea for Pulkkinen. (SAME DISCLAIMER AS ABOVE)

So both are franchise calibre players?

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.

where have you seen him play? he sounds pretty frickin amazing

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
where have you seen him play? he sounds pretty frickin amazing

I don't mean to sound like a stalker here, just looking to give a quick reply because anywhere Fin has spoken of these players, I've pretty much done so as well...

He's seen them both a few times, most recently he videoed them, or at least Rajala on video, but yes these two are shaping up to be two dynamic players, and if all goes accordingly, they will gain much notoriety. More so Rajala since his draft year (09) is approaching sooner than Pulkkinen (10).

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Thanks WJH

Recently I aquired 2 full games of Toni Rajala on VHS. I have no means of changing them over to something I can upload. I'll post more when I get back... I'll devise a whole scouting report style thing with Pros and Cons.. etc.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Alright.. here we go

Recently I saw 2 games of Toni Rajala on VHS that some how my uncle had gotten for me.

Name: Rajala, Toni
Position: Left Wing
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 160 Lbs
Current Team: Ilves Tampere Junior-A team (I think he may even play a few games on Ilves Tampere SM-Liiga team this year too)

Pros:
  • Great Speed- Ability to control any game. The tournament game I saw he scored the first goal in :53 seconds on a Defensive Zone to Offensive Zone break away where he mutilated defenders
  • Supreme Puckhandling- He's got a way to make the puck stick to his stick. He's able to read the ice while maintaining a strong grip on the puck. This helps him create more plays than other people.
  • Great Shot- Since Rajala has no problem keeping the puck, he is able to avidly veiw the net for open spots and he's got a great shot. The first goal in the tournament game was a beauty. Skills like this is what people look for in the new NHL.
  • Mature Game- Playing many age levels above his shows a great level of maturity. This is the strongest comparison to Sidney Crosby. He plays like a veteran and he's a gem of a playmaker. He's got a great head. In the same tournament game with his 53 second goal, Rajala continued to set up 2 amazing goals. One of the passes was through traffic.
  • Early Age Spotlight- May be a curse or a gift, but scouts are now able to track his developement because his name got out there at such an early age. Alot of scouts are liking his package that he brings, with alot of great offensive tools.

Cons:
  • Still Developing Defensive Game- While Rajala is great with the puck and in the offensive zone, Rajala is still developing his defensive skills. While he does have a few assets, he still struggles a bit in his own zone. When he does get the puck in the D-Zone he does get it out.
  • 'Daigle-itus'- A sickening disease that overhypes players in the minor level. The major issue with Rajala is he is just coming into his competitive zone. Making Team Finland at the U18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament is great, so is making Ilves Junior-A, but until he plays games in those he's still just a junior-phenom. But I've got a good feeling he will continue because he possesses skills that will easily transfer team-to-team. I put this in Con because he hasn't shown anything on the big-arena yet, which is understanable because he's only 16 and he's only just begun to play with 20 year olds ;). But he will dominate at the Junor-A level and possibly make his SM-Liiga team this year.
  • Being Finnish- SM-Liiga is not the NHL (tell us something we don't know Finnerican!!). That may be a make-it or break-it point for him. Many stars like Joensuu, have done well in Finland but struggled in the NHL. But the path that Rajala is on right now is a positive one. In my opinion he will be a superstar in the NHL.

Future: Definately a NHL first liner, Franchise tag will be slapped on him soon enough. This kid is the real deal. Time and developement are on his side. Watch out in 2009 for Toni Rajala. He'll be a star. Mark my words.

Any more questions just ask me

Joretus

How old are you? If you have a job start puting away money for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-DV4500...228634?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1186767212&sr=1-15

It's not about money nor age, just not too much use for camera(same goes for most of my pals). I'm one of those who are only buying just what needs to go by, nothing extra. At least not too often.

But if I won't get camera footage at least I'll get good description, I hope. Since it's getting anyway sooner and sooner to draft age and he will be playing against 2-3 older guys maybe as well.

Joretus

(I think he may even play a few games on Ilves Tampere SM-Liiga team this year too)

That's not likely, Ilves have ok team and he is just 16y and just debuted in couple of games last year. It will be good enough challenge to play against 2-4 years older players this season. Surely if there will be huge developing and many injuries anything is possible, but not likely.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

It's not about money nor age, just not too much use for camera(same goes for most of my pals). I'm one of those who are only buying just what needs to go by, nothing extra. At least not too often.

But if I won't get camera footage at least I'll get good description, I hope. Since it's getting anyway sooner and sooner to draft age and he will be playing against 2-3 older guys maybe as well.

There's alot you can do with a camera! Like... shoot video? :p:

Just kidding. I dunno.. parents dont have one?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

That's not likely, Ilves have ok team and he is just 16y and just debuted in couple of games last year. It will be good enough challenge to play against 2-4 years older players this season. Surely if there will be huge developing and many injuries anything is possible, but not likely.

I agree. But the pace he's on... SM-Liiga B last season and played a few games of SM-Liiga A. This season? SM-Liiga A maybe a few games in SM-Liiga Senior? Victor Hedman has already played a couple games on his SEL team. I think that Rajala could definately put together a good run and maybe play a few games next season in Ilves Senior. I definately think he'll be in the SM-Liiga next year.

But of course you're right. There's many 'unseeable' factors that play into this. Injury is one. I just hope that they don't do it.

Eric Haula should play SM-Liiga Senior next year too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->