LW Samuel Poulin - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2019, 21st, PIT)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Samuel Poulin is a 6’1 200lb power forward, and the son of former NHL forward Patrick Poulin. He’s amassed 45 pts with Sherbrooke this year in the Q which is very impressive for a 16 year old. He plays on the team with his 20 year old undrafted brother Nicholas Poulin. He should be one to watch for 2019.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
I am from Sherbrooke. I saw him play all year. First of all , he is not a center. He's a winger. Our team had an amazing run at the end of the regular season and won the 1st round of the playoffs. He was a big part of that.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I am from Sherbrooke. I saw him play all year. First of all , he is not a center. He's a winger. Our team had an amazing run at the end of the regular season and won the 1st round of the playoffs. He was a big part of that.
Thanks for the input. He was listed as a center when I checked, and when I watched him play it seemed he was playing a central role, but you would know better than me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I could see NHL teams really loving this kid and maybe taking higher than where he's usually ranked.
Could very well see that. Several sub 6 foot forwards rated in the later part of the 1st. If your team covets size he’d be a guy to go after. Just have to determine what his offensive upside is. Very good numbers ins the Q.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Could very well see that. Several sub 6 foot forwards rated in the later part of the 1st. If your team covets size he’d be a guy to go after. Just have to determine what his offensive upside is. Very good numbers ins the Q.

He is 6'1 and 1/2 as per NHL Central Scouting .. Good player

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This guy ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of teams. At worst you're going to get a solid bottom-six player and there's nothing wrong with that at the end of the 1st round.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
This guy ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of teams. At worst you're going to get a solid bottom-six player and there's nothing wrong with that at the end of the 1st round.

Its true getting a bottom 6 player at the end of the first round is probably good when looking at history of a 22-30 range of players. However, you can get bottom 6 players through free agency, trade or potentially even a later round. I would rather gamble on a riskier player that has a higher perceived ceiling with a pick at this point in the draft.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Its true getting a bottom 6 player at the end of the first round is probably good when looking at history of a 22-30 range of players. However, you can get bottom 6 players through free agency, trade or potentially even a later round. I would rather gamble on a riskier player that has a higher perceived ceiling with a pick at this point in the draft.

Philosophically, sure. I kinda agree. However with Poulin I don't think you're giving up much on ceiling either. He's the top scorer on his team. End of the day I wouldn't be surprised if he's picked anywhere from 20-50 but after 50 he's a steal IMO.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I would rather gamble on a riskier player that has a higher perceived ceiling with a pick at this point in the draft.
Hockey-graphs did an interesting podcast on this subject. Namita Nandakumar did a study by weighting outcomes and probabilities. Not surprisingly it makes much more sense as a draft strategy to for high upside with every pick because getting one Gaudreau in the 4th or Stone in the 6th is more valuable than getting a 3rd line forward or 3rd pairing D-man in the last first or second. This is true because those players are always available as UFAs or through trade.
Of course determining who really has a higher ceiling (e.g. Trocheck or Lowry) as a 17-year-old is much easier in theory than practice.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe projects like a Jake DeBrusk type of player? Top end a 2nd line Guy or worst case a 3rd line banger.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Maybe projects like a Jake DeBrusk type of player? Top end a 2nd line Guy or worst case a 3rd line banger.

I don't really know. Debrusk himself is still a tough player to peg. He goes through spurts where he looks like a 40 goal scorer. He also scored a lot more goals in his draft year than Poulin.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I dont see anything that tells me more than bottom 6 player fighting for regular minutes in nhl
has stagnated to comparables

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I don't really know. Debrusk himself is still a tough player to peg. He goes through spurts where he looks like a 40 goal scorer. He also scored a lot more goals in his draft year than Poulin.

Draft year Poulin and Debrusk almost equal in point with bit more goal for Debrusk( on same match played) but in draft+1 only 21 goal for Debrusk.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Draft year Poulin and Debrusk almost equal in point with bit more goal for Debrusk( on same match played) but in draft+1 only 21 goal for Debrusk.

42 goals to 25 goals is more than "a bit more".

In his D+1 year Debrusk played through a brutal injury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->