LW/RW Pavel Gogolev - Sibir Novosibirsk, KHL (2018 undrafted; signed by TOR; traded to CHI released)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I can't believe he's gone undrafted both years. He's got a special scoring touch that is more than worth a late round flyer from any team

I'm always wary of any player that suddenly breaks out so late.

See Brett Leason from last years draft.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gogolev scored 30 goals during his draft season, so he was known as an interesting prospect for a long time. Drafting players like him in late rounds is worth to risk, I believe.

Sure in the late rounds he is worth the risk but most players passed over in the draft and then getting drafting after their draft season simply don't pan out at all.

Remember all of the 1st round talk (alot of it was mid 1st round as well) of BrettLeason last year?

I remember being ridiculed for suggesting that he wasn't worth a high pick (and really I have nothing against the guy and I hope every young hockey player exceeds expectations but that's not reality at all.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gogolev scored 30 goals during his draft season, so he was known as an interesting prospect for a long time. Drafting players like him in late rounds is worth to risk, I believe.

They certainly are... here are the 11 overagers with 1.50+ P/GP taken from 2005-15:

Tanner Pearson
Ondrej Palat
Mike Hoffman
Sven Andrighetto
Connor Garland
Andrew Mangiapane
Justin Azevedo
Justin DiBenedetto
Brandon Kozun
Stanislav Lascek
Danny Roussin (Crosby assisted)

6/11 became legit NHL players.
Azevedo, DiBenedetto and Kozun were all/are all top Euro leaguers/AHLers who had NHL cups of coffee, kind of "just about" missed the league but close.

Plus Lascek had the worst EV production of the group.

I mean, those "odds" from guys with comparable profiles are comfortably better than guys taken 2nd round overall of becoming NHL players.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Btw, OHL coaches named Gogolev second in "Best shot" and "Most dangerous in goal area" categories in OHL Western Conference, first was Connor McMichael and Gogolev lost to him by not a lot of votes. Also named 3rd best shootout shooter.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
They certainly are... here are the 11 overagers with 1.50+ P/GP taken from 2005-15:

Tanner Pearson
Ondrej Palat
Mike Hoffman
Sven Andrighetto
Connor Garland
Andrew Mangiapane
Justin Azevedo
Justin DiBenedetto
Brandon Kozun
Stanislav Lascek
Danny Roussin (Crosby assisted)

6/11 became legit NHL players.
Azevedo, DiBenedetto and Kozun were all/are all top Euro leaguers/AHLers who had NHL cups of coffee, kind of "just about" missed the league but close.

Plus Lascek had the worst EV production of the group.

I mean, those "odds" from guys with comparable profiles are comfortably better than guys taken 2nd round overall of becoming NHL players.

how about overagers not drafted as well. That is the list we have to look at.

Reactions: JAVO16

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
A strong message to russian CHLers. Even relative success in the CHL does not seem to impress NHL GMs and scouts.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
A strong message to russian CHLers. Even relative success in the CHL does not seem to impress NHL GMs and scouts.

Honestly it seems that MHL has been getting more and more respect from GMs the last few years .

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Not sure if it has been confirmed yet but Gogolev looks to be on his way to Sweden to play for Vasby in the Allsvenskan league . This is the same team that top 20212 prospect Brandt Clarke joined recently. Would have thought he'd go back to Russia but this is probably an appropriate level for him. Allsvenskan is a bit stronger than the VHL but obviously weaker than SHL and KHL, where ice time would likely be hard to come by.

Last edited:
Reactions: bagsw

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Honestly it seems that MHL has been getting more and more respect from GMs the last few years .
I think one of the reasons for that is that you havae more time to sign your prospects when you draft them out of the MHL. You only have 2 years if you draft them in the CHL and after thei junior years are up, there's nowhere to go really unless you sign them to AHL contracts...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad