C Otto Koivula (2016, 120th, NYI)

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
People who've actually watched him in the AHL: Do you feel like he has an NHL future?
I have not seen him play but people who I talk to who have seen him says skating is what would hold him back. Good Skill he has good hands and he uses his size well. Not a p***ycat like say Khavasha was. I’m optimistic he can be a bottom 6 forward maybe even center which he has been playing. For a guy who was an early season scratch he has become one of the SoundTigers best players as a rookie.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep, skating has always been Otto Koivula's big weakness. If he was an average skater he wouldn't really have a whole lot of issues becoming an NHL player in my opinion. He's big, he's smart and has fantastic hands.

However, what most of us didn't see coming is his massive improvement since moving up to play C. He's not a Dylan Strome level prospect but Strome's recent success indicates that you don't necessarily need to be a great skater to still be successful if you are put in a good position to succeed.

Reactions: Ippenator

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Slick backhand goal at around the 1 min mark...

Up to 32 points in 35 games as a center after last nights OT winner.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yep, skating has always been Otto Koivula's big weakness. If he was an average skater he wouldn't really have a whole lot of issues becoming an NHL player in my opinion. He's big, he's smart and has fantastic hands.

However, what most of us didn't see coming is his massive improvement since moving up to play C. He's not a Dylan Strome level prospect but Strome's recent success indicates that you don't necessarily need to be a great skater to still be successful if you are put in a good position to succeed.

Otto definitely has increased his value since moving to North America

scott99

May 13, 2005
People said skating would hold Anders Lee back. He has 40 goal and 34 goal seasons to his name. Koivula may a different kind of player though, he’s more of a playmaker than Lee, but I can see him being a 3rd line center who can score 30+ points a year, maybe even more. I’m not worried about his skating, he’s only 20 years old.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
People said skating would hold Anders Lee back. He has 40 goal and 34 goal seasons to his name. Koivula may a different kind of player though, he’s more of a playmaker than Lee, but I can see him being a 3rd line center who can score 30+ points a year, maybe even more. I’m not worried about his skating, he’s only 20 years old.
Third line center seems like a decent projection

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

By no means am I comparing him to Barkov. But that was Barkov's main critique also, skating. And he has done very well in the NHL. As is Strome right now as you mention.

I am curious, has Koivula improved his skating since being drafted. This video of him going end to end illustrates to me, he is anything but a bad skater.

To any Finnish fan, please feel free to opine.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Absolutely disrespected the Marlies goaltender tonight in the shootout.

After Dobson, Otto is going to have the biggest impact for the Isles if he can gain a step or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: sebsisles

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Any chance he cracks the NYI lineup next season? Or will it be a AHL season with some potential callups here and there?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Any chance he cracks the NYI lineup next season? Or will it be a AHL season with some potential callups here and there?

He is still relatively new to playing center so he'll be in the AHL. He will be Bridgeport's #1C and probably be matched up with Wahlstrom and Bellows like at the end of last year. Depending on how he does, he might see some NHL action. Big boys tend to take a little time and he turns 21 in September.

If his development goes well this year, he might factor in the big club's plans in 2020-21.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I would have said "no (or little) chance" before July 1st but its now 3 weeks later and the Islanders still haven't filled their #3/4C (depending on what you consider Cizikas). At this point, its probably between Otto and Tanner Fritz for that last Center spot. I'm sure they'll pick up a veteran on the cheap to compete for that spot but absent a trade, there's no one that they pick up that Otto won't at least have a chance to compete against in camp.

I'm sure the plan is for him to start in BP this season. But plans have a funny way of changing real quick based on injuries, etc.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Any chance that Otto Koivula would make the cut and play in the NHL in opening day?

Most likely not. Islanders have 15 forwards already(although Ladd and Clutterbuck may start on the injury list) and 8 Defensemen if Dobson(who I am guessing gets at least 9 games) sticks. The fact he is waiver exempt(compared to Ho Sang or Dal Colle) most likely means he is the easiest to send down

Islanders seem to be grooming him to play center(after being drafted as a winger) so I am guessing they want to groom him more since he has only played the position less then a full season and no chance of that happening if he is siting in the pressbox. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a callup later in the season if a Center goes down

There is always the chance if Islanders really need to open a roster spot they can send Ross Johnson down(who spent the majority of last year in the press box) but I am guessing as I said above right now getting alot of playing time is priority #1 for Otto

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->